Becky Lynch announces she is having a baby, vacates title

Originally published at Becky Lynch announces she is having a baby, vacates title

Monday’s episode of Raw began with Becky Lynch’s announcement that she is giving up the Raw women’s title and will be going away for a while to have a baby.

Lynch gave a speech at the beginning of the show after walking out with the Money in the Bank briefcase. When she was interrupted by Asuka, she opened the briefcase to reveal that the Raw women’s title, which was awarded to Asuka after the ladder match on Sunday’s Money in the Bank show.

Lynch proceeded to add that she is going to become a mother and would going away for a while and would miss everyone. During a backstage segment with Charly Caruso, the babyfaces walked into the scene to congratulate Lynch.

In an interview with People Magazine, which was released right after the announcement on Raw, Lynch said that her and fiance Seth Rollins discovered they would be having a baby after a series of pregnancy tests in April:

I took the first one wrong. Then I took a few more tests until I got a digital one that just said the word ‘Pregnant.’ I was with Seth at the time and he just threw his hands up in the air, all excited!

I don’t know what the next chapter is because I only know what it’s like to think for myself when I’m by myself. So I don’t know what it’ll look like and how my priorities shift and what I’m going to want in the future. So, everything’s open.

Lynch, 33, won the Raw women’s title in the main event of WrestleMania 35 at MetLife Stadium in April 2019 and left as show as both Raw & SmackDown women’s champion. She lost the SmackDown title to Charlotte Flair in May 2019.

Her last match occurred on the first night of WrestleMania 36, which was taped during the last week of March and aired on April 4th where she defeated Shayna Baszler.

Great news for Becky.

Bad news for WWE, as between her and Roman, they’ve now lost the top two regular stars they’ve spent the last couple years building, from TV.

2 Likes

Congrats to Lynch and Rollins.

Asuka turning face because she found out someone was pregnant is now the high water mark that all other future wrestling turns will be compared to.

6 Likes

Had to be a legit reaction from Asuka. Well even if it wasn’t Asuka is great for reaction regardless. Congrats to Becky and Seth though that’s exciting for them

1 Like

No way she is full time ever again,isn’t this the reason Vince won’t build stars,because one way or another they all leave him.

But, everybody will stop at one point or another. Either because they got a better offer, health reasons, or starting a family. Could you imagine any other entertainment business using that mindset? They’d be doomed to failure

This made the feminist in me smile.

Can you imagine WWE investing so much time into one talent 10 years ago, and then celebrating her when she gets pregnant and screws up long term booking? I feel like there’s a time that WWE would’ve fired her, leaked shitty stories about her to dirt sheets, and tried to have her black balled, but they couldn’t have handled this with more class.

It’s still a shame that there was no opportunity for her to go out on her shoulders.

WWE and long term booking. Come on…

If I read correctly this afternoon, Asuka wasn’t informed until yesterday afternoon when she arrived at the PC that she was getting the RAW Women’s Championship but yes, her reaction when Becky opened the briefcase and told her she was pregnant was legit.