Brian Pillman Jr. thinks he took having Cody Rhodes in AEW for granted, got good advice from Rhodes

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/07/21/brian-pillman-jr-thinks-he-took-having-cody-rhodes-in-aew-for-granted-got-good-advice-from-rhodes/

Pillman Jr. enjoyed having Cody Rhodes as a go-to person in AEW.

A conversation about being a second-generation wrestler was held during Brian Pillman Jr.’s appearance on The Universal Wrestling Podcast.

He talked about being in contact with fellow second-generation talents to be a soundboard for each other. Pillman Jr. shared that he would often talk to Cody Rhodes while Cody was in AEW. Pillman Jr. feels he might have taken having Rhodes around for granted and he’ll never forget any of the advice that was passed on to him.

I used to obviously be under Cody . Learning under him was a great privilege. I wish I’d have asked him more things. I didn’t know that his time was going to be scarce, you know? I think I took for granted having Cody around and having his mind, to be able to pick his mind. But, the amount of times he did give me advice, I will never forget anything. I will never forget all of the things he’s told me so, obviously he’s like the blueprint for a successful second-generation wrestler… Some of Cody’s best advice has been to do just that, you know? To try to step outside the shadow of your father and try to become your own man and I think it’s nice every now and then to throw in those little tribute spots or those little homages to him but, at this point, you know, just, I gotta be myself. I gotta show people who I am and that I’m not just a second-generation wrestler. I’m not just Pillman’s kid anymore. I’m not trying to be the second Brian Pillman. I’m trying to the first Brian Pillman Jr.

Last night, Rhodes won an ESPY for WWE Moment of the Year for his return to the company at WrestleMania 38.

Pillman Jr. was in action on the 7/20 AEW Fyter Fest as he and Griff Garrison took on Luchasaurus and Christian Cage.

If the quote in this article is used, please credit The Universal Wrestling Podcast with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcription.