Big Swole recounts AEW exit interview, Tony Khan saying her in-ring skill was not a reason for the split

Originally published at Big Swole recounts AEW exit interview, Tony Khan saying her in-ring skill was not a reason for the split

The former AEW talent recaps her exit interview and Tony Khan’s remark about her on Twitter.

Following a two-year run with All Elite Wrestling, Big Swole is now a free agent and this coming weekend, she’ll be in action at the Black Wrestlers Matter 2 event along with competing against Trish Adora at F1ght Club Pro’s ‘In Grapitol We Trust’ show.

At the end of November, Big Swole formally announced that she wrapped up with AEW. The following month, she spoke about her exit from the company and voiced her opinions about the internal structure of AEW, diversity and the women’s division among other talking points. Her comments drew the attention of Tony Khan who tweeted out that he did not re-sign Swole because of her wrestling ability.

Swole was welcomed onto the Public Enemies Podcast and mentioned that in her AEW exit interview, she asked Khan to assess her in-ring skills and he said that was not a reason why they were parting ways. Swole admitted that she was hurt by his tweet because she and Tony considered each other friends.

I don’t understand that , maybe you’re not seeing clearly but honey, the clarity, not in this case. I got clear eyes.

I was like dude, you weren’t saying all that when you was smoking my weed. He said that we were friends and I was like — what gets me upset is that when someone says that you’re friends and like, of course he has all the money in the world. He can buy all the shmizz he wants to but I’m gracious enough to give what I have in fellowship, break bread with you. I’m opening up my heart to you. You said that we’re friends. I called you, we’ve text. It’s just upsetting because I thought that it was genuine and I’m a cancer , I’m an emotional person and when I let people inside of my heart, when I let people inside of my circle, my family, that’s important to me and for someone to break that line of trust is just — it’s unbelievable. It’s heartbreaking. Really it is because I thought we were friends. But damn.

At All Out 2020, Swole and Britt Baker met in a cinematic-style match that took place at a dentist office. Swole shared that it was taped at the office of Britt Baker’s friend who is also in the dental field. Swole and Baker had been feuding on-screen for several months at that point and Swole feels she was the perfect person to turn Britt into a heel.

During the filming of their match, there were some minor struggles and back and forth comments that Swole explained. There was a minor argument that happened between herself and Baker. The match did leave a sour taste in Swole’s mouth because she was not able to incorporate her ideas. She then went on to praise members of AEW’s women’s division such as Nyla Rose, Abadon, Kiera Hogan and Jade Cargill.

I was the perfect person to turn her , I was like, ‘Kenny, we haven’t wrestled. There’s no substance to this. This is just –‘ I don’t know what this is. This is a trailer at this point, you know? Because I couldn’t say certain things, I couldn’t make fun of her being a dentist and her Doctorate because she said that’s her real job. So we had like a mini argument about that because I was like, ‘Well, I’ve been making fun of you being a dentist this whole time. Why stop now?’ But, we got to the end and I was like, ‘Can we just put a little bit more into this? A little bit more.’ So I’m like — Kenny and I stopped for, it was at least 40 minutes to try to put some type of action into it so that’s when we came in, she did the fisherman onto the floor, whatever and we just started fighting-fighting, if that makes sense until we got pretty much to the end and it was a long day. It was a really long day. It was a one-day shoot. It was a long one-day shoot at her friend’s dentist office that hadn’t opened yet.

It was just, I don’t know. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth because it wasn’t necessarily what I wanted. I didn’t have reigns over everything or much of anything. I didn’t really have input that I wanted to like I did with ‘three strikes’ , Jade’s work ethic. They’re there, they were at training. It wasn’t mandatory but they were there, you know what I mean?

Going back to the topic of Tony Khan’s tweet about her, Swole feels it is past the point of an apology being acceptable. She stated that they still follow one another on all socials and those who are close to him reached out to her after the situation began to make the rounds.

On my end, I feel like we have gone past the point where it was acceptable for you to give me or send out an apology or a retracement or even just, ‘Hey, I’m sorry that you’re experiencing all this crap.’ You know, it’s at a point where I’m like, well, I’ve said my prayers. I’ve pretty much almost given up on it in a sense because I don’t want anything like this having power over me. Being worried about, ‘Oh, is he gonna apologize? Is he gonna apologize?’ He can apologize whenever he wants to or even if he feels the need to. I’m just at the point where you have my number, you still follow me on all social medias, you could’ve been reached out. There’s avenues, there’s streets, there’s boulevards, there’s hovels, there’s lanes, there’s courts . There’s even forbidden doors because I’m like, you know, people that are close and dear to you are reaching out to me and you know, seeing this so I know you’re seeing this.

After the tweet, Swole began to receive messages and comments that had to do with her family. She added that it’s not the first time comments about have made about her children, but it’s the first time those comments have been highlighted.

That was pretty much my cutoff point too . I was just like, okay, we’re not gonna do this and what we’re not gonna do is try to bully me into accepting someone’s apology either, you know? Because it was just like people are sending me receipts. This is not the first time anybody’s saying anything about it, you know? Or about my kid. People have been saying stuff. They’re just now getting caught. You know, hey, what’s done in the dark will always come to the light.

As mentioned, she’ll be making her return to in-ring competition this weekend. Her last sanctioned match was in early September at the AEW Dark tapings at Universal Studios.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit the Public Enemies Podcast with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.

I don’t know about you guys but I felt everything was said and now it just makes her look bitter. I think the majority saw her run as underwhelming and I have to agree that her wrestling was not good.

If everything she’s said is true, she has every right to be bitter. From a public perspective Tony Khan was already an arsehole for the way he (mis)handled the situation and here she’s being interviewed only around a month later and shedding more light on it. I’d still be pissed if I was her too and I’m glad she’s making clear the type of person Khan is.

I won’t be at all surprised if we hear similar experiences from Cody/Brandi etc in future. The man is clearly a bit of a numpty.

1 Like

@Gerrit …Ya, I’m with @Gramercy on this one. Khan handled this situation horribly, and he publicly humiliated her. Even if he was right, when you are the billionaire owner of the company (or your Dad is, whatever), you don’t publicly bash performers the way he did. It would be one thing if she just ripped AEW/Khan a new one for no reason, but she was just expressing her thoughts on the lack of diversity within the company which has been a bit of a problem.

Totally disagree with her thoughts about the Baker program. It brought both of them down and that dentist office match was probably the worst AEW match of all time. It was time to just move on.

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from and partly agree. I don’t understand though why she is bringing it up again. For me it makes her seem bitter and honestly, her beef with Tony is the only thing that is keeping her interesting and relevant in the wrestling world at the moment. Isn’t it? I might be totally wrong as well. I find the fight between them childish I must confess.

My guess is the podcast hosts brought it up, but I didnt listen so I dont know.