FEEEDBACK: "Predator" (1987)

Rewind-A-Wai #140 will be released this Thursday for all POST Wrestling Café members with a review of the 1987 film “Predator”.

This movie was selected by Espresso member @UpsSean

A team of commandos on a mission in a Central American jungle find themselves hunted by an extraterrestrial warrior. (IMDB)

The film can be streamed on Disney+ (subscription required)

Leave us your feedback in the thread and tune in this Thursday!

Just a heads up: Predator is on MAX and Hulu in the United States. Everywhere else is on Disney+

Great film from back in the day… Part of what seems like a near untouchable run by Arnold, with the exceptions of “Raw Deal” and “Red Heat” It’s probably one of the best run of films anyone has gotten on, and ever will.

I saw this film with my Dad in a drive-in called the Mustang that was just outside London, Ontario. So, I have fond memories of seeing it, Commando, The Running Man, Red Sonja, Terminat and Conan the Destroyer. The drive-in was a favourite activity for my Dad to take my sister and me to throughout the summers. So, I have a lot of memories of seeing a lot of 80s films there, multiple times :smiley:

That said, Jon McTierna’s run was pretty epic as well… This, Die Hard, the Hunt for Red October.

I’ve saw Predator for the first time last year to prepare myself for Prey (the excellent prequel on Hulu or Disney+ in Canada). The man vs nature battle powered this film and it was cool to see Jesse Ventura have a supporting role and that iconic handshake with Carl Weathers…I understand why it was such a classic film. The tone was harsh and grimy. The atmosphere was pitch perfect.
Predator GIF - Predator Handshake Muscle - Discover & Share GIFs
Do give Prey a look sometime.

Brian in New Jersey.

I don’t remember when I first saw this, but it would have been on TV. A classic sci-fi movie and one of the best in Arnold’s filmography. Nine times out of ten, I see his characters as invincible supermen, but here he comes off more vulnerable against the title threat, and has to use some smarter strategy to come out on top, which he barely does. I like how the story goes from a special ops action movie to a monster movie with more mystery to it. Kind of using the Jaws playbook in keeping the Predator hidden. Interesting cast surrounding Arnold, and I especially liked Bill Duke as Mac. I didn’t realize until many years later that writer-director Shane Black was among the team as the guy in glasses that gets killed early, and that the actor playing the Predator was originally going to be Jean Claude Van Damme, but was dismissed for, among other things, being too short compared to the rest of the cast, so it ended up being the 7’2 stunt actor who also starred in Harry and the Hendersons.

I wanted to recommend a novel I discovered over the summer. The Last Action Heroes: The Triumphs, Flops, and Feuds of Hollywood’s Kings of Carnage by Nick de Semlyen

Highly entertaining and informative read on all the big action stars of the 80’s and 90’s. The Schwarzenegger/Stallone rivalry was quite petty and hilarious.

One of my favorites was when Arnold started getting into more comedy’s, he was offered the lead in the notoriously awful 'Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!". He decided to send out false interest so that Stallone would hear it and “steal” it from him. It worked.

1 Like