ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

In reference to the empty arena shows for both wrestling, and soon MMA and other sports. We have some previous in Europe for empty stadium games. Unfortunately, a few of Englands football games have been played behind closed doors due to punishments handed out by the authorities because of racism mainly in some Eastern European countries.

These games, despite how important have been awful and utterly unwatchable. The eerie quiet novelty soon wears very thin, with this in mind I can only envisage the demand for live sports with empty arenas to dwindle 1-2 weeks after it has begun. My question is what happens then? And with this, as RAWs ratings continue to fall will there be a point where they stop completely in favour of something else? How bad do they have to get and are they putting people off for a return? Perhaps a break, so that people can miss the product is better than this mess which will remain very fresh in the memory.

Thanks guys.

Rory from the Poconos, Pennsylvania.

Hi John and Wai. I appreciate all the extra podcasting POST Wrestling has provided us during these uncertain times. It goes without saying, it’s very much appreciated.

My question to you both regards the former WCW wrestler Maxx Payne, also known as Man Mountain Rock in the WWF. What are your thoughts on him, the concept of his never been seen documentary “the Real Maxx Payne,” and the fact that he fell into obscurity as it seems no one knows of his current whereabouts, similar to Tom Zenk before it was discovered that he had passed away? While he was not the most technically sound in the ring, he was a legitimate athlete and his dark “Maxx Payne” gimmick seemed to glimpse into the future of what the Attitude era would utilize with a lot of the gimmicks.

Thank you for the endless hours of great podcasting and website content. Stay safe.

I have been watching Dark Side of the Ring. Unbelievable show. The Benoit 2 parter introduced me to Chavo Guerrero, Jr in a way I have not seen before. He comes across as such a genuine kind smart man. Have either of you ever interviewed him? Any chance you can reach out to him and do a long form interview so we can learn more about his history and life?

Thanks! Keep up the great work!
Bill from Orlando

Fairus from Malaysia,

I was watching a video from Motivedia (an excellent Youtube channel on boxing) and a wild John Pollock appear interviewing El Matador Ricardo Mayorga, perhaps one of the craziest personality in boxing history. I would love to know John’s experience interviewing Ricardo as well as any notable past interviews that you have with non-pro wrestling/MMA personalities.

[This is not a question]

Hate to burst the bubble, but there’s a reason no one asks these questions anymore. Listen to the June 2018 and July 2018 editions of ASK-A-WAI to know why (at times 01:14:00 and 00:01:35 respectively).

On the October 2018 edition of ASK-A-WAI, the talk of DCEU led you to a discussion about movie studios releasing new movies in theaters versus VOD, with Wai ending the conservation with “Let’s follow up in three years.”

While only around a year and a half later, this pandemic has began to show what’s potentially in store for the future. What’s are your thoughts on the development of theaters versus VOD?, i.e., Universal looking to release more smaller movies straight-to-VOD with the success of Trolls World Tour, AMC and Regal Cinemas refusing to play Universal’s movies upon reopening (that includes The Fast & Furious franchise), and theaters waiting for the release of Christopher Nolan’s Tenet and Disney’s Mulan to reopen.

Jesse in Taipei

John, you’re on record as saying if there were one historic wrestling event you could time travel back to watch live it would be WCCW Christmas Star Wars 1982 event featuring Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair in a steel cage for the NWA World Title. Does this still hold true?

Wai, what would your choice be?

Take Care

Hi John and Wai,

Thanks for all of the new content. Wai, what which were the most memorable/your favorite builds from LEGO Masters? John - Likely/Unlikely, Wrestlemania 37 happens in the new LA stadium?

Thanks,
Will in Chicago

I’m gonna answer some of these here as we ran out of time on this month’s show (we started from newest to oldest this month):

I would recommend both at least once.

WrestleMania Weekend to me, is more wrestling-heavy with events occurring from day until night. If you’re more plugged into the NA scene, you’ll likely be able to see every wrestler you like over the week. To me, it’s a more comprehensive “wrestling” trip.

WrestleKingdom for me as a foreigner, is as much a trip about wrestling as it is about a trip to Tokyo. You’ll be able to fill your day with about 1-2 events if you’d like, but the experience of seeing it all in a foreign environment, navigating the subway to get to remote destinations, is to me an incomparable experience.

1 Like
  1. Silence, filled with a chorus of “quacking” from the audience
  2. The Triple Deke

You probably know this but they’ve suspended new episodes for the time being. Latest episodes left off, I would say, sometime during the end of January.

With everything occurring in Japan, I’m sure it was already on everyone’s minds. However, no mention was ever made on screen other than Vivi wearing a mask during one of the later episodes.

I’m disappointed we weren’t able to see the cast’s reactions to the season ending prematurely. I can only imagine they intend on editing and airing those episodes later, perhaps with the idea of even reuniting this cast to continue the season.

Re: Tokyo Dome. It was a little difficult for me to tell sitting so far away in a stadium setting, but I thought Hana’s presence was very strong at WK. In ring, I thought she was technically up to standard, but it’s her charisma and posturing that left a bigger impression. To me, she was the most charismatic of the 4 who performed.

2 Likes

This is more of a question for John, so feel free to re-submit next month as we’ve run out of time this month (we started from newest to oldest this month).

Sorry we couldn’t get to your question this month. Feel free to resubmit for next month’s edition.

Sorry we couldn’t get to your question this month. Feel free to resubmit for next month’s edition.

1 Like

Boyd - Glasgow Just been watching some classic WrestleMania matches and have been reminded of the old commentary cliches. What cliches do you miss the most? Mine include “intestinal fortitude” and “an irresistible force meeting an immovable object”.

Alright, thanks for the heads up :grin:

1 Like

Re-sub

Have you guys ever considered a Post Wrestling book Club podcast in a similar way you run your Rewind a Wai podcasts. You give us a heads up every quarter of a book you will review so that we can read it and leave feedback; and you guys then review it. I got thinking that one of my issues with reading is there not being people to discuss it with afterwards and thought this could be a good idea.

After watching the Ruthless Aggression series, I noticed a lot of building up EVOLUTION came at the expense of Goldberg. Obviously a lot of what they had Goldberg do backstage with Goldust, etc., also didn’t help. It was clear that he was never as much of a focal point as he should have been. Do you guys think everything going on with Batista, Orton, HHH, and Flair derailed Goldberg’s first run?

2 Likes