Best/Worst of 2023

I can’t see how anyone would think AEW books women better than WWE.

I think that point is more valid than most.

However Timeless Toni is probably the most over women’s talent in the world and probably the female wrestler of the year.

WWE has had Rhea in meaningless crap since WM beating a bunch of cans.

Granted AEW has booked some dumb women’s stuff like the TBS title but in general they had had decent matches and people like Willow and Riho are always super over

I’m still waiting for an explanation of the Jimmy Uso storyline that makes a lick of sense since the super kick on Roman that Jey hit. It’s all none sense.

2 Likes

If the women’s wrestler of the year is most notable for their comedy vignettes, then that’s a sad state of affairs for women’s wrestling.

I mean this whole topic is totally subjective. There’s no right or wrong answers to this.

I can rank my favourite films from 2023, and they won’t jive with everyone.

My only note is that I think AEW is graded much harsher based on their standard over the last five years. Wheres WWE was nearly unwatchable five years ago, and a slight improvement has gone a very long way with their audience.

1 Like

Over is over. The Rock at his peak was a largely catchphrase and comedic promo character.

1 Like

Exactly. People think AEW isn’t as good as it used to be and WWE is much better than it used to be.

But AEW even now puts out a much better product especially in ring. By comparison

Everything to do with the Outcasts was death this year. They also lost Jade to the competition. Statlander won the title then had meaningless matches for months. I like Toni but the in-ring part of the gimmick still needs work.

Totally agree about the bloodline mess. It was terrible and made no sense

1 Like

If you judge everything until April then WWE would win.

However since WM it’s been a mess.

Roman vs Jey sucked.

No one knows what Jimmy Uso angle even Rhea is wrestling cans

Seth is a clown but at times serious ?

Sami is a midcard we again

RAW is the same Judgement day vs Cody/Owens/Seth

It went downhill after WM hard

1 Like

I’m trying to come up with a major storyline that was worse than the Bloodline, but I can’t do it. I thought MJF/Cole got pretty bad, but it was immensely over (even the comedy tag stuff that I thought was terrible), and you have to give some benefit of the doubt for needing to make major changes on the fly over the last few months.

It’s just hard for me to call Bloodline the worst of the year when you look back at everything with Zayn, Owens and Cody from January through March. But I think it has to be.

1 Like

It’s all subjective, but I don’t think The Rock was ever the “wrestler of the year”. Largely for that reason.

And if we’re supposed to be judging by who is most over, then the male wrestler of the year is Roman Reigns: the most over wrestler on the most watched show.

Dr Patel,

You’ve always been a champion of strong work rate. As such, you’re going to find everything you want in AEW - although I do think you’re so ingrained in your choice of AEW that you do lack objectivity at times (arguing Toni Storm is more over than Rhea Ripley in 2023 suggests you may have an inability to see WWE as superior to AEW in any metric).

To me, WWE has done story better than AEW in 2023. I think that’s an honest statement and we need to consider the entirety of 2023 and not just the 2nd half of the year (where admittedly, WWE did let its foot off the gas a touch) as for the 1st half of 2023, the bloodline stuff was white hot (yes, they dropped the ball on the payoffs somewhat - especially SummerSlam) let alone Backlash and Judgment Day stuff.

3 Likes

Again, why I’m saying this is all completely objective. What one looks for in their favourite or best will undoubtedly vary.

Anyway, I’m avoiding contributing simply fot the fact I know my answers would lean heavy towards AEW. Simply because aside from indies, that’s what I mainly consume.

1 Like

Yes, I don’t disagree with what you’re saying.

Believe me, I was a big WWE champion here if you go and look back right before they turned around and into wrestlemania. I was out here saying it’s much better even when some people disagreed with me.

I really think since wrestlemania it’s been downhill. And that’s more than six months of the year. I don’t even know what I’m watching right now but to be honest, they can turn it around next year.

For once they have a really strong RR with two legitimate winners in Cody and CM punk. Wrestlemania could be an all timer with incredible matches. We also have the possibility of the women’s being Bayley or Becky or someone else. Almost anybody can win because there isn’t Charlotte flair around.

So in a lot of ways I do agree with you. However, I think the second half after WM - it was really bad. Rhea is incredibly over it and her Toni I think are neck and neck but while Toni had some decent matches lately, Rhea, since wrestlemania is just wrestled a bunch of morons basically. what matches she had worth watching? Where as Toni has put on at least some decent matches.

1 Like

Is this some sort of gimmick you play to drive engagement to your posts? Just about the only thing that would make sense at this point.

1 Like

Alex is somebody who, in the best way possible, can be very passionate and opinionated. In terms of wrestling, his opinions seem to always go to extremes. Haha.

He was extremely down on AEW at times in much the same way he is about WWE.

He’s an awesome dude, and a voice I always love to hear from.

4 Likes

Agreed. I always appreciate a dialogue with Dr Patel.

1 Like

Nah man. I’ve interneted long enough to know the difference between someone who’s a delusional passionate and someone who the British would call a wind up merchant, basically someone who posts stuff to illicit a reaction.

People are entitled to their opinions and healthy debates. Why go attacking people for having a different opinion to yours.

1 Like

Sorry if it comes across that way. I’m not trying to rile people up. I do enjoy discussion and can talk more in absolutes that I should (my friends and wife can attest to this). I was also watching Liverpool go scoreless in the first half and getting agitated until they turned it around :joy:

I’ve down and up on both products before. I really got turned off WWE into Summerslam and having the Miz and his crappy kicks posted as a legit contender.

I like Gunther and AJ and Roman and many WWE talent. I just wish it was booked better like it was the first half of the year. Again, RR and WM season can cure all

1 Like

Can’t say I disagree, I still find WWE unwatchable, completely drove me off, I was enjoying some things early in the year but post Mania I’ve enjoyed very little.