ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

With a relationship brewing of New Japan and AEW, who would you love to see on excursion to New Japan from AEW. I would love to see Top Flight on a tour possibly in BOSJ Tag Tourney. Also can you see down a reunion of Shooter and MOX in AEW?
Thanks and stay safe!

Brandon frm NJ

What up bruddas how’s it? Just checking in you know doin the thing been a minute ya know, -12 in Timmins anywhoo I got a few questions

-explain the back story of the nickname for Big Phil Chertok? He asked me to ask you John in El Discord

-explain Guarev I heard he is a legend

-excited for you guys to come on my podcast “The Last Laugh” details ahead

1 Like

Roy from Rhode Island.

Can you guys give some insight into the thought process that led to you deciding to keep Post Wrestling ad-free when it launched, and have you ever considered changing this stance as it relates to non Patreon shows?

1 Like

James from norfolk England
Hi Guys I have to say a big thank you for all the content as it has helped me through the tough uk lockdowns!
My question is have either of you ever been to the uk? If so where and what are your thoughts on the uk fans?

1 Like

Hey guys, are there any board or card games that you enjoy? I personally am a big fan of Settlers of Catan and the Munchkin Series.

1 Like

To ride the last podcast’s question regarding entrance music, I feel that entrance music of wrestlers should be repurposed in the same fashion as finisher moves. What are you guys thoughts? Just doesn’t make sense to leave bangers that the WWE probably still have licensing to just collect dust

1 Like

Ian from Best Film Ever

Hello gentlemen,

Over the many years I’ve heard you guys talk about your love of BBQ, Pho, dumplings, and other foods but have never heard you two talk about sushi. Having moved to England from Canada it’s actually surprisingly hard to find decent sushi outside of the big cities.

So I guess I’m asking for your general feelings on sushi and if you’re fans, what are your go-tos when eating sushi.

For clarity, in conclusion, I’m asking what kind of fish would John and Wai buy if John and Wai would buy fish? #Riddle

1 Like

Stu from Liverpool

So I feel like causing a bit of a ruckus, who’s on your Mount Rushmore of cafĂ© patrons? Does @Brandonfrmnj make it in?

Also, I’m way behind in my podcasts (like 15+ months behind) but I’m a completist. Is there any projects or hobbies you’re way behind on that you’re dying to catch up on, but simply don’t have the time?

2 Likes

I’ve been tempted to watch WWE again for the first time in a long time after hearing about the return of many performers from the mid-late 2000s. All of a sudden, Lashley, Drew, MVP, Morrison, and Benjamin are anywhere from top guys to at least being involved with main event players. They even have Wade Barrett on commentary and had Carlito in the rumble. What does it say about WWE that they feel the need to go back to these performers? I would say the hardcore crowd saw a lot in the majority of these performers, but all were invariably ‘done dirty’ or had their legs cut out from under them and left. Is this WWE just claiming anyone available so that AEW or NJPW doesn’t get them, or does it signify a directive or policy? For as much praise as NXT gets, it seems to me the most successful performers, the ones who win championships like AJ, Braun, and the Shield, skipped NXT.

I guess, to summarize, does it seem at all that the top brass doesn’t trust the NXT formula as much as they do their own formula, whether it be from 15 years ago or now (like with the exceptions that they let skip NXT)?

P.S. Who comes back to WWE TV first: JTG, Chris Masters, or Paul London?

1 Like

Wai, you recently said that wrestlemania 9 was your first wrestling event (apologies if I misheard). This was the first event I can remember watching as well and I am always so fond of it, in a large part because of the outdoor setting and of course, nostalgia. It pains me to hear it being widely panned! My question is, what’s your opinion on it- does nostalgia play a large part in your opinion as well?

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

Spoilers for Succession everyone! You have been warned.

I just finished Succession recently and damn what a show
 probably one of the best things I’ve watched for quite sometime! As I know you’ve both watched it, what are your predictions for Season 3? Do you think Logan was aware that Kendall would turn on him? Is it all a set-up? And if isn’t and it will be Kendall vs. Logan again, surely Logan can’t crush him for a third time?

Also if Logan Roy is Vinnie Mac
 is Kendall = Triple H and Roman = Shane? Though I can’t imagine there would ever be a hostile takeover
 right?

1 Like

Matt from Albany NY

I appreciate how you guys really only report actual news stories based on fact. Was there a time you may have thought about or discussed being more like other sites and reporting on rumor as well?

1 Like

Anthony from Melbourne

You know the saying “I’m going to beat you in the centre of the ring”?

I’ve always wondered, isn’t it harder to beat someone near the edge of the ring?

Beating your opponent to the point they can not move their body for a rope break would be harder than just to the point of not being able to kick-out.

1 Like

Two quick questions for you guys. First, what happened to Ghost from Ant-Man and the Wasp? Was she snapped away? If she wasn’t, how did she manage to stay alive if the Pym’s were all snapped away and Scott Lang was stuck in the quantum realm? Second, who do you think should fight the winner of Ngannou and Stipe? Derrick Lewis, Jon Jones or other?

How do you think Charlotte Flair would fair in Japan? Would she be as big as Asuka is in WWE?

Did Eric Bischoff actually invent the Elimination Chamber?

Alexander from Portland

back in the 90’s many wrestlers had gimmicks based off of jobs, including corrections officers, accountants, and dentists. If you two had to be 90’s wrestlers which jobs would you base your characters off of?

1 Like

Branavan from Ajax:

I was listening to the Voices Of Wrestling Flagship for February 26th and during it they mentioned a promotion called Global, just Global, and talked about it ending up on ESPN. So my question is what was Global? And what happened to it? Thanks for all the great podcasts.

1 Like

Jordan from Kitchener,

I must admit I really miss nightly updates on Wai’s parents. How are they doing? Do their neighbors still have their Christmas decorations up?

1 Like

Jesse from the 6

This February marked the 4th anniversary of Kevin Owens losing the Universal Championship to Goldberg in a squash match. I stopped watching WWE (main roster) TV after that year’s WrestleMania. I couldn’t see the point in watching the same wrestlers work hard every week in repetitive storylines only to be barely focused upon when the big events came around. The argument at the time was that Lesnar vs Goldberg was the bigger draw than Jericho vs Owens and so the former feud should have the title.

First, Lesnar vs. Goldberg didn’t even main event that year’s 'Mania (that was Reigns vs Undertaker in a god awful match). Second, the very fact that Lesnar & Goldberg were more over proved the need to make new stars. I was steadfast in my opinion at the time that Jericho & Owens should be the title program and I think history has vindicated me.

But do you agree? Was Vince right to flip the title to Goldberg or was it a mistake and, indeed, emblematic of his booking failures over the past two decades?

Take Care