LIVE tonight at 10:05 p.m. ET

Do you think the AEW x NJPW partnership is “better” in “year 2”? Now we have a AEW/ROH tag team joining HoT during the 2023 World Tag League it makes me still think TK still wants a “WWE vs the world” moment with AEW & NJPW doing it “for the pro wrestling world”, but I think Okada is going to destroy Bryan Danielson at NJPW WK18 and force Triple H Nick Khan & WWE to talk about a partnership with NJPW/STARDOM before TK goes after Mone!

No Sting vs Flair in Greensboro at AEW Revolution 2024!

Tonight’s show felt incredibly focused, and almost as if they’re responding to a ton of the criticism as of late.

No segments that overstayed their welcomes. No 30 minutes of MJF (and what we did get was a clear and intense promo). Very little catch-phrase comedy. A clear direction on pushing several people in the C2 - and clearly getting the company behind Swerve as a top level guy.

Rush has also really stepped up in the tournament, and I think could walk away with some upward momentum.

Great to see Top Flight back in action. Would love to see them get a Trios Title run. Cannot wait to see the teased trios match either with Penta, Kommander and Vikingo.

Julia Hart’s Kurt Angle-like moonsault, while awesome looking, is starting to get scary.

Looking forward to next week’s Montreal show. Smart move to go with two recognizable former WWE-stars in the main event slot for that market. AEW does not have French TV in Quebec, so it is definitely going to struggle for attendance. I do think that Copeland and Christian getting their faces out in the media one way or another will certainly boost attendance.

2 Likes

Andrew from Cape Breton

It was a fun show tonight that flew by. The highlight match was Mark Briscoe vs Rush and I love how the word “fuck” has been a pivotal part of Adam Copeland and Christian Cage’s story. You only need one big swear word to make things impactful. The main negative was attached to the MJF story.

So Retribution showed up and ran away quickly and the hacker Solomon Crowe/Sami Callihan got into the production truck. Maybe Mustafa Ali joined him. It felt like the devil story may have gone a bit too far tonight and my biggest fear is that it might actually be Tony Khan. The logic is, that he would have the ability to put stuff in the production truck, and he would ignore Adam Cole’s injury if it meant getting the belt off of MJF. Now granted, this might be the finger poke of doom of AEW if this happened, but that’s my fear. It would especially be bad as I’ve been enjoying the Continental Classic, and stuff like how that is presented is how I would like to see in AEW going forward.

It’s pretty remarkable that Dante Martin bounced back from that horrific ankle injury in LA. He looked like he didn’t miss a step in the six man tag. Top Flight and Andretti are a good trio to chase either six-man title. Swerve/Switchblade was a strong main event by having Swerve be the de facto babyface since White and Lethal are working heels made for a better atmospher than having Minneapolis sit on their hands.

Copeland telling Cage off was very good symmetry. Montreal will be molten for both men.

Mark Briscoe and Rush tore it up! Solid match! Someone save that gum Mark was chewing and place it on the Seattle Gum Wall!
What a great main event: a unique matchup between Swerve and Switchblade, and even more unique sequence of innovative moves and quick technical counters!
Along with Mox/Lethal, that’s the level of physicality I love to see from this Continental Classic, and AEW in general!

MJF has that pimp walk down. The cane, the bling, probably has a heck of a right hand with that diamond ring. Tremendous.
What’s more tremendous was his promo. Max put over Samoa Joe so damn well! That’s how ya do it: don’t cut down your opponent, build him up so that it means something!

It felt so good to see Top Flight back; almost nostalgic of early AEW. High octane offense, the closing minutes were fantastic!

Christian and Copeland both brought some intensity but more importantly expertise into that ring with their build up towards Montreal! Looking forward to next week!

P.S. Gout’s a bitch. Get well soon, Toni Storm! LOL

How the hell does Dante Martin make it back from snapping his ankle in half before Mark Quen of Private Party makes it back from his injury? It feels like Quen has been gone a long time.

How about the Devil is revealed to be Tony Khan channeling “Higher Power” Vince? Nah… Please do a Tony Khan “It was me all along” impression.

Cody From Maine

“What will AEW’s response to Raw be?” was a commonly asked question over the last two days. The answer? Was what most probably expected. A show with some really good wrestling, story progression, and an all around more focused feel.

And I thought it translated well, this was a really good show. The only complaint I have is with Wardlow. Where his appearance tonight was more of a “don’t forget about him” squash match as opposed to anything substantial. Which is fine…unless it’s for a guy who we’ve seen in a million squash matches.

I’m looking forward to next week. I presume we’ll see the uncrowned Mother Of The Patriarchy cost Adam Copeland his match next week. As obviously the feud with Christian Cage has a bit longer to go.

Brian in New Jersey.

A quality wrestling show. I thought the Continental Classic matches this week were a big step up from the matches on last week’s Dynamite. Swerve Strickland is next level these days. I enjoyed the Copeland-Christian segment, but on TBS, they forgot to censor the F-Bomb! Not the first time this happened, following that scene with Rick Ross and Keith Lee last year or so. Great night for Dante Martin. Only real in-ring blemish to me was the finish to Julia Hart vs. Emi Sakura. Toni Storm and Mariah May leaving bigger impressions outside the ring.

The sooner they unmask the devil army, the better. No need for prolonged recycled masked goon attacks.

The definition of insanity, repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Well here’s your different result: me telling you to give this a rest and put your punctuation to work. Please.

5 Likes

Thank you for saying something. I used to listen to all feedback. This guy finally got me to skip someone.

1 Like

Well when they went to feedback on the podcast last night, John skipped right over him and went to Mark first.

1 Like