Hillsborough County Commissioner: "I hope WWE make that call themselves"

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/03/14/hillsborough-county-commissioner-i-hope-wwe-make-that-call-themselves/

The latest regarding the staging of WrestleMania in Tampa is that the decision may not be WWE’s to make.

During a news segment for the Fox 13 affiliate in Florida, Hillsborough County Commissioner Leslie Miller, Jr. stated that:

“I’m hoping that Vince McMahon and WrestleMania, the WWE make that call themselves but a week from now, if they have not done that and we’re in a similar situation as we are now, we will probably have to pull the plug on that.”

On Saturday morning, Florida health officials confirmed 25 more positive cases of the novel coronavirus within the state and an overall total of 77. The death count within Florida has hit three as of Saturday.

WWE’s official statement regarding the status of WrestleMania is below:

“While we remain committed to hosting Wrestlemania at Raymond James Stadium on Sunday, April 6, we are putting contingency plans in place in the event that it is cancelled by government officials, civil authorities and/or local venues.”

While WWE is not going forward with live events this weekend in Toronto, Ontario and Youngstown, Ohio, they are continuing their television tapings. On Friday night, SmackDown was held from the WWE’s Performance Center in front of an empty arena, which will be the same location and parameters for Monday’s episode of Raw.

This has to just be game of chicken at this point - contractual semantics regarding money owed or not owed if WWE cancels vs. if somebody else cancels. But maybe I’m giving WWE too much credit.

1 Like

The defiance is truly startling. Not even sure what ke how else to say it.

When the NCAA, a corrupt scummy organization that exploits kids cancels the only thing that makes them money, and Vince won’t, well, I think we can all agree exactly where he belongs in the history book of morals and social responsibility.

4 Likes