Dave Meltzer

If this “not speaking to the locker room at raw” incident is the only thing that Seth has taken offense to out the entire Saudi debacle; does that mean the rest of the speculation was correct? I mean of all the things reported over the weekend, this seems like the smallest detail.

Dave in general is a wealth of information and experience.

His podcast style is a bit hard to listen to - he stammers a lot and gets off topic. He needs Bryan to be the polished one. However he’s a reporter and you can cut him some slack here.

His twitter persona is unbearable. he engages everyone and is condescending and a know it all. Takes criticism horribly and often puts foot in his mouth. Attacks people who disagree with his view that Omega and Okada are the greatest wrestlers alive. Denies being biased towards AEW even though he’s friends with them and was at Starcast and clearly was the impetus for the All In show etc.

Twitter Dave is irritating - I like to see him brought down a few pegs from time to time for they way he treats everyone else. Dave the podcaster is fine

As we said on the 1st episode of The N.W.A. Podcast, if “Diamond Dave” never filed another story or did another show; he’s a 1st-ballot HOFer.

Not only is he an extremely knowledgeable & valuable part of the collective conversation around the business…The brother literally built the business of wrestling journalism/media from the ground up. Without that dude, none of your favorite shows/websites exist.

Is “Twitter Dave” a little much for me? Yeah…Like I don’t have the time or energy to be on social media arguing with the humanoids, but more power to him.

Meltzer’s source may have sold him a bill of goods, but he STILL comes off looking better than Brother Rollins in this situation! :100:

2 Likes

If we can make “Twitter Dave” a thing around here, that will be almost as proud of a moment for me as when I won the Worst Contest in POST History by suggesting the name of The Double Shot (RIP).

3 Likes

New favorite “Twitter Dave” game: Count the people who think Meltzer is a liar with no sources who are now practically begging him not to spoil Mania. You know, with his made-up, sourceless info.

2 Likes

I’ve been an Observer subscriber for 5 years. I mostly listen to the Dave/Bryan and Dave/Garrett stuff and Observer Live. I respect the work Dave has done over the years and enjoy listening to his opinion. I think his knowledge of wrestling is amazing and his historical stuff is second to none.
Do I sometimes have a different take? of course but that because a lot of what comes out comes down to taste and opinion. Do I get upset or bitch about it. Of course not. Much like with John and Wai I listen to hear what they think and if it’s different to me then fair do’s. I’m still entertained by the product the put out because it’s all wrestling/MMA at the end of the day. hat’s what I pay for, to hear views on wrestling, not an echo chamber to what I think.

1 Like

High profile people in public, or in power (like elected officials and heads of corporations) often use go-betweens and agents to float ideas publicly. Meltzer fills this role for wrestling, allowing promoters and wrestlers a way to bring things out into public anonymously. I think the French term is entre-passent , though there’s another French term for professional leakers which I can’t remember right now.

Meltzer lacks the cool detachment that Keller projects, or even Mr. Pollock here practices. But Meltzer gets more “scoops” than them, probably because he’s built a network of contacts that allows him to reach out to about anybody.

Twitter-Dave is fine, though him fighting the dunderheads on Twitter is akin to pissin’ in the wind.

You know what’s funny is Dave is all about the newsletter and not giving away breaking news so Thursday evening he wrote “In the new Observer Newsletter major Wrestlemania change” anyone else would’ve made that immediate breaking news, I thought it was curious timing that minutes later Ryan Satin who appears on a WWE TV show, who got ripped yesterday for saying “Vince McMahon gets a lot of flack but,” had the news story of the year fall on his lap

While twitter Dave can be argumentative he’s actually a really good person in the opinions he has. He’s been very critical of UFC and WWE about this whole approach to CV and other issues.

1 Like

What the heck else is Twitter Dave suppose to do? It’s twitter. I give him the pass. Don’t subscribe to his shows (tried once) but he’s like ESPN of Wrestling news to me. You know he’ll have everything even if not breaking it and way less enjoyable than other sources. That he fights back on Twitter - like its twitter who cares (not to mention it’s his business to engage)

1 Like

Hearing Conrad Thompson read observer quotes from the 90s about some of the WWF women has kinda been rough.

Different time and all but still…

1 Like

Yeah,let’s here more about Blue chew boner tablets.

Hey, man, I ordered those for a friend.

Dave is to wrestling twitter what Richard Dawkins is to atheist twitter. This figure with vast knowledge in his particular field, but sometimes he has a bad issue of putting his foot in his mouth and not realizing it. I think it could also be an issue with getting older. But yeah, as mentioned above, some of his stuff on the women from the 90s is cringy, but I also think it could be this older fan mindset of women in general that sometimes he has. I guess I feel most promotions should have women’s wrestling and Dave has argued against that, at least in the case of Ring of Honor.

Yeah, Conrad Thompson’s shows have exposed Dave a bit. He also seemed to have an irrational dislike for Goldust/Dustin Runnels. I remember the Prichard Show on Goldust really exposing Dave for being biased against him. On another one of Conrad’s shows a couple months ago they told a story about Dave trying to casually strike up a conversation on the Jericho cruise with Booker T and Ric Flair, and Booker just totally went off on him and put him on blast. I wish there was video of that incident.

He gave a Dustin match 5 stars. I doubt your claims.

90s Dave seemed way less like an actual journalist

Sidebar

I think I’m one of the few people on Earth who doesn’t mind listening to Dave on pods. I hear a lot of complaints that he’s too awkward.

There’s a reason he’s been doing this for 40 years - he’s good at his job.

Also I really like the pods he does. I’ve been a subscriber for f4w since 2007 and I basically only listen to the pods he’s on now. He rants and gets sidetracked, but his stories are always fun and good. If you’re looking for straight news I get why it can be frustrating thoigh.

Goldust in the mid-late 90’s at the height of the attitude era was the worst. It was a disgusting character.

I think the awkwardness makes him unique and real. He can be grating with the stutters but I never turn him off cuz of it.