ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Hello hi my question is do you think Santana and Ortiz from the inner circle will ever be champs in aew ? I love them in the inner circle and i know they had big wins at full gear against the young bucks and the awesome stadium stampede match but it find them a comedy act witch ain’t but i liked them in impact and i think they should be taken serious in a crowded aew tag team division i don’t see them champs . Keep up the great work guys John and Wai are better then free wifi and lays chips .

Trevor from Edmonton.
My apologies if this has been asked before, but what are your favourite entrance themes?

Hi guys.
Wanted to get your thoughts on the final season of GLOW on Netflix. How do you think they end the season and what’s been your favourite season so far.
Thank you.
Robbie from Vaughan

1 Like

Stu in Liverpool

Hey guys, there is a question at the end so I promise it’s not just a large wall of text. Also, sorry to those who didn’t come here for such a deep dive! Just to say how I’ve listened to you for the longest time since the height of the LAW days, and I put a lot of stock into what you guys say on most topics. I guess it’s a very deep statement to make but it’s true; you two helped me back from a very dark place I was in a few years ago when trying to complete university.

I’d been struggling with my course for a short while and with other issues I was experiencing I was at an extremely low ebb. I was a mature student and, having failed my first year, all the friendships I made in that year were suddenly gone as I repeated one of the modules the following year. Anyway I distinctly remember this day where I’d travelled to university and I was sat in one of the solo booths on the second floor (third in North America) to complete some coursework. At some point I was just staring out of the window and my mind was in a pit. And I knew what I wanted to do, so I wandered up to the top of the building (sixth floor I think) leaving my laptop where it was but grabbing my trusty 120GB iPod Classic.

So I threw my earphones in and pressed play, and it was halfway through an episode of what was then Review-A-Raw, and as I arrived at the door to the roof I was listening as I always do, and it wasn’t anything in particular but I knew how I always looked forward to hearing your reviews shows and the LAW on a Sunday night. And something just clicked where I realised I wanted not to do what I thought I wanted to do, went down the stairs and returned to my laptop, which was thankfully not stolen. Later on that day, or the next, I don’t quite remember, but I was listening to Tommaso Ciampa’s interview with Colt Cabana on his Art of Wrestling podcast where he spoke about his own dealings with the topics and it just felt like I was meant to hear that too.

Anyway, sorry to have spoken for so long, but I guess I wanted you guys to know that I’m extremely grateful to you both for having been there in some form or fashion, I’m now married and have two wonderful young boys I couldn’t imagine being without. I’m in a good place, and I wanted to thank you for your part in that.

So, a question, do you remember the first time your shows gave you feedback you were proud of, and you realised your words have an effect of the lives of others?

Take care.

8 Likes

What’s your opinion on Apple v. Android? Are you loyal to one brand or do you use what best suits your needs for a phone and work computer?

This may be a little difficult to answer, but if either of you guys were approached by ESPN to cover pro wrestling/MMA for a more than reasonable salary, would you take it?

I realise it’s quite a personal question and you needn’t answer but I’m just wondering do you guys have aspirations to work for a company like ESPN or is self employment still the preferred job.

WWE just recorded record profits past quarter and a big contributor to this was the savings from not running live events.

Some months ago I recall Tony Khan doing an interview talking about how much money AEW was loosing by not running live events. He said something to the affect of “people say when the pandemic is over you will have live events and make millions but we always would have ran those live events as well, so the live events we are not running now is lost revenue”.

My question is, why is it that WWE are benefiting from not running live events while AEW is loosing more money then they are saving, what is the difference?

Could AEW replicate anything WWE is doing to be in this position as well? Or was this more for publicity and Tony was just trying to reaffirm AEW being the little guy people need to get behind and support.

Howdy buds! One of the many Dans from Toronto here.

John’s August 5th reminiscing about his Bryant “Big Country” Reeves jersey had me wondering… Do either of you have a favourite pro sports jersey? Also was there a jersey (basketball, hockey, football, SlamBall, etc) you really wanted as a kid but never got?

Thanks! Always a pleasure to listen to you two.

I’ve always been interested in how the ratings actually work; what are the best resources to learn how they work in-depth?

Imran from Huddersfield.

Likely/Unlikely… Dynamite beats Raw outright in the ratings within the next year or two.

Also, not that I don’t like Asuka, but any chance of a Ask A Wai jingle contest? Your jingle contests are always very entertaining and high in quality - and it’s currently the only regular show that doesn’t have a long jingle.

Hi Guys,

Please rank the following 5 spots in order of your willingness to personally perform them:

1. Swanton bomb off a ladder through a table on the floor
  2. Getting back-body-dropped onto a pile of thumbtacks
  3. Dropping a flying elbow off the Titantron
  4. Taking 10 lashes with a belt/kendo stick
  5. Getting hit in the face with a light tube

While obviously none of that is a walk in the park, I’m interested to know what you think the order of awfulness actually is.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Have any of you seen Bret harts confessions of a hitman and if you have your thoughts. Also have you guys seen quizzlemania on YouTube? It’s a great wrestling trivia game with YouTube personalities.

Alex from Minneapolis
2 questions

1. Have you guys ever heard the rumors that a Kurt Angle vs Bryan Danielson match was booked for a PWG show in 2006? Super Dragon had claimed in a 2012 Q&A that the match was in the books but was later kiboshed by TNA once Kurt got pulled

2. Do You think the straight edge society storyline is on the list of many things in wrestling that wouldn’t be allowed/accepted in today’s current climate ?

Jake from the Windy City here!

1. Who in TV/Radio (newscasters, sportscasters, entertainers) would you both consider major influences growing up? Since I was seven, I would always play with my toy microphone pretending to be like Peter Jennings, a fellow Canadian, as I always loved the succinct way he presented the news every night on ABC. Him, along with Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole inspired me to study broadcasting in school.

2. I know that Dave Meltzer likes to cover amateur wrestling at the Olympics in the Observer to keep up with the scene and to see who could potentially have futures in MMA or pro wrestling. John, do you also like to watch amateur wrestling, especially during the Olympics games?

Brandon from Oshawa

Who would you guys like to see cast as Wolverine, Professor Xavier & Magneto in the MCU?

1 Like

Wai, this is a question for you.

I’m an old-school Legos fan. I don’t know much about current sets, but I wondered what some of your favorite sets are. Were you into Legos as a kid, or is it something that you got into once you got older?

Joe from Vienna, Austria.

Hey guys, since I’m the middle of finishing my masters degree in journalism, I have found it really interesting on how John has reported on the scary incident involving Sonya Deville. Especially in the fact of you publicly saying the name of the perpetrator. If the person is not a public figure, in most of Europe it would be an absolute no-go to name either the victim or the perpetrator. Not only to protect their own privacy, but also to protect the privacy of their families. Maybe in North America situations like these are handled differently - I’m just really interested in your thought process reporting on a story like this one.

(Hopefully I was able to phrase this question the right way. Obviously I’m not trying to defend these horrible actions in any way.)

Jackie from Orlando
There’s usually a lot of talk about fans desiring a more sports like presentation to their professional wrestling, but I disagree. I enjoy a mixture. As a kid, the outrageous storylines are what got me into the product in the first place and something I miss today. As an adult, I enjoy New Japan’s sports presentation. Is there no longer room or interest in a more even mixture of those two things in North America. I feel all wrestling today leans in one of those directions rather than trying to do both.

This question is moreso for Wai, but I’m sure everyone would enjoy John’s thoughts as well. The new trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 came out during DC FanDome, and in it Cheetah claims that she wants to be “an apex predator.” What is your level of interest in the movie, and do you think Patty Jenkins is a fan of the Legend Killer?

Anthony in Detroit

I am a big football (soccer) fan and wondered what the reaction in Canada has been to Alphonso Davies? He’s only 19 and is one of the fastest footballers in the world He’s had a great season for his professional club Bayern Munich and he was the first Canadian to win the champions league.

2 Likes