ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

When it comes to face and heel turns, do you guys prefer a slow burn turn or a sudden turn? Also, do you think WWE should use heel and face turns more often in its current product? It seems like the amount of turns has dramatically lessened over the years.

Do you guys think that it might be about time for sort of a rotating off season for the Wrestlers of the WWE? They way I see it, if say FOX gets the new TV contract and Raw goes to 2 hours. Plus the fact that all the PPV’s will be Co-Branded. Seems to me like they have more Wrestlers than TV time. But if you rotate 10-15 people off for a couple months at a time the benefits are big in my opinions. The company can focus on a few big story lines at once, instead of trying to get everyone on the show. The wrestlers get some much needed time off to rest and be with family. You create a ton of “returning star” moments through out the year. Plus it keeps the characters more fresh and/or would be easy to repackage someone.

1. For WWE standards, is the pairing of Vega and Almas lowkey one of their most progressive ideas for women in a while? Their relationship isn’t romantic or involving one using the other, and Vega’s character is built around her intelligence and cunning, not looks.

2. Why do babyfaces stand on the left, and heels the right, for tag team matches?

My question is with regards to attending a live ufc event. I’m a pretty casual ufc fan, watching the main ppvs and following Johns updates, but turns out I’m going to be in Vegas the week of UFC 226. Was considering getting some tickets to the event but wants to pick your brains on some of the events that are likely to be happening that week and anything you’d particularly recommend checking out or any tips you’d have about that fight week?

Thanks guys and thanks for all you do!

What was your favorite live experience? What was your favorite match you saw live? Why?

Mine was being front row at Border Wars 2012. I met Nigel mcgunines and new champ Kevin Steen after the show.

A couple Wrestlemania themed questions…

1. Do you have a favorite Wrestlemania that isn’t considered one of the better ones? For me, mine would be 8 (or VIII) and I couldn’t tell you why.

2. Which Wrestlemania is considered to be the worst? I went to 32 in Dallas and that’s probably up for consideration.

Wai/John,

What are your thoughts regarding grown adults purchasing and carrying title belts with them to live shows? Personally I think they are pretty cool but would feel like a major nerd if I did that. What do you guys think?

Thanks for everything you guys are doing for the wrestling community!

So we always hear about John’s wife but we rarely get a glimpse into Wai’s life in that respect. Do/did you have a significant other while doing the show and what does/did she think about what you do for a living?

How’s your love life Wai?
Thanks guys and I mean no disrespect

1 Like

2 questions:

1. Do you think New Japan’s US belt could be used as the “first” belt that guys win as their first championship? I realize Omega being the inaugural champion breaks that mold a bit, but I wonder if it could be used for guys who come back from excursion, or up and coming foreign talent being brought into New Japan. I would also say if this idea were to take off, please fire the NEVER openweight title into the sun, as it is beyond useless.

2. I loved the Icarus review, but wanted to get your thoughts on the wrestlers using PEDs, specifically, where do they inject? The first half of the movie showing Bryan Fogel injecting into his thighs and ass, I kept thinking “man, that would suck taking bumps when you’re already bruised from shooting up”. Have you ever heard of rumours or methods for doing it when wrestling, or does the documentary sum it up nicely?

Can you tell us more about your part at Walemania? I understand Mark Henry is involved. Any other guests? What sort of night should I expect? It’s my first Walemania. Looking forward to it and meeting you both. Paps

Hey guys

Thanks again for all the great content and all the hard work. even though I don’t contribute too much on the forum here (this being my second post) I do read a lot of the topics and you have built up a great community here and it’s great to see there are so many like minded wrestling fans

Two questions

1. in your time away from post wrestling and from father duties (Jon) what podcasts are you guys listening too?

2. Like a lot of fans I fell out of wrestling for a while in the early 2000’s (as it seems a lot of people my age did) came back into it after seeing clips of both cm punk and Daniel Bryan. Did you both have the time away from wrestling and if so what brought you back in?

I know you guys don’t rate matches but I am curious in general what qualifications classify something as a “Great Match” for you?

Obviously this is objective and I don’t have a solid criteria but for me a great match has a formula that involves the following:

1)No obvious outcome going in…if either competitor can win I definitely am more invested
2)A reason for the match (either a great feud or a meaningful title)
3)A solid build up with either competitor getting a solid advantage for portions of the match
4)Each competitor doing significant damage enough to buy near falls. Just not to the level the over use of repeated kick outs of finishers.
5)A fresh match that we haven’t seen multiple times or have had victories traded back and forth previously

These things all fit for the Gargano/Almas match and even to a lesser extent the Golden Lovers/Young Bucks match.

1 Like

Do you think New Japan gets some slightly undeserved praise by most North American fans because they pick and choose a lot more with what they watch in New Japan, while feeling the need to watch and critique a lot more of WWE’s content?

1 Like

Omri from Israel.

Do you think it’s possible to separate the New Day after Mania so they could go on a singles run without them actually letting go of the act? Meaning when they’re together they still do all those goofy New Day stuff but letting BIG E have a world championship push and Xavier/Kofi a US title one.

Why is everyone in New Japan in a stable? I’m pretty new to watching NJPW. And who do you think WWE is going to try to sign next from NJPW.

Please rate the chances of a Post Wrestling meetup at the Tokyo Dome on January 4, 2019 on a scale of Minus 5 stars to 6 1/4 stars?

Matt from Newfoundland

Obviously with the two of you in NOLA your options will be quite different from my own but on April 7th I’m spoiled with options. UFC 223 (The first truly great PPV since 220, and even that had a weak undercard) NXT Takeover and Supercard of Honor are all going ahead at roughly the same time. What do you think is the show to watch live and what should be watched later or skipped altogether.

Why did you each start watching wrestling?

I wasn’t a sports guy but watched wrestling with my dad who was. I think I liked the entertainment part even as a kid over the sports part.

What’s your story?

Matthew Winter from Australia

If you were to start your own wrestling promotion with the finances to create a TNA-level promotion, what would it be? In this climate of wrestling, what would be the plan for TV (on traditional TV or your own VOD service), live events (weekly live events like WWE, pre-recorded “TV” and smaller live events like NXT, a more tour-like feel like NJPW), and more importantly, the championships (would you stick to a mens, womens and tag title)?

John and Wai, in all your years providing us with quality broadcasting and podcasts in your previous incarnation and now Post Wrestling, have either of you ever received interest or offers from other companies and organisations, be them news and sports broadcasters, WWE, TNA, UFC or something else entirely that you either seriously considered or at least found remarkable? If so, what stopped you from pursuing that potential career path?

I can’t help but feel there’s a parallel universe out there where John is the host of a much maligned WWE Network show in the style of Bring it to the Table, and the thought makes me thankful our universe at least gets Post Wrestling instead.

Thanks for the quality work boys.

1 Like