Vince is fried. Obsolete. Whatever the hell you want to say, he needs to be gone. There has not been a genuine thrilling big match in how long? If signing up for NJPW world wasn’t so difficult in the US I would be switching subscriptions tonight. Absolutely terrible show that blew out any excuses Edge, Christian or Jericho have for the Roman Reigns experiment.

They can’t flaunt their stupid “well as long as they’re saying something it works!” when the arena is emptying during the main event. This killed Joe by bringing him down to Roman’s level. I have no interest in the WWE title feud and unless Braun or Rollins is facing Brock next I have zero interest in the Universal title. The WWE has given their audience zero incentive to tune in for the next six weeks. Nothing matters. This is the same type of show that made me quit the product in 2015/6. Sickening and disgusting

1 Like

Personally, i didn’t think it was a bad show. The fans we’re enjoying the show for the most part outside of the main event and they was a really bad match on the card.

The opener was a great match, both women’s match we’re better then expected. The Elias segment was entertaining and I really loved it. The AJ vs nakamura was really good and loved the ending because it makes sense in the current story they are telling and I want to see we’re this feud will end and reigns vs Joe was your typical reigns vs Joe match and it didn’t bother me as much it did some.

All and all, backlash was a stronger show in my eyes then it had the right to be considering the time they had to actually booked it.

Okay ( deep breath ) here it goes:

This freakin company deserves all criticism and crap it takes. I’ve tried to not directly bash their booking or business decisions because ultimately I blame the fans (incl. myself) who continue to support WWE no matter what crap we are asked to endure. ( I write this as they stock, which I hold, continues to rise, so I really am at a loss for what changes their direction at this point).

9 days after the Greatest Royal Rumble (which was 2+ weeks after WrestleMania) the company has the audacity to run a PPV that runs longer than 3 hours and put me to literal sleep several times. A non-finish title match, no other title changes, and a main event that felt like an exhibition is not a PPV - this is a house show!

From Nia’s PSA for good PR (undoubtedly for a B A Star package coming soon) to tone deaf booking of Roman (again!), there wasn’t a single thing that made me think this promotion is the top tier of pro wrestling or even entertainment!! Andre the Giant and Ric Flair could walk through those doors in their primes right now and be wasted. How can the most talented in ring roster in decades (if not ever) be relegated to this crap?

Then you have old stalwarts Orton and Hardy getting boring chants - serious question: Has anyone got more Boring Chants than Orton since 2010?

Let’s check in on the heroic return of Daniel Bryan. Oh I see it has taken less than 3 months before the crowd is chanting for an alleged rapist instead of what they are watching. I get that it was directed at Cass’ placement in the match but if you are going to book Bryan in those situations he was better off retired. I have zero interest in this guy being booked every week in pointless matches that make him feel more mid-card than at any point in his retirement. He had better programs from a chair on Talking Smack.

Carmella as a champion has regressed the division to the days of Kelly Kelly. I know Carmella tries (remember that great show Proving Ground?!) but she lacks in-ring talent to carry a division that just featured Charlotte beating Asuka. No instead, Carmella beats Charlotte with offense that makes Kelly Kelly’s ring running look credible. Some women’s revolution: a champion on one brand that is forced to read an Anti-Bullying promo after the company just agreed to ban women from a card in Saudi Arabia, and another who is flat out terrible.

Now, on to the most egregious use of talent I can recall in years.
Consider Okada-Omega and the trilogy so far and now contrast it to AJ-Nakamura the past few weeks. I’m not directly trying to compare the two promotions but objectively speaking about what wrestling is and should be, WWE should be embarrassed to waste two generational performers like they are. Yes, they may eventually have the classic but at this point the feud is tarnished. A feud that started with the idea of a dream match has now finished in back to back no contests with count-outs and more low-blows than pin falls. There is no rivalry, there is no in-ring masterpieces, there is just the humor of a 5 year old who thinks low-blows are funny in 2018. This is trash. Want to make fans care about your top stars, treat them like wrestling gods (again, see Okada and Omega), not like 5 year old children.

I have no comment on a Adam Rose esq conga line which forced this show over the 3 hour mark for zero reason. This is bad as a Raw segment, much less a filler on a card with no heat. I can accept this if the matches were big fight feels and you need a break, but this got squeezed in between boring chants and that the crowd didn’t shit on this entirely should tell you how poor the actual matches came across to the live crowd. (okay, I did have a comment on it)

And I’ll let the crowd speak for me on that main event. More boring chants. Beat the traffic chants. Zero pop for Roman + an unnecessary loss for Joe. Just tone deaf, numb booking.

And I use numb as an adjective here because I’m numb to all of this. I watch out of habit. I realize this company isn’t changing. And I am learning to have zero excitement for a WWE show. I fell asleep last night watching this show, and woke up to watch AJ/Nakamura and Roman/Joe before work. I fell asleep 3 more times for matches I kinda wanted to see. I don’t want to see any of this anymore. But like I said from the top - it’s my fault I continue to engage with them and subscribe to the network because I validate their business model and booking decisions and for this I am at a complete loss as how to feel as a fan.

1 Like

I will start off by saying, I didn’t even finish the entire show. I just got fed up and stopped watching at the beginning of the Stroman/Lashley vs. KO/SZ.

Pre-show:
It was OK, I agree with Wai that Renee represents the average viewer presently and think she is probably the strongest person on the panel overall.

The pre-show match wasn’t great. I do think that Ruby did an admirable job but she just couldn’t carry Bailey. I am not sure why Bailey gets the love she does, her moves are sloppy her execution in general feels off and everytime I watch her mistake riddled matches I hope she doesn’t hurt her opponent.

The Miz vs. Rollins was a terrific match, I love seeing matches where Miz looks this good and it seems like Seth brings out the best in him. I am not a big Rollins fan either, but I do think this was the best match on the card (that I saw).

I didn’t mind either of the women’s title matches. I’ve always been a fan of Alexa Bliss, her heel gimmick works so well but it is better when she plays off of an ally. The pre-match promo felt odd, they pushed the idea of body positivity hard, like it was the point of the feud and maybe I missed it the segments leading up to the match but I always felt it was more about bullying in general and fat shaming was only a part of it.

I agree with John and Wai, that Nia’s promo at the end of the match felt like a PSA. Like WWE was shoveling their work down our throats and it didn’t really hit home with me in the slightest.

Carmella doesn’t seem to have the move set to pull off extended matches, but I did like the way she played with the crowd during those long chin locks, and taunted Charlotte. She is a genuinely unlikable character and I think that is great for a heel in the women’s division. I’d like to see her move set evolve a little.

I liked Elias in his promo, but they should have stopped the segment at Rusev, No Way Jose and his dancing posse felt like they just took some ecstasy backstage and just decided to dance around the ring, they didn’t even fit the segment.

It felt like a way to cram a duel branded promo into the show and shove anyone with any music-like gimmick together for the hell of it.

Big Cass vs. Bryan, the match was kind of boring so I decided to skip most of it catching only the beginning and end.

AJ vs. Nakamura - First I thought the match was picking up steam nicely, each superstar had their fair share of heat. AJ was bumping hard for a sizable portion of the match. The ending left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was willing to accept the outcome during the GRR but a little more than a week later on Backlash - c’mon what were they thinking?

1 Like

An impromptu tag of New Day vs. Elias and Rusev Day would have been too good for the live crowd who desperately wanted to enjoy anything. No, instead this went the Adam Rose direction. Brilliant!

2 Likes

Firstly I was surprised that WWE resisted the temptation to have a one-on-one match between Styles-Nakamura before WrestleMania. For that I applauded them.

Then we have Nakamura turn heel after loosing at WrestleMania, okay Nakamura was a heel in NJPW with-in Chaos so this should play out alight, right? But how wrong I was.

Nukamura’s heel incarnation is very 2-dementional so far, “No Speak English” & Low-Blows, really? Really! So then their was the “No Women Allowed, Men Only” Un-Greatest Royal Rumble, (where I didn’t watch) but it ends in a double count out near the time keepers area. So far a rather luck luster fude.

So how does New SmackDown GM Paige look to resolve a non-finish in a WWE Championship match? A “No Disqualification match” okay excellent, either Styles retains in victory or Nukamura becomes the New WWE Champion in victory, Right? Oh wrong again other me!

A championship match which goes 20-minuets then ends after a second set of low blows leaves both men down for a 10-count. A double count out again?

I’m done with this fude & I’m done with WWE for a while.