Classic wrestling spots you miss

If you like bodyslams then you’d love Jackie Polo (from ICW). His big move is a bodyslam and he actually beat the Dudley Boys with it a couple of years back at Fear and Loathing 9.

1 Like

I grew up in New Zealand. My first wrestling show was WWF Superstars of Wrestling - the only wrestling show on NZ TV at the time. It was literally all jobber matches, with inset promos from the featured wrestler’s upcoming PPV / SNME opponent. Occasionally you’d get clips from the PPV you had no way of watching.

The thing about jobber matches is, you’d see the character do their entrance, and you’d see their finishing move every time of course, AND then you’d see a spot that has completely gone from WWE, the post match jobber shaming spot.

Ted DiBiase would stuff a $100 bill into the jobber’s mouth (Jesse would invariably joke that the guy was going to keep the money cos he obviously needed it).

Brutus Beefcake would cut the guy’s hair - duh.

Big Boss Man would handcuff the guy to the ringpost and wail on him with his night stick.

Earthquake would do a way less safe version of the Earthquake Splash, over and over again. Followed by stretcher job.

Undertaker would cross the jobber’s arms over his body like a corpse in a coffin.

Anyway when we finally did get to see PPVs, it was pretty electric, because you had all this background of what the one guy COULD do to the other guy if he beat him. You’d imagine them using the thought of it as motivation. Added a ton of anticipation to the matches.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Damien! (plus the jobber foaming at the mouth)

1 Like

Flair’s getting thrown off the top rope
He almost never got any offense off the top but I always loved this

The Running Bulldog, I loved this move it looked so drastic yet devastating. It could be a great finish for anybody , just my take

The double clothesline!

Watch ROH’s recent Honor Reigns Supreme event, specifically the main event with The Young Bucks vs. Best Friends - this spot is well utilised during the match, plus the show is free.

In all the years I’ve been watching wrestling I’ve seen Flair land one offensive move off the top rope; a double axe-handle - I popped massive for it.

Heels talking smack to fans during parts of the match.

1 Like

If I were say ‘Baron Corbin’ … during a match where the crowd was silent (all of them?), I’d just yell out ‘hey will you guys shut the hell up, I’m at work right now!!’

Cracks me up when Kevin Ownes has a dude in a headlock on the mat and the ref will ask the opponent if he wants to gives up and Owens will chime in with 'Yes … yes he does."

1 Like

I miss the Junkyard Dog’s " down on all four’s headbutt"

3 Likes

When I was a kid I thought the way Tully Blanchard would suplex a guy by bouncing his opponent’s legs off the rope was cool. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than the stupid draping DDT. Because, y’know, hitting your head from waist height hurts more if you’re planking. Kinda like how some submissions hurt more when they’re applied on a table.

I feel like the tombstone is much safer and could be used if/when Taker finally retires.

Remember back in the day when people would point to the WrestleMania sign? That was awesome and I’m not sure why they stopped doing it.

I was recently watching Goldberg/Hogan and, boy howdy, did those fans really lose their minds for the ‘Test of Strength’ spot. However, the thing I miss the most that I don’t think will be coming back is when a wrestler would bring the second rope up over the third, trapping the shoulders of their opponent.

I fucking hated that spot. So glad it seems to have disappeared. “Oh my God Cole, he’s putting him in the Walls of Jericho… on the table!!” Yeah, cool… so? Maybe it happened one time and I missed it but the only conceivable added danger to that is if the table collapses under them - and I personally never saw that happen and I never heard the commentators explain that as the reasoning for their awe and horror. So dumb.

This is a specific one, but I miss submission moves that were neither rest holds* or a guy’s finishing move. Something that leads to the ref checking the arm. Or a full nelson (complete with Gorilla losing his damn mind about “locking the fingers” if possible). Or, as others have mentioned, the abdominal stretch with heel rope-grabbing antics.

* yes, they technically were rest holds, but they were still spots meant to build heat, not chinlocks meant to take the match through a commercial

I bloody love a good full nelson spot! I bet that’s because I grew up on Gorilla marking out for them too. I’d never put that together before.

1 Like

I want to see some more deep arm drag takeovers. They made quick tv matches more exciting.

2 Likes

This was Hulk’s specialty, 2 checks and he would “Hulk out”.

1 Like