FEEDBACK - Raw 12/31/2018 & SDLive 1/1/2019

Raw & Smackdown this week was not bad but this week’s Smackdown was more entertaining per usual. I felt like I saw the picture of John Cena passing his torch to Becky Lynch.

Post up your thoughts here.

EDIT: Thanks for starting the thread! Updated with polls. - Wai

What did you think of WWE Raw 12/31/18?

0 voters

What did you think of WWE SmackDown 1/1/19?

0 voters

1 Like

Anthony from Melbourne

Hi, guys due to the holiday period I have a chance to leave some feedback :slight_smile:

I think we all know throwing McMahons at everything to fix it won’t work in 2019 but when I thought it couldn’t get any worse by altering the biggest babyface on smackdown AJ’s character into what I thought could be the return of the dreadful “pitbull” AJ (a Vince idea that AJ didn’t like) they messed with RAWs biggest babyface Seth.

I have heard they want edgier characters and AJ might not have had the most eventful 2018 but I don’t think if you’re trying to improve the product in an era where its hard to get true babyfaces over, you should be messing with those characters!

All these changes have also lead to hard holes to fill, there are “no automatic rematches” but there’s a tag team title rematch next week? “We listen to the fans” but the crowd wanted a dean, Seth title match so badly with Hunter in the ring and yet…Seth didn’t even get an “opportunity” in the battle royal?

In-ring I really like Drews Glasgow Kiss move, he had always pulled it off to look devastating until I got a replay on this RAW with a great angle of him slapping his face and not making contact with Ziggler, great job Kevin!

Also Edge and Christian Episode 5 worth a watch for the next Double Shot, some great references and a bit funnier, Episode 4 was bad.

A quick note on the Dean character, while they seem to be regressing from his germaphobe gimmick I have proof this may not be a gimmick at all! I think Dean is legitimately a germaphobe so they made it part of his character. At super showdown Dean walked past me in his entrance but instead of looking badass like the rest of the Shield, he looked scared of the crowd, had his hands over his face and was trying to get through without being touch as quickly as possible, he was never shown in any of the footage walking to the ring, but I have the proof!

I don’t actually believe this but with Vince, you never know! haha

2 Likes

I thought Raw was alright (I skipped the useless stuff). The main issue I have is that they call “fresh start”, having matches with forgotten empty characters. Who cared about Jinder and the singhs vs Rhino and Slater ? Have they forgotten how to build/rebuild characters so that we care about them ?

Main event was alright, battle royal was enjoyable.

Smackdown was really fun. I loved the interaction between Becky and John, loved the main event. I am also glad to see Carmella still in the “title picture”.

Chris from Queensland, Australia.

Firstly didn’t watch RAW, if I don’t watch the 3-hours live why would I watch it on tape delay.

That being said SmackDown was quite good, I really enjoyed Big E’s attempt at Steiner Math. Honestly enjoyed the passing of the torch moment between John Cena & Becky Lynch.

Side Question, if you haven’t already discussed it what are your thoughts on “All Elite Wrestling” & “Double Or Nothing (AKA. All In 2)”

Draw

1 Like

Brandon from Oshawa

Smackdown was a really solid show tonight. I read the spoilers and was debating on if I was going to watch tonight or tomorrow. Knowing what Becky was going to be doing, sold me on watching tonight. She is phenomenal in every situation she is in right now and I really hope they dont fuck this up with her. What I do think they are fucking up, is the New Day. These guys feel so stale to me right now. Even the mock Steiner promo didnt seem to hit with that audience. Most of them probably didnt get it at all. If the WWE wants to freshen things up, they either need to let these guys stay together, but go after singles gold, or just break them up already.

DavidGeorge91 from Manila, Philippines:

Raw was good not the best (but for the useless stuff instead of skipping it I simply just listened to it). The only thing curious about this, is the ‘Fresh start angle’, having matches with redundant, over reliant characters when will it gonna improve it :thinking:? Mahal with the singhs vs Rhino and Slater? What a waste of time, they should win at least I just hope the Revival will win next week, nevertheless S.S.D.D (Same Sh*t, Different Day) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

PS: Main event is good, and the battle royal was applaudable but enjoyable :blush::+1: .

Question: I haven’t seen Shelton Benjamin for days now (at least he showed up last week?) Is he gonna be a champion anytime soon?

Longtime LAW listener btw :wink::wink:

Adam J Cress from Oakville here,

A rare live watch (of a taped episode) allowing me to post feedback for the first time since the days of the LAW, long before you had a theme song and when we were graced with Steve Sanders 90210 themed feedback.

Really enjoyed Smackdown Live tonight, and not just with the bell curve of a dreadful few weeks of programming the past month. Aside from the terrible New Years resolution segments I thought the show moved well, featured great in-ring work and built reasons to care for each match/segment.

Rhe one thing that bothered me is that I had really hoped that the “reason to care” about a match in the women’s division wasn’t by propping itself up on a jealous wife gimmick. I know Mandy Rose might not be ready to carry the kind of storyline a Becky or Charlotte could, but the women’s division (especially on Smackdown Live) is so beyond needing to leverage itself on women fighting over men. That being said when I look at the prospect of 2019 for women’s wrestling in WWE and think back to years past, it is encouraging to see how the woman have taken the ball and knocked it out of the park. Imagine being back prior to 2014 and being told that both Raw and Smackdown would be giving airtime (and closing shows) with the women. Not only that but featuring storylines on each brand including in-ring segments built properly through backstage scenes.

One question: How seriously do you think the WWE is/would consider bringing back 1-on-1 inter-gender matches? and if so, how far away would that be? Personally I can’t see them doing it anytime soon, and I don’t even believe the women’s division “needs it” persay, it was just so refreshing and exciting to see the Becky Cena interactions and I think to myself: If there was a person who could do it and make it a success it would be this incarnation of Becky Lynch.

Just wanted to say that with the 1-year anniversary of the POST having just passed that you guys continue to get better and better with each passing year. John and Wai I consider you to be the Elite and Post Wrestling the AEW of the podcast world. Before Cody and the boys stepped out into their bet-on-themselves-success you guys did it yourselves and it’s so great to see the success you’ve had. Proud to be a Patron and excited for what 2019 will bring my favourite podcast. Thanks for all your hard work at POST and happy new year fellas.

Brandon frm NJ

My dearest Les Habitants

My friends I’m back did you miss me? I know my pal Wai Tizzle has, what’s crackin man it’s been some time gang haha oh my my dec has been busy my guys. You don’t even know the half man. Thanks for askin Wai yeah ups was bananas this year. Any who we are really here for Le Smackdown. It was grand man that show is a breeze bro like you can’t go wrong watching that show. I had fun

Meanderings for 2019

-AEW signings will they book Steven Amell strong or will they use him as enhanced talent

-John cena’s Mix match challenge match looked like an infomercial for Sky Vodka

-Wai why

-Greg Hardy co maining a show in BK might be worse than the Jon Jones fiasco. Unbelievable eh JoPo. Tell Breen I said high when you do the year end MMA show and my return to Sherdog is imminent

I’m out of here peace