ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Burak from London here.

Question for both of you.

Please describe your version of Hell on a Dinner Plate.

It’s often said that the key to a better product, better ratings and so on is creating more stars. After reviewing the Survivor Series booking, it’s clear that most of the stars are on Raw. Raw had to win 3 matches to protect people on that brand, namely Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar and Drew McIntyre. You could also count the women’s match going Raw’s way due to a need to protect Nia Jax for her match with Ronda. Meanwhile, Smackdown’s bigger names such as Charlotte and newly-crowned champion Daniel Bryan are seen to be able to absorb a loss.

With that being said, my question is this - if WWE books all of its stars to be on Raw, how is it that Smackdown, with fewer true stars, is consistently the better show? Could it be that the fascination with creating stars has been overblown compared to the importance of good writing and good matches, or is there more to it?

P.s. Apologies to John for the reaction he had to my name :smiley:

Anthony from Melbourne

As distasteful as incorporating mentions of Romans health in Seth and Deans feud (I imagine it has the blessing of Roman). I have a separate issue with it, the way Roman made his announcement completely removed his medial condition from anything you could incorporate into story line, because when he said “I play a character” that was it, the story-line aspect was all over!

Even on that Raw when they replayed highlights all night while story-line events were taking place, it did not fit and took me out of the show. How do you guys feel about using the term “I play a character” during a wrestling show broadcast, I feel like it was unnecessary and reminds me of Russo WCW half shoot style booking that was unsuccessful to say the least.

​

According to Wikipedia at the time of reading, the Raw roster has 37 men and 14 women, Smackdown has 32 men and 11 women, and 18 Cruiserweights (some appearing on NXT UK, and the Lucha House Party on Raw). What do you think is the answer to all of this talent? Having Heat and Velocity seemed to have a decent purpose, and a rejuvenation of these brand-specific B-shows on the Network would be nice to see. There is also the key point that, of course, actually using their Raw and SmackDown shows to their full potential, which I feel they aren’t completely.

Question for Ask a Wai Dec 18

Hi John and Wai.

I am submitting this question for this months ask a wai and I would love to hear your thoughts.

My question is, what do you think of Eric Bischoff and Bruce Prichard recently by using their popular platforms (something to wrestle with and 83 weeks) to take aim at and systematically discredit the so called wrestling ‘dirt sheets’ namely Wrestling Observer and PWTorch.

I am a subscriber to both Keller and Meltzer’s websites and have read their newsletters through the years. Whilst It may be true that not ever rumour that’s ever been reported is 100% true, I am generally happy with their independent coverage and documentation of wrestling history.

Wrestling seems to be the only genre that pushes back so much on independent coverage.
Don’t even get me started on Vince Russo’s war on the dirt sheets…Even MMA seems to grant more access to legitimate journalists covering the sport.

Can you guys envisage a time when the wrestling journalism will be embraced by the industry power brokers and not looked down upon with so much disdain as it is is now? Also what do you guys think of the Bruce Pritchard and Bischoff’s podcast.

Thanks guys, I absolutely love your shows and am so proud of the moves you’ve made in the last one year plus. I have Listened to your reviews since the fight network days. You havr brightened up many a morning commute for me with your insightful opinions and banter.

Patreon member
Abdou from Chelmsford England

Sent from my iPhone

Hey guys; I’m still loving Business Wars, right now listening to Red Bull vs Monster; what’s your thoughts on the energy drinks (fans of them, their impact on MMA culture, etc)

Last question, I’m in the retail business more specifically mobile and smart home. Have you guys tried any Smart home technology and how’s that been (I.e.; amazon Alexa, google home, Phillips hue lights, nest, ring, chromecast streaming devices etc) also I know you guys prefer iPhone over Samsung, but what’s your history with cell phones what else have you had besides Apple.

Should (or could) IMPACT have made a play for The Elite? I’m sure that on their own Anthem could not afford them, but seeing as both their TV contract and The Elite’s ROH contracts finish at the end of 2018, would it have made sense for the two parties to talk and to seek out a TV partner for IMPACT with The Elite as the stars, and netting a bulk of the cash from a potential TV deal? IMPACT would get some needed buzz and star-power, and The Elite wouldn’t need to worry about the logistics of starting their own fed like acquiring talent, booking venues, and legal extras, and could probably even get (a degree of) creative control and the opportunity to still work limited NJPW/ROH dates since they have the bargaining power. Would a channel even be interested in an offer like that with IMPACT attached, at least enough to make a substantial offer, or does this ALL ELITE thing seem to be The Elite’s most financially and creatively viable option?

Brandon from Oshawa

I recently caught some of TLC 2010 on the Network and saw a #1 contender for the WWE Title ladder match between John Morrison & Sheamus. I did not even remember this match ever happening and just expected Sheamus to win, as I remember him being involved with the WWE Title over his career, but to my surprise Morrison won, in what I thought was a really excellent ladder match. I kind of did some digging after this and read that he got his title shot on an episode of Raw. Do you know if there was any bigger plans for Morrison in the main event picture and what ended up going wrong? I know he’s never been great at promos, but everything else about him screams superstar to me. I think he’d fit in especially well in todays WWE.

Wai, what is your interest for the new Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie that is about to be released (but should be already released as of this show recording date). Have you watched much of Super? If you had to pick one fusion character would it be Gogeta or Vegito? I’d go with Gogeta. John, I hope you’re having a good day.

Wai. I’ve heard you talk about enjoying metal and hard rock bands, but John, not so much. My question for both of you is who is your favorite metal or hard rock bands that you’re listening to?

Jesse from the 6

Alternate History Question:

It is January 23rd, 1985. You are Vince McMahon. Your champion of a year, Hulk Hogan, has torn his ACL and MCL and is out for a year. You are a few months away from the first ever WrestleMania and a few weeks out from “The War to Settle the Score” special on MTV.

On whom do you put the WWF Title? What is your main event for WrestleMania?
Do you think this altered WrestleMania is still a smashing success? Does this hypothetical injury change the course of wrestling history?

you don’t need to read the rest out

For reference, here are some of the prominent members of the WWF roster in early 1985:

Intercontinental Champion: Greg Valentine (heel) - faced Junkyard Dog at WrestleMania I
Tag Team Champions - The US Express (Wyndham & Rotundo; faces) - faced the Iron Sheik and Volkoff at WrestleMania I
Women’s Champion - Wendi Richter (face) - Richter lost the title to Leilani Kai on MTV and won it back at WrestleMania I

Top Faces:
Andre the Giant
Tito Santana
JYD
Ricky Steamboat
Hillbilly Jim
Jimmy Snuka
Mr. T (kind of)

Top Heels:
Roddy Piper
Paul Orndorff
Bob Orton
Big John Studd
King Kong Bundy

Notes: Macho Man Randy Savage would sign in June and debut as a heel. Let’s say Vince could bring him in a few months earlier for a lot of money.
Bruno Sammartino was pretty much retired but would wrestle a few more matches in his career. In theory, he could be convinced to wrestle at 'Mania for the right price.

Take Care

John, are you still a massive fan of the Christmas season? What are your guys favorite holidays you celebrate? What are some of your favorite traditions you enjoy during any holidays during the calendar year? Thanks.
-Daniel P. Stack

Jake from The Windy City

I remember listening to The LAW back in August 2011 when all of you had a lot of questions regarding The UFC on FOX. Now that UFC’s run on FOX is coming to an end, What’s been the biggest changes you’ve noticed in MMA and the UFC since the beginning of the deal and do you think it was an overall success story?

2 Likes

Branavan from Ajax Ontario

My question is for both John and Wai: What is are your thoughts on New Japan not having women’s wrestlers? It is understandable why people would like that but they don’t seem to understand that if NJPW did have women the joshi scene would be in trouble as well as other issues. Personally I would like to see a crossover show(s) with New Japan and Stardom so that Stardom can get exposure but still maintains it’s own identity.

I’m gonna ask you guys to break kayfabe, brother, and peek behind the POST Wrestling curtain. Brother Nate made me think of this question during his appearance on RAR. How long does it take for you guys to put together the Christmas Show in terms of getting guests? How early do you guys start recording the appearances of the different entrants in the Rumble? Thanks, and Happy New Year!

1 Like

A Post Wrestling-related question here. Do you guys have a plan to expand more than what it currently is? I love the Cafe Hangout, but I know you guys could thrive with some other formats as well. Video podcasts like you did back when you were with the LAW? Watch-A-Longs of past matches etc? Or is there something different you had in mind?

Ari from montreal
What has happened with Austin Aries? Since his "shoot"at Bound for Glory there is no news or mention of him

Just two quick questions:

1. On the December 17th edition of Rewind-A-Raw Wai & Nate said that with WWE’s Fresh Start that the second brand split may end when SmackDown moves to FOX. How likely do you think this is?

2. I’ll be the first to state that I’m not a fan of Ronda Rousey so my view may be biased, but given how some of her statements from 2013 could be seen as controversial towards the victims of gun violence and the wider LGBTQI community it astounds me that no media outlets have reported on these again given she’s now a WWE Champion.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how come there are no female wrestlers in NJPW. Has this always been the case or has there been matches… is there a female equivalent to NJPW that they own and how do the females in Japan feel with no female representation.

Excluding ones that did heinous crimes, has any athlete destroyed their legacy more than Jon Jones?

1 Like