ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi Guys,

As somebody who moved continents in the last decade, the fact that this was in the vpn/streaming age was invaluable in being able to continue to keep up with media, sport and news from home. Wai; during your childhood/teenage years, what media/sport/pop culture from Hong Kong (or Asia more broadly) did you have the interest in and access to continue to keep up with? Is there any of this you’d like to share with Oscar when he’s old enough?

Dustin from Maui,

To be honest, your latest “Succession” spoilers actually drew me to stream the show. I’m on episode 2 and it’s really good!! You have Cameron from Ferris Bueller as the hippie older brother and Kieran Culkin kills the show. So far, Tom is probably my favorite character. He is super unhinged and hilarious.
Q: What is the most remote place that you’ve traveled to? For me, Barrow, Alaska. I was just out of high school and got a job assisting an Oceanography professor at the University of Hawai’i. He has MS and needed a traveling aid.

Thanks guys!!

Agree or disagree:
At Wrestlemania 30 Vince McMahon ended the streak because he was pissed off at the fans for forcing Daniel Bryan into the main event. (The answer is: absolutely he did)

1 Like

Ron from Chicago here,

Thanks again for answering my question; as a follow-up, the bagged milk we in grade school had was small pouches. Anyway, here is a more wrestling-related question for this month, what was the shortest distance you had to travel for a show? For me, it was a short 10 min car ride to the world-famous Berywn Eagle Club to watch some local indies, but this year Impact will be running three shows in my local neighborhood sports center, including Bound for Glory, which will be a slightly shorter 7 min car ride. As for the longest one I did, it was the AEW shows at the Now Arena which is nearly an hour’s drive from the southside of Chicago.

Thanks again guys.

Vince from Sacramento

I will be going to a Tim Horton’s location for the first time ever next month. After almost a decade of listening to stories from you two about Tim Horton’s, I am pretty excited. Do you have any top recommendations for what to get?

1 Like

Do you prefer Seinfeld or Friends? (If you’ve seen both shows)

1 Like

Who in AEW do you think is most deserving of being AEW World Heavyweight Champion when MJF drops the belt, excluding the former champions (Jericho, Mox, Omega, Hangman, & Punk)?

Saeed from Vancouver.

Like how Pat Mcafee has Aaron Rodgers as a regular on his show who is an active NFL player, If you could each choose an active wrestler to speak with on a weekly basis who would it be?

What are your opinions on writers for televised wrestling, and in particular, for AEW?

Cody and TK have made their distaste of formal writers known, and the awful writing of WWE has been on display for years, but for AEW in particular, I think that is part of their issue. Although TK has said he has a booking committee, he also is in charge of six wrestling shows if you include All Access, along with is Fulham and Jacksonville duties. Writers have worked for Lucha Underground, and current IMPACT has creative wrestlers like Jimmy Jacobs who became writers. Writers could also solve continuity issues that TK could miss, like why Dark Order didn’t come to Hangman’s aid last week, or bigger character issues, like Sammy and Daniel Garcia still being Jericho lackeys instead of at an MJF or Darby level.

HI guys, , drive to survive(dts not bts) was all of our gateways into f1.

Ive watched point break by the same creators on tennis. Not as good as dts for sure but tennis is bearable to watch for me now.

I stopped at the golf show. Any interest in any of these programs? What other sports or topics would be worthy of the docuseries treatment?

Keep up the great work guys!

1 Like

Luk from Quebec!

For my question this month I thought I’d do some Likely/Unlikely!

So, LIKELY or UNLIKELY:

-Steve Austin wrestles another match in WWE?
-Orange Cassidy one day becomes the AEW World Champion?
-Mauro Ranallo eventually does some commentary for an AEW show?
-MJF loses the World title before his contract ends?
-Jay White wins a singles championship in 2023?
-Jim Johnston gets added to the WWE Hall of Fame?
-We get to see a match including the full Undisputed Era in 2023?

Thank you guys!

I work in the public sector so spend all day talking to people and listening to their problems. When I get home I often just want to sit in silence and not talk ti anyone, much to the dismay of my wife. Does this affect you guys at all as your job is largely talking?

Hey guys, last month I asked about whether you preferred podcast downloads over YouTube views etc and Wai said he loved this stuff. Something I recently did was go back and download a few old podcasts like the 2018 All In review and a few other captivating episodes over the last 5 years…do you have access to see which shows in your catalog get downloaded on a daily or weekly basis? Like have you ever wondered why some random show in 2018 was listened to/downloaded by 20 to 30 people in 2023? I’ve always wondered about that. I guess the same could go for website views, have you ever seen an older news article get higher than normal traffic and wonder why?

Thanks again guys

Which F1 team do you root for? You two are the main reason for me becoming a fan this year and deciding to pay attention to the season and watch every race. After watching Drive To Survive in full it’s hard to not want to root for Gunther Steiner and Haas, they’re the only American team and Steiner is just great. But I’m conflicted.

1 Like

I went back to my personal archives and I recall hearing an episode of the LAW back in December 2009 where John was very concerned about the future direction of business and that the 2000s decade was very detrimental to the overall health of the industry.

Fast forward to 2023, with everything that’s going on in wrestling now, WWE having great PLEs recently with Backlash, Elimination Chamber, and an all-time WrestleMania and with AEW close to filling out Wembley Stadium, and indies doing well on streaming throughout the world, introducing new up and coming talent, would you say the wrestling industry as a whole is in a better place than 10-15 years ago? I wouldn’t use the word “boom”, because it hasn’t reached that point of mainstream popularity but I’m happy to see wrestling overall being so healthy compared to the late 2000s/early 2010s.

2 Likes

Agreed. The monopoly and the failure of TNA/Impact definitely hurt the industry between 2001-2019. AEW is the best thing to happen to wrestling in decades, whether you’re a WWE fan or not. Everything got better, it was a domino effect.

1 Like

Sal from California

Which AEW world champion’s title run have you personally enjoyed the most?

John, you often mention books that you’ve read and I always wonder how you fit everything in with 2 young kids. Are you an audiobook listener? Do you have any recent recommendations (wrestling or otherwise)?

Wai are you a reader or listener to books at all?

Are there many people downloading and listening to your shows way after the fact? I am always way behind with all the shows and I sometimes wonder if you are curious about the weird downloads of random Rewind a SmackDown or Post News shows from months ago.

1 Like

Hey guys, first time long time… we’ve crossed paths at AIW in 2016 before UFC and at All In weekend and you guys were the ultimate thrill ride in person…

That being said, I had 2 quick questions:

1. What would it take to give Vanderpump Rules a shot? I’ve been watching it for over 10 seasons and it never disappoints. I talked to my wife about it and we settled on 2 episodes that we think could get its foot in the door.

2. Pound for pound, how would you rate GCW amongst the major promotions in the world (AEW, WWE, New Japan, Stardom, AAA)? Each of the aforementioned companies are the best in the industry for various niches but while GCW will never be considered #1 for any particular niche, their shows consistently provide the best variety on a single show between comedy, workrate, women’s wrestling, lucha, strong style, scrambles and death matches often all under the tent of a single show.

Thanks again,

Brian in Cleveland