ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Was Rob Ford a good mayor or just a constant distraction slash comedic genius?

3 Likes

Chavo had a fantastic conversation with Marc Maron on his podcast WTF around the premier of season 1 of GLOW… the first 50 are only ever behind a paywall, but if you were to subscribe to his pay service he’s also interviewed Colt Cabana, Mick Foley & CM Punk as well, though he hasn’t always been too knowledgeable about wrestling.

Alexander from Portland

I recently watched WrestleMania 19 for the first time and had a few Undertaker questions.

1. Whose idea was it for The Undertaker to have Limp Bizkit as his theme? For a character like Biker Taker, it seems like there would be many more befitting artists.

2. Limp Bizkit performed Rollin’ live for The Undertaker’s entrance. Is that the worst musical performance we’ve seen in the WWE? While the band was fine, even good for a later performance on the show, Fred Durst was atrocious.

3. The Undertaker had built up The Streak for many years leading up to WrestleMania 19, including beating Triple H and Ric Flair in recent years. Why was he put into a tag-team/handicap match that was the second match on the card? Talk about a very underutilized role for The Deadman.

A subject always touched on is the creation of new stars. Each decade focuses on different types of draws to create revenue; 80s and 90s being ticket sales, the 00s being majorly PPV buys, and the 10s being almost exclusively TV ratings and deals. What is the purpose of creating new stars for this decade? Is it simply creating the best TV product and keeping up ratings? Will pushing PPV buys / Network subscribers play any bigger part than it has this past decade?

Do you have any thoughts on El Hijo del Fantasmo still wrestling in a mask in NXT after losing it in AAA in rather spectacular fashion?

Tenese from GA

Curious to get you guys opinion on who’s crazier Vince McMahon or Antonio Inoki?

Jordan from Kitchener

Will you guys consider using a tel-conference app like Zoom to do a live Ask-a-Wai show?

With some news outlets reporting it may take until 2023 for international travel to return to a level of 2019 normal-ness, what do you see happening to the satilite company’s of WWE & NJPW?

While I can see the idea of a touring NXT UK & NJPW US being drastically scaled back from their domestic counterparts. I think that the UK Preformance Center, LA Dojo & NZ Dojo (previous “Fale Dojo”) will help foster the next generation of local stars in each part of the world.

When working out do you guys ever listen to wrestling music? If so what are some of the songs you run too… what are some you lift too

Jake from The Windy City

2019 was a pretty lacklustre year for Ring of Honor. Looking back, do you think Ring of Honor has got to feel pretty stupid and dumb for letting Cody and The Young Bucks put together ALL-IN in 2018 and assisting them in running that show? ROH could’ve prevented those guys in doing this outside show. As a result, they lost all of those guys including SCU four months laters and had a significant domino effect with substandard attendance and viewership as well as bad publicity. Definitely five steps back from what they used to be. And just to add to that, Sinclair Broadcasting just sees ROH as cheap in-house programming as opposed to putting stock into a wrestling company. You would think with the increasing landscape and getting MSG, Sinclair would increase their viewpoint, but really there was no change. To me, they gotta feel like idiots now.

I’ve taken advantage of so much free time to catch up with MLW, and was wondering what are your thoughts on Mance Warner, do you think he could work in a bigger company? On the one hand, he has a natural charm and charisma, but on the other hand, he only really shines in ring in death match scenarios, otherwise he’s somewhat bland. Anyone from the current MLW roster you’d like to see the next step up?[quote=“wai0937, post:1, topic:1214, full:true”]
Leave your questions below for our monthly patron-exclusive AMA, Ask-A-Wai.
[/quote]

I’d consider Punk, Bryan, and Styles to have had the greatest careers of all time of Indy wrestlers. Who has the chance to get to their level? Ospreay and the Young Bucks come to mind.

Hi, This is Dan in Chicago,

Samoa Joe seems rather injury prone the last couple years. Assuming he gets back in the ring fairly soon, how much longer do you see him wrestling? Do you know if he wants to retire in the next couple years and will he continue to work for the WWE either in commentary or a trainer/producer role? How do you think he’d do in those roles? THANKS GUYS!!!

Steve from BC

Hey guys. Was just curious if you have seen the movie Justice League, and what your reaction is to the almost unprecedented news of the release of the anticipated “Snyder Cut”. It’s kind of cool to see fan outcry winning in the end. Do you have any interest in seeing the director’s originally intended story? I myself wasn’t a fan of Batman V Superman and was pretty meh on Justice League so I can’t say I have hope it will be any good, but I do think there is a definate interest to see how different Snyder’s version will be.

Diego from San Antonio

If any, what are some of your favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger quotes?

Hiya.

Massive fan of you guys and first time using this thread. Love you both!

I am typing this after Double or nothing.

Is Sammy Guevara in your running for wrestler of the year?

Imran from Huddersfield

Hearing you briefly discuss Wade Barrett on the latest Rewind A Wai had me reminiscing about the original Nexus “invasion” angle and how great it was… Apart from the original 2001 invasion stuff, is that the best example of WWE messing up a can’t miss, super-hot angle? And how far could that version of the Nexus have gone considering the level the wrestlers - Bryan and 1 or 2 others excluded - within the group were at?

Is MVP a lock for comeback of the year? The dude was a decent hand but barely above a mid carder in a brief WWE run that ended 10 years ago, now he’s all over the show and in main event angles.

On a related note - any word if MVP has a hand in the Street Profits/Vikings feud, as they’re copying the playbook he and Matt Hardy had back in the day.

Brandon from Oshawa

What are your thoughts on referees getting into the WWE Hall of Fame? Obviously its a nothing hall of fame, but these guys are so crucial to every match and it doesnt feel like they ever get any love from the company.

Tyler from Orlando,

Hey guys, I’ve been doing some research on the Highway of Tears due to my interest in true crime type stories. I was wondering if you 2 knew or heard anything about that since it is a Canada location.