Favourite Sting matches and memories

With all the Sting chatter for obvious reasons, thought I’d start a thread based around Sting’s body of work.

Favourite matches and memories.

I know for me personally, my earliest memories of wrestling are a combination of Warrior / Shango’s voodoo angle and the same weekend, watching WCW Power Hour on TSN, and the build up to Beach Blast 92.

It was a while before I ever saw Sting vs. Cactus Jack from that PPV, but my nine year old brain ran wild with the idea of a “Falls Count Anywhere on the Gulf Shores of Alabama” match that was happening, and imagining them fighting on a beach.

Sting immediately connected with me. He was literally everything cool about the early 90’s for a suburban kid like myself. Spiked up bleach blond hair. Neon colours. Cool make up. A fast-paced style than guys like Hogan or Warrior.

I remember him being on the cover of many Apter mags, specifically jumping out to me on the PWI 500 cover in late 92.

I did my best to dress like him for Halloween that year. No photos exist, but I found a line of shiny fringe streamers from a nearby car dealership, and attached it to a denim jacket. And did the face paint. I don’t think anybody knew who I was, haha.

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere. Sting vs. Vader from Starrcade 92 was such an awesome, hard hitting match.

Sting vs. Vader from Superbrawl 3 was a violent bloodbath of a strap match, that thanks to a lot of revisionist WWE history, gets chalked up to a silly gimmick match due to the White Castle of Fear match build up videos.

Sting’s Squadron vs. Dangerous Alliance from Wrestle War 92 still stands up to me as the best War Games match ever. A completely bloody and violent affair that has stood the test of time.

Even his match with Lugar at SuperBrawl 2, when he won the WCW title for a second time, is one of Lex’s best matches ever. A fun, simple, main event match.

A classic I remember first discovering on VHS from Halloween Havoc 89, where he teamed with Flair against Muta and Funk in the electrified Thunder Dome cage.

Even his goofier stuff during this time was fun. Jake Roberts in a Coal Miners Glove match at Havoc 92. The random match against The Prisoner (formerly Nailz) at Slamboree 93. The Chamber of Horrors from Havoc 91.

Even when he wasn’t the focus as the main event, 92, 93, 94, he was often the best part of the upper card.

I always hated how he became second fiddle to Hogan and his crew once he came in. Right up until Spring 94, he was main eventing against Vader at Slamboree 94 and the Clash of the Champions in June 94, where he dropped the International Title in the unification match to Flair ahead of Hogan’s arrival.

Sorry I’m rambling now.

I dropped off WCW during the later nWo years and missed a lot of the silliness of him joining the Wolfpac, etc. Pretty sure I never saw any of his TNA run. Was highly disappointed by his WWE run.

The AEW run was something I don’t think most fans expected - and nobody could have imagined just how much fun he would deliver.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. I think unlike a lot of my favourites over the years who never had proper retirements (like Bret for instance), it’s nice to see Sting going out on such a high note.

I keep thinking back to Angle, and wishing he got to go out like this on his terms too. Or guys like Guerrero or dozens of others who died so young and never got to say goodbye in the ring like this.

1 Like

Sting/Bulldog vs. Sid/Vader (never gone back to see if it holds up)

Everything from Bash 1996 to Starrcade 1997 was art. But of course, because it’s WCW/Hogan, they fucked up the payoff beyond repair.

2 Likes

I loved that Beach Blast 93 tag main event. Peak Sting for me. I haven’t watched in in 30 years, but at the time I thought it was a blast.

Yeah, I feel like memories of Sting / Hogan / nWo are so, so tainted by the Starrcade 97 finish, it really tarnished so much of it for me.

I don’t know if you’d find a bigger Sting fan, I’m 39 and Sting has been my fav wrestler since I was 3 years old.

My earliest memory in life is playing with toys in my grandparents house, looking up and seeing a very colorful wrestler on the tv, asking my Grandpa, who’s that? That’s Sting, okay he’s my new favourite! And he has been to this day.

My other biggest memory would be doing to TNA Bound for Glory 2006, first time seeing Sting live, main event, World title. Emotional during his entrance, and when he did his comeback after the Jarrett guitar shot (I leaped to my feet at his no selling the guitar shot) and won? You can literally see me third row jumping up and down on the broadcast that he won, core memory.

2 Likes

It has to be the Crow version of Sting in WCW. He was so over then and although the pay off kind of sucked it was a huge build

1 Like

Most of my favorite sting matches are in @MarkP’s list of early WCW gems.

I’ve already spoken about Starcade 92 being among my favorites with Sting vs Vader. I enjoyed every match I saw as a kid. The War Games against the Dangerous Alliance was my first War Games match.

Sting vs. Flair from the draw to the last Nitro was always fun.

That Sting vs Cactus Jack match had elementary school me worried for the Stinger going into it because I had seen Catucs Jack vs Vader and he was a real threat to the ol’ surfer. :blush::laughing::laughing:

And I’ll throw in the six-man from the first Forbidden Door.

1 Like

Two things I’ll always remember from the ole Stinger is his role in the iconic Shockmaster debacle and his debut at AEW Winter Is Coming. Truly an emotional scene and also gave Schiovanne maybe his only worthwhile AEW moment with his incredible “ITS STIIIIING.” I’ll always remember that as a top AEW moment for me.

2 Likes

As a younger fan, his TNA run were great memories and underappreciated in the broader scope of wrestling. He had great feuds with Kurt, AJ, Joe, etc.

Personally have a soft spot for his match against AJ at Bound for Glory '09.

1 Like

In 96 and 97 he was the biggest star in wrestling and that storyline finishing successfully should have buried Vince but WCW.

But Sting had some amazing matches in the 90s

Sting/Luger vs The Steiners at Superbrawl is maybe the best tag match of all time and having two babyface teams go at it was something WWF never did.

Vader was Sting’s best opponent and all their matches are great I liked Superbrawl 3 because again, they did something WWF never did and put a heel over clean in the main event.

DDP vs Sting for the world title in April 99 is also one of the best matches in Nitro history,

The TNA stuff I enjoyed but not as much. Hated Joker Sting, but Sting vs Styles at Bound for Glory 09 was amazing.

2 Likes

Edit: damn Reddit really auto-watermarked that photo.

2 Likes

I was there live for that one too! I was convinced going in that it was going to be his retirement, I wouldn’t have thought he’d last another 15 years lol

1 Like

I’ve seen Sting in TNA in person in two bewildering matches: Lockdown 2009 vs. Mick Foley, and Bound For Glory 2011 vs. Hulk Hogan, where Hogan took two back bumps, bewildering one of my friends.

I grew up a WWF guy, but I always Sting as being tied to WCW. Never belittled by WWF like Hogan and Savage were.

His AEW run wildly exceeded my expectations.

2 Likes

For me, I saw Sting live at Bound for Glory 06, 09, 10, Slammiversary 09, a TNA House show in 08 I believe and last years Forbidden Door

2 Likes

I am just coming to the sad realization that I’ve never seen Sting wrestle live ever.

One of my big regrets was not being able to convince my parents to let me go to the Skydome in 1993 for the house show headlined by Vader and Sting.

2 Likes

I saw Sting at New Blood Rising :joy: - great 50 second match with The Demon. I went to a few TNA shows where he had a promo but never wrestled.

I don’t think he he wrestled a ton in Canada.

2 Likes

Yeah in Canada I only saw him wrestle once at a London Ont house show in a triple threat with Anderson & Angle lol

2 Likes

feud with Vader

1 Like

I got to watch Sting wrestle Robert Roode live in the main event of TNA Slammiversary X in 2012. I wasn’t a big TNA watcher but was interested that they were holding it in Arlington, TX and it came across as their biggest show to date.

Sting had a pretty good match with Roode using a beer bottle left by a returning James Storm from earlier in the evening to win the match. But the crowd was loud and solidly behind Sting who left the fans going home happy by making Roode tap out to the scorpion deathlock after the match.

1 Like

GOD! I loved that match, doesn’t get talked about enough but both men were cooking that night!

3 Likes