LIVE immediately after the pay-per-view

Robbie from London,

I never stay up for these Sunday night PPVs, but for me my wrestling fandom is just so connected to the Stinger. My fav wrestler since I was 3 years old, highly responsible for my fandom of my 2 fav promotions in my life, WCW and TNA, even went to Bound for Glory 09 in full Sting cosplay lol the wrestling tonight was great, but the emotion of bidding my all time favourite a proper goodbye, I will not forget. From that little Stinger in 1988, to this 39 year old man with tears flowing, what a great night.

Steve Grows Weed

Eddie beating Bryan was awesome!! Great to see him keep his Crown.
The 8 man was kinda awful. Couple fun moments, but most of the time the guys are sitting on the floor watching the damn match instead of being in it. Maybe not watch from the tv side Magnus.
Ospreay vs Takeshita…. Wow!! Amazing match!!
Do you think he’ll hold some secondary titles? Or go straight into World Title picture?
Who’s next for Samoa Joe? As I see Hangman and Swerve having their definitive match to clear the way for a championship rematch.
Main event was emotional but it showed that AEW knows how to do a retirement right.
Amazing show overall!! They made history tonight.

Andrew from Cape Breton

That may have been one of the greatest wrestling shows I’ve watched. To get to the negatives, the scramble match was rough at spots. I think that Magnus guy should go back to being the Smackdown General Manager. The Women’s Title match had some good grappling, but the finish was pretty bad. That said, everything else on the show was incredible. Each match seemed to want to try and be the match of the night, and top the one that came before it. I’m torn between the Ospreay/Takeshita match and the main event as my match of the night. The main event was insane. I like how they taped up Darby Allin, as it looked like they were keeping his guts from falling out after that insane dive. It sucks the pay per view feed cut off, as they went right until the end, but they fit so much action in those 4 hours, that I’m cool with it. Everyone worked hard, and it was one of the best AEW pay per views ever.

3 Likes

Jay from Colorado

Fantastic show throughout and I enjoyed every match with maybe the women’s title match being the lowpoint. I was was kind of disappointed with that match to be honest as I was expecting a banger out of the two as they have so much history. Not awful though, just wasn’t as good as it could have been.

Back to the best stuff of the show though, I thought the Sting retirement match played out perfectly. They made him look like an absolute legend in the flesh, and they had me on the edge of my seat with all the nearfalls. It was unfortunate that Sting was cut off at the end. Definitely one of the best shows of the year and I’m looking forward to

Year after year, I don’t think any AEW PPV delivers quite as hard as Revolution seems to.

And this year was no different.

So many times over the last thirty plus years of my fandom, I have seen childhood favourites go out due to injury or death. Or, just stick around beyond their expiration date, and flounder away. Tonight we saw the celebration of one of the all time legends, going out on his terms, in front of his fans and peers, being given a worthy send-off.

Wrestling is so lucky to have an AEW. Nobody was going to give Sting this sort of send-off elsewhere. This is an organization that embraces wrestling history - and celebrates it at every turn.

What a night.

I’ll never forget seeing Sting on the cover of the PWI 500 in 1992, on a new stand at Shoppers Drug Mart. He immediately jumped out to me.

It’s been an incredible journey. Happy retirement Sting.

ANTHONY!

Seeing Sting and the Stingers (his sons) on the ramp for his entrance told me everything I needed to know about this match. In 1992 when Canada did their free preview of certain American networks that we didn’t have already airing (Cartoon Network and TBS at the time) the first image I remember seeing was Sting. Sting vs Vader was the first match I remember watching and seeing this beach blond man fighting a giant of a man had me hooked. I was always a Stinger and seeing him get the send-off he deserved made me misted eyed (Seeing the Bucks super-kick Flair made me smile).

Thank You Sting for being around as long I have been alive!

2 Likes

I’m probably not as high on this as most people bc I hated the booking of Danielson beating Eddie on Dynamite telegraphing this loss and the women’s match was terrible but overall lots of good to great matches. The Osprey match was MOTN and the Sting send off was total insanity. I wish they had planned the post match promo better but overall it was a great tribute to one of the last true legends from the 80s still active.

I loved that they let him go out with a win and sent the crowd home happy.

Overall one of their better PPVs

Sal from California

I made the trip to Greensboro for the show and it was one of the greatest live wrestling shows I’ve seen.

Over the weekend, I was seeing people wearing Sting shirts everywhere I went, so many people at the Arena had facepaint on, it really felt like a huge celebration.

I won’t write too much. I’ll just say that Ospreay and Takeshita was incredible and the crowd every for the Sting match was electric. The Darby spot was very frightening in person and the medical team ran over and started wiping Darby’s back immediately.

Here are some notes about what happened after the show if you want to read them:

After the ppv, Sting said thank you to the fans and reminisced about his memories in Greensboro, he brought out Tony Khan who spoke briefly, he asked Tony Schiavone to say “It’s Sting” one more time and then he brought his son’s out. Darby got on the microphone and said “Well I’m going to take a trip to the hospital” and Sting told him he wanted Darby to text him with how many stitches he got. The entire roster came out and gave Sting a round of applause.

Overall it was an incredible weekend, hope you have a good night.

1 Like

Unbelievable show. Very strong matches and this is as close to 10 as any show can get. Sting winning was the ultimate catharsis. Eddie-Danieslon was crafted masterfully and I had a great time with OC-Strong. BCC-FTR is a strong contender for tag match of the year as well. However, while good, I didn’t think Ospreay-Takeshita was a match-of-the-year contender. It felt more like an exhibition that went from one high spot to the next and there was little story. Ospreay’s selling of his back was one-dimensional. He merely clutched it from time-to-time and there was no toll he had to pay when he did moves that placed strain on his back. Details not strong enough.