ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Chase from L.A.

What do you guys think of EVOLVE seemingly becoming the “AA” to NXT’s “AAA” when it comes to WWE developmental following the events of EVOLVE 114 Sunday night? It seems to be a divisive issue among the EVOLVE fanbase, with some lamenting the idea that the promotion is becoming more and more tied in with WWE.

And what do you think of WWE’s ever-expanding plans to partner with promotions around the world as entry points to markets? We’ve already seen it with PROGRESS and ICW leading to NXT UK, and now it’s seemingly happening in Germany with a new partnership with wXw and the reports that WWE wants to open an NXT Germany brand. And then you have Hunter’s pitch to investors about NXT offshoots in East Asia and the Middle East. How many sub-brands can WWE possibly support?

Ari from Montreal
With the recent signing of Chelsea Green (Zack Ryders significant other), Britt Baker appearing (Adam Coles significant other) Ray Rowe (sarah logans significant other) do you guys see Dionna Purrazo significant other everyones favorite villian making his way to wwe sooner than later?

Why did you choose to not display the monthly pledges you’re getting from Patreon? :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

You alluded to ‘tension’ on a previous Ask-a-Wai between you and the former LAW hosts. Has that been resolved? Is there any chance we will hear you together again? What can you tell us about this situation a year on without getting salacious.

I love my new POST t shirt! Thanks!

Daley

RHLSTP!

Right?!

My good friends, how are you guys today?

The reason for my interesting opening remark is that I do indeed consider you guys my friends. It is a rather unique, primarily one way friendship with myself listening in on your conversations as a third party. I would like to think that other post marks would feel similarly to myself but I’m not sure. I listen to other podcasts (non wrestling of course) and feel I have the same friendship with those hosts. Is this weird or do you guys feel the same about podcasts that you regularly listen to? It may not be the same friendship as when I go out for ribs with my “real world” friends, but I consider us friends none the less.

P.S. I mean were friends in the least creepy, non stalker way possible. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Dustin from Maui:

I know this is a really broad question. But why do MMA fighters shoot for a smaller weight class, instead of being comfortable in their own weight class? Why cut the 20 lbs in order to make

One more question: 3rd Bass, Snow, or House of Pain?

Btw, Jake Roberts was on “the Joe Rogan Experience” podcast. It’s a great listen.

• Thank you so very much!!

What are your top three recommendations for indie wrestling in the GTA?

SMASH is always a favorite around here but im hearing good things about Destiny in my neck of the woods.

What indie shows have you attended recently?

Imran from Huddersfield

Last month, the England football team played a match in Croatia in a completely empty stadium - UEFA had implemented a stadium ban on the Croatians for something they had done, meaning no fans could attend. Then, we heard about that idea of AJ Styles vs. Daniel Bryan taking place in Stanford instead of Crown Jewel - so it all got me thinking… do you think a full wrestling event or show could work in a totally empty area? and if so, is there a limit to how good it could be?

Apologies for wording the above question poorly. To clarify, I have read a lot of journalists who deal with crime, war etc, who are either so numb to tragedy or so career focused that they cannot hide their excitement when a big story breaks no matter how horrific the news is. I was interested to find out if, journalistically, you feel a degree of excitement when a big wrestling story breaks, that forces you to speak about issues not generally associated with the sports or wrestling world such as the Saudi Arabia situation.

For what it’s worth, you’re coverage was excellent, so I hope there was some element of enjoyment for you.

Are the Young Bucks and Briscoes the Indy version of the New Day and Usos? And between those 4 teams, what program would you most want to see?

I loved the Bound For Glory model in TNA. I know it wasn’t perfect every year but the year Bobby Roode won was excellent and AJ Styles in 2013 was also pretty good.

I think a similar model could be used for the Sole Survivors of Survivor series in Nov through to the Royal Rumble in late January. This way you could have an easy story to enter some lower card people in the mix

Would you be keen to see this in the WWE?

2 Likes

James from New Plymouth

Hi guys,

Thought I’d ask this as it’s fresh in my mind and seeing as you both dig graphic novels. Are you aware of the “Comic book story of professional wrestling” by Aubrey Sitterson? I work in a public library and spotted it coming in as a new book, gave it a go and was really impressed. It brushes over some areas understandably and gets a bit wwe heavy toward the end, but the art style and areas it covers had me reading it whenever I could. Best wrestling graphic novel for me since “Andre the Giant” by Box Brown. Thanks guys.

Hi John and Wai,

I love the MCU reviews. With the new release of The Marine 6, Would you consider reviewing films from the other MCU (the Marine Cinematic Universe)?

Or could you see yourselves review other WWE Studios films?

1 Like

It seems ProWrestlingTees has the merch market cornered, and you guys had a great visit there over All In weekend. How come you guys didn’t use them for your new store?

1 Like

Hi,
I know you guys have answered a version of this question before, but I’d like to hear it answered again if possible. Who have been some of the best wrestlers/fighters you have an interviewed as far as great answers to your questions? Who were the easiest people to work with? On the other side of the coin, what were some interviews that didn’t go as well? Who was the most difficult to work with?

Hey John and Wai, I have a question for you. I have asked this before somewhere else on a Q&A about a month ago so I apologize if you’ve heard this before but it was to someone who didn’t really watch the show. I know John does so I was hoping to see what you thought.

Will Lucha Underground get any credit for being a part of the wrestling boom when this modern era of wrestling is looked back on? I’ve been watching it since day 1 and push the Creative writing out of it, this was the place where Many people, including myself, first saw Pentagon, Fenix, Ricochet (on US TV), Shane Strickland, Matt Cross, Cage, The Mack, Jeff Cobb, and countless other stars who literally have been the face of Indy wrestling since the time this show debuted. Before this, I never saw these guys all over my twitter feed in gifs or booked locally near me in the metro Detroit area. I know everyone laughs at LU but if it weren’t for that show, would these guys really have taken off like they did? Hell they made Alberto El Patron interesting when he feuded with Johnny Mundo who turned heel. Would it have happened anyways and it’s just a coincidence?

I don’t blame anyone for thinking it’s cringe, but I think they have a good sized role in today’s wrestling landscape despite the low ratings. They got the attention of the right people who in return booked them and got more eyes on wrestlers who are on their roster. Personally I really hope they come back with Season 5 because the fan in me wants to see Dario return to the Temple and also how the major storyline of the Gods plays out.

Thanks guy, keep up the great work

Hi, don’t mean to be an idiot or offend anyone but could we not ask just random questions such as ‘What size shoes are you guys?’ or ‘What’s your favorite colour?’
If you havent got anything to ask one month thats OK. These guys put out so much content as it is, its sometimes annoying when they have to answer random questions as they’ve said they’ll answer anything.
I’m obviously not the police here and you can ask what you want but it would be great if we could all think and not ask stuff for the sake of asking :slight_smile:
Cheers all

3 Likes

Hey guys, two questions for you.

First, we often speculate what the power structure of the WWE will look like when Vince McMahon is no longer at the helm. As there will inevitably come a day when we see a wrestling world without Vince McMahon, there too will come a day when wrestling journalism finds itself without the services of Dave Meltzer, whom I believe many would consider the “Vince McMahon” of that particular field. Who would you consider to be the front-runners who may assume the mantle as the pre-eminent voice in wrestling journalism (perhaps yourselves?), or will the field become too diverse to be centralized around a singular voice as it currently sometimes seems to be?

Second, with the PWG fall/winter sale back in swing, do you have any recommendations for past-PWG dvd’s I should look into picking up? (non-compilations preferred)

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Now that we’ve seen Shawn Michaels come out of retirement for a big match, big payday… Are there any other retired superstars you’d personally like to see come out of retirement for one more match?

I’d love to see Dean Malenko in the ring again.