Current Storylines in Wrestling

I thought a discussion thread about current storylines (or lack of them) could be fun.

In AEW right now there is nothing I can think of other than Angelo Park and Ruby Soho…
I love the odd week to week story of Hook and Joe, that was awesome but Swerve has been sent to Rampage recently and what else is there? Hangmans slow redemption which looks directionless right now to me.

It seeem’s similar in WWE but that’s always the case in the run up to the Rumble.

Is there anything people are loving right now, (not that we’re potentially excited for - like Cody Roman, because that may never happen)?

Not sure if you meant stories we like or stories that exist.

AEW’s current stories off the top of my head… There is a ton going on right now.

• Hangman / Swerve both gunning for Samoa Joe’s Championship. Been pretty consistent for the last several weeks.

• The union of the Acclaimed + BCG in their quest to go after The Undisputed Kingdom. Which is likely leading to Acclaimed vs. BCG to unify trios titles.

• Toni Storm / Deonna Purrazzo / Mariah May’s whole thing going on right now.

• The road to Sting’s retirement along with Darby. Clearly heading for Ricky Starks and Big Bill following last week. Which intersects with…

• The Young Buck’s change in characters (leaning into the perceived attitudes of a big chunk of the audience believe they have). Likely will be building a match with Sting and Darby at Revolution.

• House of Black vs. FTR & Daniel Garcia gas been building for weeks on Collision. Big elimination Cage match this Saturday.

• Undisputed Kingdom vs. Best Friends (Roddy vs. OC, likely Kingdom vs. Chuck & Trent).

• Bryan vs. Eddie Kingston heading towards Revolution, based on Bryan’s lack of respect for Kingston. Story has come out of C2, and Kingston vs. BCC.

• Adam Copeland climbing the ranks to challenge Christian Cage for the TNT title.

I’m sure there are others.

1 Like

Hmm i know you’re right but because this is a discussion board…are you?

Is Swerve gunning for the title? He said he was a couple of weeks ago but is then on Collision fighting Matt Sydel. Hangman climbing the ladder has been decent I’ll give you that. I guess Swerves just waiting for another showdown with Hangman

I give you the acclaimed BCG, thats fine.

The road to retirement matches have been great but im sure it could have been booked better as a story.

I was gonna mention edge and christian but didnt bother as its meh,

Im not sure the rest are proper stories that stand out but i guess I’m being picky.

Right here is the reason why I’m wary about Okada, Mone, and Osprey debuting in AEW. I’m probably wrong, but the roster is ridiculously bloated and not enough tv time to fit everyone in.

The only storyline in WWE or AEW that I’m interested in right now is The Bloodline. And that hasn’t even been that good lately, but it’s like watching the last few seasons of “How I Met Your Mother” for me. I’ve invested too much time and I still care how it ends.

Other than that, I look forward to AEW continuing to give me great matches (Suzuki/Copeland) with little to no build, and WWE making sure I can miss their TV and not really miss much of anything.

Also, despite my general disdain for comedy in wrestling, I think R-Truth and The Young Bucks are crushing it right now. But I fully expect them both to wear out their welcome, as comedy/meta stuff in wrestling always seems to do.

3 Likes

To be clear, I’m not arguing the quality of these stories or that everything is perfect. I’m simply laying out a ton of stories they’ve got going on throughout their programming.

2 Likes