FEEDBACK - NXT TakeOver: WarGames 2020

0 voters

Allo, allo, allo! Davie Portman here requesting all of your feedback for tonight’s NXT TakeOver: WarGames! Join Braden and I for a LIVE WatchAlong & POST Show on YouTube and Twitch where we will be talking all about tonight’s event including:

Undisputed Era vs Team McAfee (WarGames Match)
Team Shotzi vs Team Candice (WarGames Match)
Leon Ruff vs Johnny Gargano vs Damian Priest (North American Championship)
Tommaso Ciampa vs Timothy Thatcher
Dexter Lumis vs Cameron Grimes (Strap Match)

We will be taking your calls tonight as well. Join the Zoom call to give us your on-air feedback.

Watch LIVE on YouTube and Twitch:
YouTube.com/upNXT

Suren [from Portland not Canada]

Decent Takeover overall; Ciampa/Thatcher and Grimes/Lumis exceeded expectations and I’m glad Johnny regained the North American title.
Both War Games matches were great but the women’s far exceeded the men’s. Pete’s Bitter End onto the chair was insane but “Trash Can Io” is my new hero.

Pretty decent Takeover, all around.

• Women’s War Games was great, and I am probably in the minority here but I loved the Io trash can spot.

• Raquel getting the pin over Io was a…choice? I mean Io does need a new challenger, but I can’t see Raquel winning the title, and nor should she. I just hope the build to said match isn’t Io getting wrecked by Raquel every chance they can get. They did that with her feud with Dakota. At least Io was protected in that she had to be taken down with a chokeslam through a ladder spot onto the metal below.

• Did not care for Ciampa/Thatcher. Thatcher just bores me.

• Strap match just existed as well. Hopefully this feud is done now.

• I disliked the NA title match, mostly because of all the dumb ghostface stuff, and them having Austin Theory come back was kinda bad considering he’s still a massive creep. Hopefully the tradition keeps up and Johnny loses the title on his first defense again. I’m over the Gargano stuff now. At least T-Bar had a good tweet for it:

• The Mens War Games match was good, but not as good as the women’s one.

Question of the Week: What do you guys see as the inevitable big title matches for New Year’s Evil? I have Balor vs Kushida or Kross (Balor goes over if its against Kushida), and Shirai vs Gonzalez for the title (Shirai goes over, I can’t see her losing the title to Raquel, who is a decent big woman, but not exactly champion worthy either).

The MVP of the night was Io Shirai for that insane spot and bumping, with Pat McAfee being in second.

Thought the men’s Wargames match was great. Started with technical wrestling between Dunne/KOR and devolved into madness. Shout out to Pat McAfee for exceeding expectations at every turn.

Chris Elliot
First up big shout out to the Twitch and YouTube rooms and of course our hosts for a great night tonight.
Now onto a tale of two matches. Both WarGames matches delivered. So much so that I’m having a tough time figuring out which of the two was the better match, think I’ll have to have a rewatch. After the big night AEW had last Wednesday, tonight NXT needed to show what they can do, and I think that those 2 matches did just that. I do however feel let down by the middle portion of the card. The Ciampa match was good fun but was in a tough spot following the first cage match. The strap match was just dull, way too long and nearly put me to sleep. And the triple threat was great until an overbooked mess of a finish.
Thanks again everyone

I had to eat some crow hoping that WarGames would be in a bigger building but somehow the CWC was able to pull it off. The two WarGames matches delivered in different ways. Io Shirai diving with a trash can over her off the top of the cage was the spot of the match. Raquel Gonzalez pinning Io was a curious choice as her next title challenger. Pat McAfee proved once again how much of natural he is and it was great to see Kyle get the pinfall as it’s looking more and more obvious that he’s getting a nudge to the top. The Ruff/Priest/Gargano triple threat was terrific and every man gained something out of it and I nailed the Austin Theory ghostface reveal. Ciampa/Thatcher and Lumis/Grimes were solid, too.

Finn Balor and Karrion Kross potentially returning this Wednesday will spice things up heading into 2021. Onwards to New Year’s Evil on 1/6.

Jesse à MTL

The correct plural of “Ghostface” is “Ghostsface”.

Take Care

2 Likes

ANTHONY!!!

Am I the only one who wanted Ruff to retain?
… So no more "Wednesday Night RUFF?"
:disappointed_relieved:

I found the women’s match very sloppy. You could hear them calling spots, way too overly choreographed and the spot with Shotzi jumping off the ladder onto Candace who picked up a chair (somehow without Shotzi noticing according to commentary) and then Candace fumbled with the chair and flipped the side over before Shotzi jumped… took me out of it personally

Ciampa- thatcher was amazing!! So hard hitting and physical The men’s war game Match was very solid although I was getting bored after 45 ish minutes but still good

And Shotzi broke Candice’s arm in the process.

The matches were good and I liked the Kross tease but I’m hoping some of these feuds are done with.