Right there. Your race to the bottom “well WWE are worse” mentality eliminates any credibility with me. I couldn’t care less about what WWE did. Just because AEW are less shit than WWE doesn’t mean they are good. Try and evaluate AEW and construct responses without relying on comparisons to WWE.

Watch FTRs match with SCU or the eight man where they tagged with the Bucks - both excellent matches.

The comparison is credible because they took less money for more creative freedom, better matches and more focus on the tag division - which is what AEW offers. That’s obvious to anyone who watches the show

1 Like

You ignored the first two points he made about Archer and FTR. Please respond to those, curious to hear what your issue is with them.

Please start tuning in more. They need your 50+ number.

Archer has been booked terribly, for someone in a title match. His biggest win is against Dustin Rhodes (after the Battle Royal I guess) after that it is against Janella. So you can cite his record but I will cite that the addendum should be added on Dark. He hasn’t beaten anyone that really matters at all. So he is hard to even buy as a threat in a title match. He’ll be a TV match Mox will win and move on. Archer really needed more matches on dynamite and to beat some More wrestlers who are above the jobber level. Have him beat Luchasaurus, or Darby, Jungle
Boy. AEW is really lacking guys who seem important, but not protected

1 Like

So, WWE has guys go 50/50 and people complain.
AEW has guys with strong records and people complain that the wins aren’t strong enough.

It doesn’t feel like either promotion can win.

4 Likes

This exactly.

Archer seems like a solid mid-card act that can be heated up for main event matches occasionally. If he catches fire and moves up, great. Perhaps a good showing against Moxley would do that.

I assure you that everybody who is complaining about Miro would be complaining just as much if he showed up and jumped into a main event program.

He can have a strong record but to face the champion and have me believe it I want him to beat another guy with a strong record. It is fine if he is just a midcard guy, but then don’t expect me to buy him to beat the top guys. I’m not even arguing he needs to be a top guy, just that if you want him in a title program he should have more quality wins than he does. Using college foot ball he feels like an undefeated team from a small conference going up against the national champions, but without the underdog positioning. I feel like I’m almost supposed to feel like Mox is the underdog and I don’t buy it. Like if day Jungle Boy won 8 matches in a row on dark, and the battle royal I would be excited for his under dog fight. When it is squash monster winning those matches, and he hasn’t really beaten any other credible opponent I just don’t have the buy in. Monsters need to make baby face champions look like the odds are against them to retain, and in this case I don’t buy it.

1 Like

No they weren’t. The SCU match was okay. The match where they tagged with The Young Bucks was a complete mess (as are any matches involving The Young Bucks and The Lucha Bros).

And the comparison is irrelevant. You aren’t providing an argument as to why the booking is good. You are relying on the fact that they were booked even worse in WWE. That does not mean AEW’s booking is good, but instead just less bad than WWE’s.

Apparently not. And I am 44 btw.

They can. Just pick a few people and book them to win strong in quick matches against everyone other than the other top talent. Don’t feel the need to give curtain jerking “talent” like Joey, Sonny, etc. 20 minute matches. Aside from the fact than most of these people’s ring craft is so poor they shouldn’t be anywhere near television (just look at how many of them can’t throw a basic punch that doesn’t look so obviously fake), they will never be over with anyone other than the portion of the AEW fanbase that they are already over with.

I think another large problem is guys racking up wins on dark. Those wins are borderline meaningless unless I also watch dark. “Wrestler x has been on a real hot streak on dark.” Is a good line to set up a mid level match to move up the card, not to rank a guy near the top, or in title contention. Most of the audience doesn’t watch dark. I think much WWE products this is a function of the ratings chase, every week we were getting our Cody match (when he had the title), our elite story, or Jericho segment, something about the title with Mox. After that there just isn’t much time left. But we needed Archer to beat someone that matters on some level and he really hasn’t. The opponents he has defeated have a combined singles record of 18-41 in 2020, and the only guy with a winning record is Colt Cabana who has been part of a story where he needs the Dark order to help him win. Further most of the wins for his opponents have been on dark so if I only watch dynamite these guys like even more like losers. Just because he is in a title match doesn’t mean he has been booked well to get there.

1 Like

So if a top team in sports, beat up on weaker teams who may be in their dIvision, pile up enough wins to make the playoffs and compete for the championship, but their record against people not in their division wasn’t that great, that means they don’t deserve a shot at competing for the championship?

I’m not saying it couldn’t have been done better, if they knew he was getting a title match, but wins are wins. He did well with the matches he was given and he won the match to earn the shot. I don’t see an issue.

1 Like

Lol, welcome to the world of being a wrestler or a booker.

Yup this is it.

While not everything AEW does is gold the one thing they do is make you believe a less credible contender can win. Not the opposite.

Look at what WWE did with Riccochet and Kofi. They basically told you they had a chance against Brock. Then the match happens and he basically squashes these guys and ends their career. They go back to mid card or go home.

AEW has guys seem like marginal contenders but let’s you believe they have a chance. Look at Dustin this past week where even though you know he’s not winning a title from Lee they give him enough where a couple of times you start to wonder if you are wrong.

Archer is very unlikely to be a world champion - I think everyone knows that the title is going to revolve around Omega and Page shortly with MJF and Jericho in the mix. However they have not sold Archer as some loser like Riccochet with no chance.

They have made you believe that Archer wins a lot and is a threat and even though we all know he’s not winning I bet the match will have a few spots where you think he might win and he will come out of it not being a loser like Riccochet but rather a strong upper mid card guy who is in a better spot than before the match was booked

4 Likes

I actually don’t think that is a problem at all. Dark is there if you want to watch it but it’s not mandatory viewing. They can heat guys up by getting them wins on that show and not overexpose them.

If his wins got him into a tournament for a championship shot and he won the tournament beating other good teams there would be no question. What we have instead is more akin to the old college football championship putting a small conference team who was undefeated in the championship game even though they beat no one. These is no playoff, unless you think the battle royal was a playoff, but entry into that had no base level of quality, and is much less telling than a tournament would have been.

1 Like

It is absolutely a problem if those wins are justifying title shots. If they justified being heated up for a run, where you then beat guys that matter. If all the heating up happens on dark, it leaves your dynamite viewers in the dark and makes viewing far less optional. It would be like someone in WWE having a bunch of wins on Main Event and getting put in a title match. So archer could get 8 wins on Dark, but then let him have some matches against someone bigger on Dynamite, mention his win streak and then let him beat someone that actually matters.

1 Like

That’s not what happened here though. He won some on Dark and some on Dynamite but was almost always featured with a segment on Dynamite so it’s not like he disappeared.

Honestly AEW has too much men’s talent right now so some of this stuff will happen. I like the fact that Dynamite is a two hour show and that’s really all you need to watch. I look at it like guys in the UFC winning regional fights before or sometimes after appearing on a UFC card. They’re all wins but sometimes not everyone sees them

But he didn’t beat anyone that mattered on dynamite. He beat guys that have also only been on dark. The point is that those UFC guys win those fights but don’t get a title shot before they beat other top guys.

1 Like