Drew McIntyre signs new contract with WWE

Originally published at Drew McIntyre signs new contract with WWE

The Rock took to Instagram to congratulate McIntyre. 

Taking to Instagram, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson congratulated Drew McIntyre on signing a new deal with WWE. There was a gift delivered to McIntyre as he was at a restaurant. Johnson wrote the following: 

Man of my word 🗡️ 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

As you’re a man of yours – Congratulations @dmcintyrewwe on signing your new @wwe deal.

As we talked about after your #WrestleMania match, I know this Scottish Claymore represents everything that you, your family and your country embody.

Alba gu bràth 🗡️

As you know, I wanted to personally hand deliver this gift to you at your meeting with Nick Khan, but I had warm cheat meals and chilled tequila waiting for me 🗡️🥃😉

Congrats again brother and cheers to hunger, passion, climbing that mountain and always entertaining our fans.

– Final Boss

WWE is running their Clash at the Castle Premium Live Event in McIntyre’s home country of Scotland in June.

I feel like this was inevitable. You don’t give a guy a monster push like Drew has been getting and set up a huge match with Punk down the road if he’s out the door.

I kinda wanted them to keep it quiet. They could have done a deal where Drew wins the World Title and does what CM Punk couldn’t. Defend the title in different companies. Maybe do matches in TNA or ICW.

The ultimate payoff would be McIntyre defending the title vs. Colt Cabana in ROH (with a Punk run-in), but there’s so many moving parts to that that are never, ever, ever happening.

2 Likes

Selfishly wanted him to take a gamble and bring his smart ass to AEW.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

He would just be another guy there being mismanaged wrestling Hobbs on TV.

He’s much better here - programs with Punk and others lined up

2 Likes

Oh come on Alex you don’t wanna see Drew go 20 minutes with Atlantis Jr. on Rampage for no reason? That’s an easy four stars.

4 Likes

Not saying you’re completely wrong but at least I’d see it.

1 Like

You must be joking. There is no pro wrestling reason for any top guy anywhere to go to AEW right now.

All the reasons are outside of wrestling. And there’s 3 that I can think of:- I) Money II) Schedule III) You don’t want to work for an evil company for moral reasons.

And for the record, I have full respect for anyone choosing to go to AEW for any of those reasons. Clearly it didn’t matter to Drew.

I think with either company there is also a level of familiarity with the company you are in, especially if you are a top guy and happy with your push (ie. its different if you are disgruntled like a Mox leaving WWE or Andrade leaving AEW). Your friends are there, in some cases partners are there, its just a place where you have built many many relationships over the years that matter to you. I totally get why any WWE talent wants to stay put in WWE or why an AEW talent wants to stay put in AEW., especially those who are creatures of habit. I think sometimes we the fans forget the human side of it.

No pro-wrestling reason…really?

You get to wrestle Mox, Kenny, Osprey, Okada, Swerve and anyone else…

1 Like

Those are, um, kinda three enormous things. What are the reasons to work for WWE?

Making “moments” for the “WWE universe”?

Creating content for the Saudis?

1 Like

Brothers I’m just saying I watch AEW and I wanted to see Drew there.

1 Like

For the most part those are good matchups, Drew vs Ospreay would be amazing. With that said, I understand why he didnt jump. If I had to guess, its that Drew is currently slotted as arguably the #1 full time heel in the company (with Roman being a part timer now), in AEW I don’t think h’s slotted that high with how loaded they are.

I think Wai said it best at the YE awards (and I’m paraphrasing), Drew has been one of the best booked characters of the past year. If you’re being booked well, you are being paid well, and you are slotted high, I understand wanting to stay.

Agreed. I was just challenging the view that there “is no pro wrestling reason to go anywhere near AEW right now”.

Doesn’t make much sense to me

1 Like

I low-key think Drew could be a big difference maker in AEW. He’s on the cusp of greatness in WWE and it would be such an explosive move it would really get peoples’ attention and I think he’d have a better crack at being “the guy” there as opposed to WWE. In WWE he’s doing what honestly sounds like the best character work in all of wrestling right now, but in terms of stature I can’t help but feel he’s not gonna get out of “always the bridesmaid, never the bride” territory.

I agree that Tony would really have to have his booking shoes on with Drew because yes Tony does have some bad habits, but Drew making the jump and retaining the main tenets of his current character would be a lot of fun. I just think it could be fun that’s all!

Ya I totally get your point, I dont disagree with you.

As opposed to The Rock, Cody, Roman, Punk or Seth. Hate to break it to you.

Yeah exactly. Making moments for the WWE Universe is fucking awesome. I love amazing moments. Makes me happy.