Greatest Wrestler of All Time - WINNER RIC FLAIR!

I did pick Shawn, but Bret was my number #2. While Bret wasn’t necessarily a huge draw, he was on top of the industry for almost a decade, and IMO he had the most believable matches I have ever seen. He had a great character (face or heel) and when he was on his promos were great (think summer of ‘97).

Eddie spoke to a generation, especially latin fans. He never got the long term run he deserved, but there are many reasons for that. Some his own fault, some the fault of WCW/WWF’s and sadly he never finished his career due to his tragic early passing. No former wrestler is mention on TV now a day’s more then Eddie.

RVD, while not my choice, was the face of ECW so I can see why hardcore ECW fans could pick him. He had great matches (those with Jerry Lynn were amazing) and his character was unique and cool at the time. Again, not my choice, but I see the perspective.

With any poll like this, different people are going to have different opinions. And of course there is going to be crossing over between “favourite” and “greatest”. If this was basketball, it’s easy to say “my fav of all time is Kobe, greatest of all time is MJ” as it’s a sport and it comes down to performance. In wrestler because it is a performance art, it’s very subjective and it’s a cool debate. If enough people vote, I do think a worthy winner will arise. Hell, I did this 15 years ago and Flair won, here we are in 2020 and he’s once again in the lead.

1 Like

Definitely. And that’s why I feel Bret is even more important. The dude went out there every night and made must see matches out of anybody he worked with. He made everybody from Diesel to Virgil feel like a star.

2 Likes

Absolute nonsense. Nobody with any credibility could possibly argue Eddie or RVD are the greatest wrestlers of all time.

100%! I can remember watch the SS match with Diesel like 5 times as teen. I have NEVER re-watched a Diesel match outside of that one lol. He was just great in the ring, and the fact that he was Canadian (as am I) did create more of a connection for me as a viewer.

1 Like

Please stop gaslighting people, counter them, but no need to tell them their opinions are wrong.

1 Like

In ring, Eddy was fantastic. His impact in wrestling is debatable. However, he had some of the best matches of the 90’s… Performances on AAA When World’s Collide, and Halloween Havoc 97 are better in ring than 99% of talents ever.

I feel despite the platform in WWE, he never truly had those sort of major matches. His match with Brock had the screwy finish, so it sorta overshadows the match - but still an incredible moment.

Eddy should also be remembered for the great indie run he had between his WWE stints in the early 2000’s, where he humbly worked for a bunch of indies and absolutely raised the profile of several promotions in an important time.

Again, I wouldn’t argue he’s the best ever… But definitely worth being in the conversation.

RVD… Had a hot two years. By the time he had his run in WWE, it was basically too late.

1 Like

I wonder why eddie is brought up the most. I guess he’s the biggest name the WWE seems comfortable referencing.

Macho seemed like a no go for a while.

Eddie was part of the WWE when he passed and it wasn’t directly from drugs or some other reason they would want to sweep under the rug. I’m not sure him being mentioned today is an indicator of GOAT.

His run at the top was just too short.

RVD was the face of ecw but not until after 1997 imo. I always considered that after the peak but that could be my own bias.

ECW after 98 always felt like it was slowly going downhill with the biggest names leaving.

1 Like

As far as him being brought up all the time, I do think that is tragic early passing has a lot to do with it, but the guy was a great performer. Remember his promo where he said nothing, and had heat the entire time with just his facial expressions? He was great. I echo what @MarkP said, I wouldn’t argue he’s the best ever, but definitely worth being in the conversation.

1 Like

Fair point

I can’t move him ahead of hogan, austin, or flair but I can see top five for my own personal list.

2 Likes

No sane person would argue eddie wasn’t ultra talented but this thread is greatest of all time and he just doesn’t fit.

1 Like

Again, I agree and its not like he’s leading the poll. I’m just saying I get it.

Just gonna throw the name John Cena onto the pile. Great longevity with a nearly 20 year career, most of which at the top of the card. Proven ratings draw and money maker through merch and ticket sales. Great career of matches and feuds. Also now a mainstream star outside the company doing plenty of adverts, tv shows and movies.

As good as Flair and Hart where watching back they where well/slightly before my time. I don’t think HBK was top guy on his own enough to be considered for me as he had Hart then Austin with him the full time. Hogan is a massive star but his WWE in ring was never amazing although he could have the occasional good match.

2 Likes

He’s tied with the hulkster :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s almost crazier than the trump covid situation.

2 Likes

I wish he had had a heel run when he was at his peak. Huge missed opportunity and maybe he’d be higher on my list.

Brock Lesnar is my pick - he’s made the most money in the least amount of time working.

That’s what this is a business - that’s why Brock comes and goes when he pleases and HBK still has to work at NXT.

Hbk needs money?

Was that JBL storyline actually true

It’s pretty well known that he was bad with his money. He accepted whatever Vince gave him, he was a mark and wanted to put on good matches and hold the title

I’m not gaslighting anyone and I’m not going to waste my time arguing something that is clearly ludicrous.

I’m surprised to hear this coming from you.

You have a very unique perspective About wrestling that the majority here don’t agree with, but I would never tell you that your personal feelings are wrong. You respect what you respect, and that’s cool. But when the shoe is on the other foot and there are people that view wrestling (a performance art) through a different lens, you take shots at them and tell them they are wrong.

I don’t even disagree with you as those wrestlers are not my choice either, but I don’t like the way you put people down who disagree with you.

He has a net worth of 17million, he’s surviving lol.

1 Like