Deconstructed: A breakdown of John Cena & Bray Wyatt's "Firefly Fun House"

Originally published at Deconstructed: A breakdown of John Cena & Bray Wyatt's "Firefly Fun House" - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

In the hours since WrestleMania 36, much has been said about the Firefly Fun House match between John Cena and “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt with many praising WWE for its bold attempt at a unique form of storytelling.

Others were less enthused, with sentiment among some detractors dismissing it as a random display of nostalgic imagery. While many wrestling storylines are rightfully unworthy of focus and detailed analysis, I felt it was important to explain why this one was.

The WM36 Firefly Fun House was a villain’s carefully designed deconstruction: An exposé of the fallacies of the John Cena character.

This WrestleMania match is going to accomplish what should have happened 6 years ago: Ending the existence of the most overhyped, overvalued, overprivileged WWE superstar in existence. – John Cena, WWE SmackDown 3/13/20

Prelude

John Cena returns to SmackDown on February 28th, 2020 with an announcement: He doesn’t plan on having a match at WrestleMania this year. Instead, he opts to “do the right thing” by relinquishing his spotlight to younger talent.

“The Fiend” Bray Wyatt appears and challenges him to a match. Cena, in spite of his earlier speech, accepts without hesitation.

When asked why he accepted the match, Cena explains his belief that Bray Wyatt has been a constant presence standing in the way of others. He intends on stopping him to free up opportunities for talents such as Drew McIntyre and Velveteen Dream.

Bray believes Cena’s self-sacrificing image to be insincere. He knows this because of his experience with John in 2014.

WrestleMania XXX in this context, is portrayed as a traumatic event for Bray. In a year where he was the hottest new debut in WWE, WrestleMania XXX was meant to be his coronation (as foretold by Sister Abigail), cemented with a victory over the company’s top star.

Instead, the loss to Cena is blamed for the ensuing floundering years of Bray’s career. A career that has arguably failed to reach similar heights until the arrival of “The Fiend”, a character which Bray credits for saving it.

Cena on the other hand, is portrayed to have parlayed his extended existence in the WWE limelight into the pinnacle of idolatry: A career in Hollywood.

Video still taken from the video package preceding the match

Feeling robbed of his time in the spotlight, Bray embarks on a mission to expose Cena as a hypocrite. How can John Cena claim to care about the future when he’s repeatedly beaten it down to get to where he is today?

Chapter 1: The Match

As John Cena enters the Performance Center, Bray immediately leads him to the real battlefield; a place where “angels and demons are neighbours”. Bray is referring to the mind. In this case, Cena’s own.

Chapter 2: Ruthless Aggression

Cena’s first stop in his memory bank is 2002, as the Vince McMahon puppet delivers his “Ruthless Aggression” promo on Raw.

Who has enough “Ruthless Aggression” to make the necessary sacrifices of mind, body and soul in order to be a success in this company? – Vince McMahon, WWE Raw 6/24/02

Motivated by his boss’ words, a rookie John Cena would make his debut days later on SmackDown, famously answering an open challenge from Kurt Angle.

Clad in generic tights decorated with local sports teams’ colours, this period of John Cena’s career is arguably only remembered for this singular moment. The lone surviving memory of the character is how Bray portrays him within this projection, as 2002 Cena, then without a voice or personality, is unable to define himself with anything more than a slap, an angry face and a one-note refrain of the phrase and attitude, “Ruthless Aggression”. Cena is nothing more than a living embodiment of McMahon’s latest catchphrase.

Viewers of WWE Network’s Ruthless Aggression series will have had a recent glimpse into this volatile era of Cena’s career, when he was reportedly close to being released. Bray teases this generic, pandering version of Cena, reminding John of his greatest failure.

But how did we get to this point?

Chapter 3: Childhood

Saturday Night’s Main Event provides a colourful backdrop to showcase a young John Cena’s earliest wrestling fantasies.

Within this setting, Bray continues to critique Cena’s integrity, reducing him to an image of a stereotypical 80’s wrestler named Johnny Large Meat who cares more about his physique than his wrestling ability. Bray believes Cena has only received his myriad opportunities because of his muscles, much like the wrestlers of the era he grew up watching.

Large Meat cuts a stereotypical, aggressive 80’s promo, focusing on his body by bicep curling to such an unhealthy degree that he exhausts his arms, rendering him unable to fight. The implied critique is that a younger Cena spent so much time on his body that he never properly learned how to wrestle.

Bray surmises that Cena’s obsession with his body stems from his true desire: Not to be a pro wrestler, but to be an idol that demands the worship of others.

Chapter 4: Doctor of Thuganomics

Even as Cena finds success with this character in the mid-2000’s, Bray critiques this form for being limited and disingenuous, as exemplified here by Cena’s inability to express himself in anything more than a combination of rhyme, R-rated double entendre (“Put my junk in a glove and call him ‘Mr. Suck It Bro’”) and low-hanging fat jokes (“‘Cause unlike Husky Harris, that’s a weight that I can manage”).

The presentation is a further attack on Cena’s integrity for allowing himself to stoop to these levels of “cheap heat”-seeking in order to finally gain the acceptance of the audience.

Cena crassly expresses Bray’s ineptitude for stardom by saying, “You’re a slut for opportunity, you’ve blown every chance.” Bray responds, in a direct, gimmick-free voice, that he’s had to work for every opportunity, unlike Cena. He chastises John for being a hypocritical bully; a false idol who will do anything for fame, including poking fun at others’ weaknesses (such as Bray’s weight).

Bray offers one last opportunity for Cena to repent, but Cena is so steadfast in his own myth that he responds the only way his character knows: To fight back. In his Thuganomics guise, this response manifests itself as a predictable “deez nuts” joke and a chain-loaded punch.

Having passed up his final offer, Bray decides to proceed with his plan.

Chapter 5: WrestleMania XXX

Bray decides to rewrite his own greatest failure from 2014. This time however, he knows that a simple pinfall defeat would have no lasting repercussions on “Superman”.

Bray knows that in order to establish lasting change within John, he needs to convince him of who he really is: A man so obsessed with fame that he’s willing to do anything to achieve it, including cheating to win.

He gives Cena another opportunity to use the steel chair he refused to use during their match from 2014. This time, Cena accepts.

Bray vanishes. It doesn’t matter whether or not the chair makes contact. Bray has already won.

Chapter 6: Heel John Cena

We’re transported to a vision where John Cena has finally tapped into his repressed dark side. Bray (dressed as Eric Bischoff) illustrates this by turning Cena into an avatar of the most famous babyface to turn heel in wrestling history, “Hollywood” Hulk Hogan.

In this vision, Cena has completed a fateful transformation into his childhood idol. Hogan, a man often criticized for overstaying his time in the spotlight at the expense of underprivileged talents, managed to prolong his oppressive dominance for multiple generations by tapping into his own dark side as part of the nWo.

Cena fully embraces the rage he’s been withholding from himself for years. As he violently beats Bray down, we see flashbacks to his most volatile crowd reactions: ECW One Night Stand 2006, MITB 2011; all while the tune of “Cena Sucks” refrains in the background. The wall he’s built up surrounding himself from criticism has finally been shattered.

Chapter 7: The Fiend

In this moment, Cena realizes that Bray was right. He’s been confronted with all of the ugliest parts of his personality: Vanity, vengefulness, and a desire to do anything in order to stay in the spotlight.

Who has enough “Ruthless Aggression” to make the necessary sacrifices of mind, body and soul in order to be a success in this company?

With Cena shocked at his own revelation, the orchestrator of the entire plan reveals himself.

By finally embracing his own demons, John Cena has let “The Fiend” in.

The pinfall that occurs is merely a metaphor, signifying the defeat of the myth of John Cena as a self-sacrificing hero.

This WrestleMania match is going to accomplish what should have happened 6 years ago: Ending the existence of the most overhyped, overvalued, overprivileged WWE superstar in existence.

How did you interpret the Firefly Fun House? Share your opinion of the match by leaving a comment in this thread in our forum.

14 Likes

Wai, this was a fantastic, insightful piece. Do you think it’s likely that the next time we do see Cena that it’s finally as a heel? Part of the Fiend’s gimmick has been how he has fundamentally changed the characters of opponents he’s beaten (Seth, Miz, Bryan) and this match seemed to literally and figuratively erase Cena as we know him from WWE lore.

WoW …this is unbelievable …

Great visual storytelling, especially when broken down like this…

However, this was on an event called WRESTLEmania and was advertised as a match, or even a fight.
This was neither.

The fact that this went on second last, implies this was of some sort of importance. If it had of opened the show I wouldn’t have had as big an issue.

Didnt hate this, but was overblown the praise for this piece of theatre.
Boneyard was miles better.

It’s funny when reading you comment, I had a weird meta thought.

Seth, Miz and Bryan all faced and failed against the Fiend and has changed in one way or another, but as well. these three have fought Cena in high profiled matches and WON!

• Seth - Beat Cena to win the U.S Champion becoming the first and only US/WWE World Heavyweight Champion.
  • Miz- Beat Cena at WrestleMania 26 to retain the WWE Championship
  • Bryan - Beat Cena to Win The WWE Champoionship at Summerslam 2013

But they all would lose the title before (their) years end in one way.

• Seth - Vacated the title due to a knee injury in the fall of 2015
  • Miz - Would lose to Cena at Extreme Rules the following month. Would be in the title picture, but would never win back the title.
  • Bryan - Orton would cash in his Money in the Bank to beat Bryan for the title at the same night (would win it again, but “shenanigans”).

What makes the Fiend targeting those three more interesting is that all three would recapture success in their own right.

• Miz with the IC Title reign and Talking Smack.
  • Seth return from injusry to face Hunter at Wrestlemania
  • Bryan winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania 30.

Bray or the Fiend chose those three because they would do something that he failed to do (until this past Sunday). Defeat John Cena.

Apologizes for the long winded mental diarrhea.

1 Like

John and I discuss this in today’s Rewind-A-Raw. It would be very disappointing if Cena returned with no character growth.

1 Like

I enjoyed this breakdown of the match also

2 Likes

I got chills watching this “live”. I got chills again hearing Wai recap it with such excitement.

I loved this “match”, and this article is a great little recap.

1 Like

I also thought, if Cena turns heel he loses because it means he can’t handle the crowd’s heat.

What a great write up Wai!

@wai0937 Cena was the only WWE superstar to appear on all shows of the short Saturday Night Main Event reboot in 2006/2008. The show failed miserably. I think maybe this plays also a role somehow.

1 Like

Before I comment, I want to be absolutely clear I accept that this is just my view which clearly differs from the majority of the Post Wrestling Forum community (all though not necessary the Post Wresting audience). I also want to make clear I continue to respect and enjoy John and Wai’s output despite completely disagreeing with their opinions on this.

I’m not sure what this B movie nonsense should be classified as but it was not pro-wrestling. If you couldn’t do it live, then it isn’t a wrestling match. I know I am going to be in the small minority who absolutely hates that this is now unfortunately forever going to be associated to wrestling but it’s shit like this that will continue to marginalise pro-wrestling as a product for a small hardcore fan base and the ever decreasing casual fans that watch out of habit.

Between this, the boneyard “match” and the Matt Hardy crap I am officially done with watching wrestling (I had already given up on WWE (again) a number of months ago). I had hoped AEW had turned a corner from the start of the year but the last two weeks have disengaged me and I am sure I am not alone in that position.

Excellent breakdown Wai. I was just as blown away by this “match” as you were.

1 Like

Thanks for doing this @wai0937 Have to say I was a bit bemused by Bryan Alvarez’s criticism that “people will get a kick out of it because of nostalgia” … which I thought totally missed the mark, so glad someone in the wrestling journalism world is laying out why it’s much more then that.

Also you should do more writing! Only 7 articles?! I look forward to weekly write ups of Terrace House (I just had to google the spelling and holy shit, it’s terrace house! as in not a detached, or semi-detached, but a Terrace House… All this time I thought it was some woman named Tera’s House! Mind blown)

1 Like

It wasn’t a traditional pro wrestling match, but it was the culmination of a pro wrestling feud between two pro wrestling characters that made more use of pro wrestling lore than any match in pro wrestling company’s history.

And you’re not wrong at all to dislike it. New, controversial ideas challenge us all to re-assess what we look for in pro wrestling. Same thing with Orange Cassidy, intergender wrestling, The Young Bucks, etc. The fact that we’re even having this conversation is what’s so exciting because it means we’ll be closer to understanding why it worked and what we’d like to see retained.

5 Likes

Nah man, no need to apologize. That’s what I find most interesting about this segment, it’s open to interpretation and discussion in so many ways. It’s like I’m back in a high school or college lit class, and I mean that in a positive way.

who wrote this?

@wai0937 wrote it.

1 Like

Wow. That is maybe the best analysis of this type I’ve read in quite awhile. I agree, we are, by process of both circumstances and the business as it is, entering a time that pro wrestling is starting to mutate into something different than what we’ve seen over the past 19 years, since the end of the Monday night wars. For it’s own survival, it has to happen. Otherwise, the fans and the money eventually begin to dwindle. With the internet, Final Deletion, The Bucks & The Elite, and AEW, it has forced WWE to look at alternative ways of presenting product. The concern that John and Wai have expressed, and I share, is the overexposure of this type. We know that when Vince latches onto an idea, he goes all in. But with circumstances as they are, it might be beneficial to allow WWE to space some of these ideas out, and think of new ways themselves, same with other companies who want to try to think of new ways to present the product. Both the Boneyard Match, and the Firefly Funhouse Match, were ways to try to push the narrative in new directions. What we see afterwards, is going to be the interesting story.
Rich in Winnipeg (via East Selkirk)

1 Like

Great stuff, Wai. While there have been glimpses of this sort of meta-critique of Cena (Punk, most notably), I loved the idea of using a full-on psycho-geographical exploration of Cena’s history as a means of anatomizing and deconstructing the Cena myth. Sadly, I have low expectations for this actually changing Cena’s character in the long-term - we’ve been down this road too many times only to have him rally with yet another “Never Give Up” promo - but at least with Cena’s in-ring role diminishing the obstinate hypocrisy of the character which Bray was attacking will be less irritating.

1 Like