ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

You got great exposure from What Culture recently, have you seen an increase in listeners or patrons as a result?

I know I’m probably in the minority but I find my enjoyment of matches is getting eroded by the incessantly irritating chants. NXT marks are the worst for it. So here are five chants ranked from my least to most hated (for some reason when I save the post it converts the numbers from 5 to 1 to 5 to 9?!).

1. This is wrestling (annoying)
  2. You deserve it (do you know what you deserve)
  3. This is awesome (no it’s not, it is probably a daft spot fest with no psychology or story)
  4. Both these guys (what? damn, I forgot that one!)
  5. Fight forever (Please stick a screwdriver in my ears Jeff and make it stop!)

How would you rank them?

alex from minneapolis
2 questions

1. what are your guys memories of Ladder War 6? Frankie Kazarian tweeting a photo of the graphic for TLC 2 in the lead up will always be my first thought of that match because of how the bucks, Addiction, and MCMG’s surpassed what the previous generation accomplished
  2. what entrance themes from old shows do you feel the wwe network kills the feel with their dubbing over?

I fear with the events at Survivor Series, WWE are just going to transfer Becky’s storyline onto Charlotte, and book Charlotte like the ass kicking badass so they push Becky down the card and go with their originally planned main event at Mania, Charlotte Vs Ronda. What are your thoughts on this, is this a legitimately plausible scenario? Would WWE big making a big mistake?

Chris from Australia.

What does John know of the “WCW: World Championship Wrestling (Australia)” which ran from 1964-1978?

• As an Australian it’s a promotion that has always interested me, especially since for their time they had a stacked roster (Andre the Giant, Bruiser Brody, Bruno Sammartino, Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, & Pat Paterson just to name a few). I can recall my father telling me of when he was a boy they would sit around the television every Sunday lunch and watch “TV Ringside” which aired nationally on channel Nine. Sadly the promotion ended when the broadcast owner decided to cancel some programs to free up broadcast time for Cricket. Without TV money the promotion shrunk and closed down.
1 Like

If you were Triple H, what would be the next 3 NXT international promotions, in order? And would they all follow a weekly show format, or something different? I myself would choose, in order: Australia, Japan, Mexico.

Imran from Huddersfield

Your review of Payback 2013 reminded me that my least favourite stipulation match used by the WWE is the ambulance match. If two opponents hate each other so much, why would the want to assist the other person in their journey to a hospital?! I also really dislike a stretcher match for a similar reason… plus that one has the idea that you have to wheel the other person over an arbitrary line on the ramp, which is a really dumb way to win a match.

So having said all that, apart from David Arquette Death Matches, what are your least favourite stipulation matches?

Question for John. On your Observer HOF ballot you did not vote for Akiyama.

Have you voted for him in the past or plan to again in the future?

If not what are your major cons against voting for him, and if All Japan should continue rebuilding itself under his leadership, what level of success for them would sway you to vote for Akiyama?

Thanks!

What are the plans for NXT UK? As far as I know the UK performers aren’t at the Orlando Performance Centre, do WWE plan to open a UK PC? Is it even considered a developmental division for guys to make their way to the main roster?

Brandon from Oshawa

With WWE stepping up their content recently on YouTube, what do you think the likelihood is of a Being The Elite, or similar type show, happening if the Bucks, Cody, etc came to the WWE?

Ari from montreal
Should wwe have a concept like Option C like in tna?

Max from Seattle

I have a self-admittedly dumb ratings related question for John.

During the Monday Night Wars, living on the west coast we were able to watch Nitro and Raw back to back since Turner channels were broadcast nationally on the east coast feed and USA was timezone specific.
What are the chances that a larger part of the “3 million people that stopped watching” when WCW closed up shop were just west coast viewers that had been counted twice, or who were already watching Raw on the west coast airing?

This seems far too obvious and dumb to actually be the case right?

Just a few quick questions for you guys. 1) Will we still get an update on when the guy on the corner of Wai’s parents house puts up his Xmas decorations? 2) Who are your top 3 Favorite Blue Jays of all time? I know Vince likes clean rings, but with this new Fox deal do you see him finally putting sponsorships on the ring mat itself?

Steve in the UK

Do you guys think you would ever consider approaching Anthem concerning the old LAW interviews that i thought really enhanced the old Rewind a wai show? They seem a cooperative bunch nowadays and all that stuff is just gathering dust. Cheers as always.

Pat from Boston

Hi guys,

Thanks for all you do! One thing I have been wondering about lately is WWE’s incredibly hectic house show schedule. I know that many years ago the money from house shows was a big revenue source for WWE and its talent However, as house show business has declined to one of it’s lowest points in recent memory, and as WWE’s revenue model has shifted due to the astronomical TV deals and the advent of the WWE Network, can you ever envision a scenario in which the house show schedule is dramatically reduced?

I have to imagine that working less dates would be boon for the health of WWE performers and that perhaps with less shows in each market, there would be more interest in the occasional house show that does come to town. The grind that WWE talent go through every year seems almost foolish at this point when the profits are a drop in the bucket for the company compared to other revenue drivers.

G’day mates.

So do you think the UFC made the right decision to let Sage Northcutt go? And what promotion do you think he’ll end up in?

Also, what ever happened to Todd Grisham calling UFC events? I never really heard why they stopped using him.

Jordan from Sydney

Hi John & Wai,

I’m curious about the occasions you’ve both been sent out to do interviews in the past, have you ever had really disappointing shooting days that stand out in your mind where all the interviewees just weren’t responsive?
Would you change anything up with how you conduct the interviews if the first couple didn’t hit as I’d imagine there would be heavy pressure to get everything you need on a shoot?

Jake here:

What are your all-time favorite seasons of The Ultimate Fighter?

I was on Youtube looking for the trailer for Pollock vs Ting and i stumbled upon some great videos like DJ JoPO and a interview with Gina Carano. What were those videos?

Hi Guys,

Question for John

What are your top 5 Emjay songs? Or some of your favourites?

These are mine

1. In Your Arms
  2. Falling In Love
  3. You Say Love
  4. Be My Man
  5. Bring Me

That 1995 album was so good. Only 2 songs (Summertime and Far Away) were not that good.

Question for Wai

Were you dissapointed with Weezer’s albums after the first 2 albums? Or was your interest already gone by the time the 3rd album came out?

Those first 2 albums were great and fun to listen to.