Bryan Danielson states that he no longer wants to be in the position of World Champion

Originally published at Bryan Danielson states that he no longer wants to be in the position of World Champion

Danielson feels that’s not a position he wants anymore. 

At AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, Bryan Danielson will be taking on Shingo Takagi in a first-round matchup in the Owen Hart Foundation tournament. 

Going into the pay-per-view, Danielson chatted with Sports Illustrated. He told the outlet that he is no longer seeking out the position of being World Champion.

Danielson said the quality of wrestling in AEW is high and being World Champion would require him to meet the requirements of a main event. He does not think his body can handle that anymore. 

I don’t want to be in that [world champion] position–I don’t feel like that’s my position anymore. The quality of wrestling in AEW is so high, it’s really hard to main-event pay-per-views. That’s not something my body can really do anymore. I know there are a percentage of fans who would like that, but I don’t think it’s my place. And here’s the truth: I don’t want anything to do creatively with my own stuff. I also don’t know where people get the notion that I do. It’s very hard in wrestling to be objective about yourself, so I leave that in the hands of other people.

The winner of the Owen Hart Foundation tournament will secure a shot at the AEW World Championship at All In at Wembley Stadium.

Bryan might not want to be the champion or in championship programs but I think he needs to be.

He is still widely considered by a vast majority of the AEW and WWE audience as one of the best ever. He is one of their biggest stars and one of their biggest draws.

If Swerve faced Bryan I would watch that match. I would be interested in the feud. I would be invested in what it would mean for their characters.

I don’t feel like he’s done anything significant since his iron man match with MJF over a week ago. Which was fantastic and one of the best matches of last year. Only reinforcing the fact that he should continue to be showcased higher on the card as one of their best wrestlers.

3 Likes

I love Bryan. I don’t want him taking the title from Swerve, but I could see a scenario where we get Bryan / Swerve at Wembly, and then a rematch at WrestleDream, where Bryan drops it back, as his final match in the company full time.