Davey Boy Smith Jr. wrestles dark match prior to Friday Night SmackDown

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2021/07/16/davey-boy-smith-jr-wrestles-dark-match-prior-to-friday-night-smackdown/

Prior to the live edition of Friday Night SmackDown, a pair of dark matches took place for the audience in Houston including an appearance by Davey Boy Smith Jr.

The son of The British Bulldog, Smith Jr. teamed with Austin Theory against Odyssey Jones and Xyon Quinn (Daniel Vidot, who is the former professional Rugby played that signed with WWE in 2018).

Davey Boy Smith Jr. (real name Harry Smith) previously worked for WWE from 2006 until 2011, mainly as a member of The Hart Dynasty team with T.J. Wilson and Natalya. After leaving WWE, he worked for several years with New Japan Pro Wrestling teaming with Lance Archer as the Killer Elite Squad where they won the IWGP tag titles on three occasions.

Smith left New Japan in 2019 and had been wrestling for MLW since their re-launch in 2017.

Earlier this year, he joined his mother Diana and sister Georgia inducting his father into the WWE Hall of Fame over WrestleMania weekend.

Well well well…..guess whose back?? 😅Very excited being back apart of the @wwe once again! 👍💪🤜🤛 🇺🇸 🇬🇧 🇨🇦 🇯🇵 🤼‍♂️ 🐶 pic.twitter.com/wq8TfCFrQP

— Davey Boy Smith Jr. (@DBSmithjr) July 17, 2021

In addition to the tag match, there was also a dark match between Aliyah and Xia Li.

I hope he’s given a much stronger role this time around. He’s put the work in and definitely has the build they’re always looking for. He wouldn’t seem too out of place if they just immediately threw him in there in a Lashley-level program. At the very least as a fresh contender for Apollo Crews.

1 Like

I’m wondering if he’s actually signed. I believe he lives in Houston so this could just be them taking a look. I’m a huge fan of the guy and hope he gets a deal though

1 Like

Hopefully they sign him, I don’t know what he’s making right now, but it would be nice if he landed one last big pay day.

He’s always been great in the ring, he has the backstory, it’s just his lack of promo ability that has held him back. If you give him a manager, I could see him being very successful.

I have a hard time imaging seeing him being signed at this point. He’s been available for years they know what he has to offer.

That said, it’s happened before in recent years where they’ll bring back somebody from the past because they are a solid hand. If he does come in, it’ll be in a role to help younger talent learn.

Does he deserve better, arguably yes.

Very possible, but I also would have said the same thing about Jinder a few years back.

Plans change, pal - https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/07/backstage-news-on-original-wwe-plans-for-harry-smiths-return/

Odd that they cut so much talent due to “budget cuts” and then sign someone and don’t use him. Just completely bizarre