ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Amongst the current roster in NJPW, who would you like to see get a run at the IWGP Heavyweight Championship that hasn’t had one yet?

Question for John and please note that this is in no way a criticism. Why do you always identify Triple H by his real name anytime you refer to him? I understand if you’re reporting on something outside the ring like a media call and such. But when he appears on TV and is referred to as Triple H by the announcers and graphics you still say Paul. It’s not like you say Michael Hickenbottom whenever Shawn Michaels appears. Just curious.

1 Like

Chris from Melbourne
M u s i c q u e s t i o n

You guys like hip hop?

New stuff, old stuff?

If you were a company looking to advertise on one of these wrestling shows, would you prefer paying for a commercial that aired in it’s own block of commercials, or one that aired in a picture and picture segment? My friends and I have debated this during AEW recently. The idea being that while 100% of the attention would be on the commercial during a full commercial block, you have a much higher likelihood of being fast forwarded, whereas your audio would be listened to during a picture and picture, but chances are the eyes wouldn’t be on the ad.

Curious what your thoughts are in Ryan Satin’s role on WWE Backstage? Would you have taken the job if offered? To me it seems he’s sacrificed his journalistic integrity for an on air role with WWE.

Miles from Chicago

1. What are your memories of Starrcade 98 and the subsequent finger poke of doom on Nitro? I was a new 5th grade fan at the time and couldn’t be more excited to see Nash win, the taser shot and then the reunion to follow - it wasn’t until later that I realized how detrimental this was to WCW as a business.

2. ‪With the 15th anniversary of Pancrase approaching - what are your memories or thoughts on this event and would you ever consider doing a future retrospective series on this tour?‬

3. What other podcasts do you enjoy listening to? Would either of you have a hockey or baseball podcast you would recommend?

Great show as always - Thanks John & Wai!‬

1 Like

Will from Toronto.

On a previous Cafe Hangout you guys were talking about Johns bachelor party and the Santa Claus parade story… John mentioned running in to his former roommate Luke Doucet. Just curious if this is Luke Doucet from Whitehorse?

If so, free shoutout to Luke who is an amazing artist and even better person.

1 Like

Have you guys had a chance to watch the wrestling toys episode of netflix’s the toys that made us?
If so, did you enjoy it? Was the history fairly accurate? Have you seen other episodes of the series

Ari from Montreal
What do you guys think about teasing dangerous spots if there will mostly like never be a pay off? I ask just from the recent episode of nxt where there was a top rop tombstone teased by branson reed.
I kno its part of to get ppl hyped, but it tends to not deliever anything satisfactory after the tease. Im not saying for then to pull it off…dont want ibushi vs naito non sense

marc from Michigan

What’s up guys. Plain and simple, if WWE continues to suck, could you see yourselves cutting down the content when it comes to their product? I just think back to like 6 months ago or whenever it was when you guys were just struggling to get through your review because of how bad the show was. It was a great review for us to listen to. You guys do so much other good content when it comes to AEW, UFC, NJPW and all the other company coverages, your loyal fan base would probably stick with you no matter what. I totally understand that you guys know what brought everyone together, the reviews of Raw and Smackdown but the company is such a waste of your time. I love that you watch it so I don’t have to and you guys are far more entertaining than that product but do you feel your fan base would revolt or get mad? At this point, I Would never consider cancelling the Patreon as long as you kept putting out audio no matter what you’re covering.

1 Like

Chris Thunder from Down Under

Fell free to pass if uncomfortable, but John have you and your wife discussed when or if you’ll start letting your son watch wrestling?

As someone who’s cousins aged 8 to 12 watch WWE RAW, I can’t imagine that explaining the Rusev-Lana-Bobby story to be fun over family dinner.

1 Like

Hey fellas, keep up the great work. What do you guys think of “Kenny vs. Spenny”.? I am in the States so it was rarely available here, anyhow I recently watched most of the episodes via youtube and think it’s very funny, while shockingly edgy at times. How popular was the show in Canada in it’s prime? Are the guys still popular in Toronto? Are there other cult shows exclusive to Canada over the years that you guys enjoyed? Thanks
-Dan Stack

1 Like

I was thinking about what wrestlers could fight over at Survivor Series and I have a solution… They could fight for their brand to get the headline slot at Wrestlemania.

Team Raw, for example, would be fighting for 2 of their wrestlers to headline the PPV meaning they have a reason to care and work together. But also someone could screw someone over on their own brand and take a pin to ruin their chances of being the headline act.

What do you think?

Colm from Ireland

Loving all the content as always, especially the Marvel reviews

I was laughing when John was talking about “Santa Claws”. As a Dad with two young boys myself I have seen some really terrible Christmas movies as well!

Just wondering, if either of ye have a go to Christmas movie that always puts you in the Christmas mood?

Probably more a question for John than Wai but I’d love to hear from both of ye

Guys,

You’ve highlighted the 18-49 demo heavily for AEW, NXT, and SD. That had me thinking…why are old people watching WWE so heavily and where are the young folks??? Well, first off, I have a hunch during the gloried Attitude Era they probably had a heavy 18-49 male demo…and they never left. They got old! They didn’t bring their kids along who would be this generation.

Then, I thought about the ages of those who are decision makers in the WWE (front-facing)

Stephanie - 45-50
HHH - 50+
Paul Heyman - 50+
Bruce - 50+
Kevin Dunn - 50+
Shane (I’m confident he has a voice) - 50+
Michael Hayes - 60+
Bischoff (before fired) - 60+
Vince - 70+

I type all of this to ask: Do you think AEW is doing so well in the 18-49 demo because of the wrestling…or is it simply because those who are making decisions are near the median of the 18-49 demo and aren’t trying to figure out what the fans want as they’re living the same lives as the fans?

Hi did you ever have to censor or remove an interview from the Law because of a controversial remark someone made. And how would you deal with it, on post if someone made a Jim cornette/Ethiopia type remark, would you censor it? Thanks.

The 29th anniversary of the debut of The Undertaker just passed. Other than WrestleMania, what do you guys think is his legacy?

Brian from New York

As someone who has been following NJPW and subscribed to World for about 3-4 years, something has alluded my understanding for most of this time…

What’s the deal with Yoshi-Hashi? I’ve never really gotten his appeal. He seems to have a fairly sizable role in the company and a somewhat significant fanbase…but where did this come from? He’s never been all that exciting to me in the ring and with all due respect, doesn’t have the greatest look. Are there some significant moments in his career or anything else I missed by jumping on this late?

Thanks guys!

Imran from Huddersfield

MCU Question - Your Thor Ragnarok review made me remember how that film is a comedy film first and an action film second - and it’s all the better for it

So with that in mind, do you see Marvel branching out into other genres? How interested would you be in say say a Marvel Musical- Action film? or Horror- Action, or Rom-Com-Action?

Jake here:

1. John, what do you think of the ongoings of the Professional Fighters League? I’ve been enjoying some of their recent shows and I like Kayla Harrison as one of their top prospects Do you think PFL can have improvements on their presence with this ESPN deal?

2. Who among the NJPW Young Lions have really impressed both of you and think will have a bright future in his their careers?