ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Branavan From Ajax.
Greetings gents, with Jungle Boy getting to use Tarzan Boy in AEW, that got me thinking: What are your favorite licensed songs used by wrestlers?

Do you think the days of touring brands are over? It almost seems weird to think of these companies flying all over the country when they could broadcast full time from one facility once the pandemic is over. I could appreciate it for a monthly Ppv perhaps, but not for weekly shows.

Alex from Minneapolis
2 questions

1. John, what are your thoughts on the ROH commentary duo of Ian Riccaboni and Caprice Coleman? They remind me a lot of Brendan Fitzgerald and Paul Felder.

2. Who from TNA do you guys believe benefited the most from feuding with Sting as far as coming out of it with Progression and stronger Name value?

John, my son was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine from ages 2 to 6. We watched every DVD several times over. So much so, I once told my dispatcher he was “Causing confusion and delay.”
Besides Thomas, what is Max’s favorite character. Will’s was Harold and Percy.

Imran from Huddersfield

Now you’ve completed your best and worst lists… what do you think is the most memorable match of 2020? So not necessarily the best, or the worst, but the match that you will definitely remember 5/10 years from now.

For me, whilst Kenny & Penta vs. The Bucks was match of the year, it may not be a match that I remember years from now due to a) the number of outstanding Bucks/Omega matches and b) they might have rematches that equal or surpass it… so for me the two matches I would call the most memorable are Ibushi vs. Taichi and Reigns vs. Jey Uso in the Cell.

Getting caught up on some New Japan podcasts and the theme of Okada’s Moneyclip finisher getting dumped on is pretty common. Meanwhile, Tanahashi has been praised for incorporating the clover leaf finisher. Both holds are hardly new and neither look spectacular.

I think this contradiction is interesting.

Ultimately I think the opponent is to blame in not selling the Moneyclip to get it over (with Shingo and Osprey being the exceptions). If you don’t act like you’re in danger you’re not. Therefore the hold is meaningless.

But why the excessive negativity? Is it because it’s a new move? It’s not the rainmaker? There’s no set up signal? No struggle to apply it?

Why was the Moneyclip for Okada the equivalent of New Coke for Coca Cola in the 80’s? And looking back, how much of the criticism is justified?

1 Like

Hey guys, Stu from Liverpool.

What’s the closest you’ve come to falling out of love with professional wrestling? Does it still excite you or is it simply a business thing for you now?

And John, we have a theme park called Drayton Manor here in the UK, it has a small section based on Thomas the Tank Engine called Thomas Land. If the opportunity ever arises that you’re over here with your family I would certainly recommend it as a day out. My two boys love visiting it. Thomas and Friends Day Out | Thomas Land™ Drayton Manor

1 Like

Dustin from Maui: Royal Rumble season. Do you prefer an entrant coming in with their music or not? It was always cool to be surprised when Hogan ran in. Btw, Flair’s 1992 performance has to be one of the best.

Terry from Colorado

Was the choice to go back down to nxt finn’s idea or was it just supposed to be a short time move for the company?

Diego from San Antonio

Two quick ones if I may.

Wai, we got your thoughts on Banks/RZA, but what about the table? To clarify, the collaboration album of Lou Reed and Metallica.

John, you going to give the Dexter revival season a chance?

Paul from New Jersey

Are you familiar with Canadian psychologist Jordan Peterson and if so what are your thoughts?

Lucas from Milwaukee

What was the ceiling for Bobby Lashley in MMA? I don’t remember watching too many of his fights, but the one’s I saw I recall him looking fairly impressive, especially when I compare his run to Jake Hager’s Bellator run. I know he didn’t fight very big names in Bellator, but did he have any chance of contenting for their heavyweight title?

Anthony from Detroit

In my opinion, NXT is the most entertaining weekly wwe show. Countless performers have been over on NXT and they bomb out when they move to the main roster. NXT performers are re-packaged, some are sent back to learn the main roster style. It appears NXT isn’t getting the performers ready for the main roster. A MLB or NHL franchise works with their minor league system to develop future stars. My question is as a true developmental brand, has NXT been a failure? Should HHH, HBK and the other trainers he held accountable. Should Vince take a harder look at his developmental brand?

Thank you!

Ari from Montreal

Any realistic chances Nick Aldis leaves NWA?
If so where would he seem like a good fit? He does have the history with Impact…but his wife is in WWE and fits better in that system.

Dave from Brisbane, Australia

Hey Jon, my partner and I have dug back into Riverdale again. Did they ever explain why the twin babies were floating above the fire?

Hi guys, long time patron, first time posting. My question is where do you see the future of the NWA going? Power was a very enjoyable show to watch and to follow and it seemed to have a decent audience built up. I know the plan to bring power back at some point this year, but how do you feel they will handle it? Would it be a good idea to do something with the reboot of Georgia Championship wrestling as they would likely have the same type of audience, or do you see Nick Aldis possibly having a run in AEW feuding with Cody again for the NWA championship?

Thanks for reading,

Éanna (Irish name, pronounced “eh-na”) :grinning:

1 Like

John,

What have been your strategies for reading more over the past year, especially considering the increase in family responsibilities? Each year, I set a goal for reading, and I start falling behind around this time.

Thank you both!

Steve Wille

Brandon from Oshawa

Would you guys ever be interested in building POST Wrestling into something more than just wrestling? I’m thinking something along the lines of another website I frequent, comicbook.com. Over there, they’ve got stuff on TV, movies, wrestling, comics, upcoming soft drink releases etc.

I wouldnt think you’d jump into all the same stuff, but you already have begun reviewing movies and TV. I think the POST community would be very supportive.

1 Like

A Wai and a John question:

John - having a young child, what’s that one book that you’re just tired of reading to your kid?

Wai - regarding washing dishes, has it discouraged you from cooking or encouraged “washing as you go”?

1 Like

Tenese from GA

Wanting to get your thoughts on the idea of New Japan doing a bundle package with Stardom much in the same vein as Disney+. Thanks for all of your excellent work.