IMPACT WRESTLING REPORT: Mack vs. Bey, Ken Shamrock suspended

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/12/01/impact-wrestling-report-mack-vs-bey-ken-shamrock-suspended/

MPACT Wrestling

December 1st, 2020

Skyway Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

Commentary by: Josh Matthews and Matt Striker

Motor City Machine Guns vs XXXL

Motor City Machine Guns attack XXXL as soon as the bell rings. On commentary Madison Rayne questions why Larry D is not in jail after it was revealed last week that his alter-ego, Lawrence D was the one who shot John E. Bravo. Sabin and Shelley takedown Acey Romero with tandem Kicks and Clotheslines. The Machine Guns attempt a Poetry In Motion however Romero catches Shelley and slams him across the back of Sabin allowing XXXL to take advantage. Larry D picks up a two count after Kicking Shelley in the head. Larry D knocks Sabin off the apron to prevent him from making the tag and XXXL hits a Sandwich Freight Train to Shelley. Romero follows up with a Senton but Sabin is able to break the pin. Shelley comes back after hitting Sliced Bread to Romero and makes the tag to Sabin as Romero tags Larry D back in. Sabin hits a Step-Up Enziguri followed by a DDT. The guns hit a Dropkick/Flatliner to Larry D. Sabin attempts to get Larry D up for a Fireman’s Carry but Larry muscles him into the corner and tags Romero back in. XXXL goes for the Sandwich Freight Train again but Sabin moves causing them to crash into each other. Larry D goes up the top for a Big Splash but misses. Machine Guns hit a Drop Toe Hold/Bulldog to Romero, followed by Double Superkicks to Larry D. They hit a Double Suplex to Acey Romero taking him out of the match, and hit the Neckbreaker/Splash combo to Larry D to pick up the win.

Motor City Machine Guns defeat XXXL via Pinfall in 9 mins 25 secs

Davie’s thoughts: I thought this was a really enjoyable opening match and probably the best match I’ve seen XXXL have. I felt there was a great level of back and forth, with XXXL always having the upper hand due to their size and strength. Both Sabin and Shelley are great at playing the babyface in peril trying to make that hot tag. Eventually, the Machine Guns’ impressive chemistry and double team maneuvers were able to win them the match. Great start to the show.

Shamrock Suspended

As Sami Callihan and Ken Shamrock are entering the building, Scott D’Amore and security stop them from entering. D’Amore tells Shamrock that he is suspended for thirty days for hitting D’Lo Brown last week. Shamrock says that when he comes back he will lay his hands on somebody. As Callihan enters the arena he shoulder barges Scott D’Amore.

Larry D KO’s Dreamer

John E. Bravo approaches Larry D backstage demanding answers and asking why he isn’t in prison. Larry D grabs him by the throat as Tommy Dreamer breaks them up wearing a Police shirt. Dreamer tells Bravo to calm down otherwise he would arrest him. Larry D asks what authority he has to arrest anybody. Dreamer says that he’s not a real Policeman and it wasn’t a real judge in Wrestler’s Court. Larry D says that he was set up. Dreamer tells him that he will take him to the Police Station to explain the setup. Larry D punches Dreamer in the face, knocking him out. John E. Bravo comes back and screams when he sees the unconscious Dreamer.

Renee Michelle & Killer Kelly vs Jordynne Grace & Jazz

Jordynne Grace and Killer Kelly start the match with both feeling each other out with Leg Sweeps and Shoulder Blocks. Both seem very easily matches as they are countering and dodging each other’s moves. Jazz and Renee Michelle both get tagged in and lock up. Jazz applies a Crossface as she delivers forearms across the face of Michelle. Jordynne Grace tags back in and Michelle Dropkicks her to the outside to gain control. Killer Kelly gets tagged in and hits a Penalty Kick for a two count and follows up immediately with vicious punches to the face as the referee tells her to break it up. Kelly and Michelle continue to isolate Grace in their corner and make quick tags. Grace fights back with a Back Elbow and Spinebuster before making the tag to Jazz. Jazz takes both Kelly and Michelle out with Clotheslines and Jabs. Grace gets tagged in but Kelly is able to catch her with a Headbutt followed by a Dropkick in the corner for a pin attempt but Grace’s foot is on the rope. Jordynne Grace comes back with the Grace Driver but Renee Michelle is a blue to break up the pin. Jazz gets tagged in and goes for a pin on Killer Kelly but is unaware that Renee Michelle blind tagged herself back in. Michelle attacks Jazz but Jazz is able to hit the X-Factor and pick up the win.

Jordynne Grace & Jazz defeat Renee Michelle & Killer Kelly in 8 mins 56 secs (Plus commercials)

Davie’s thoughts: I thought this was another entertaining tag match with Jazz proving that she still has some gas left in the tank. I haven’t watched Jazz wrestle since she left WWE in 2004 so it was great to see that she can still go. I would definitely like to see more from Killer Kelly as she has always impressed me when I’ve seen her over the past few years. Unfortunately, she hasn’t really showcased too much over this week and last week. However, they were able to give her and Renee Michelle something as they were beating down on Jordynne Grace for the majority of the match. As it stands, my pick for the final would be Jordynne Grace & Jazz vs Kiera Hogan & Tasha Steelz, with Hogan & Steelz ultimately winning it.

IMPACT Plus Flashback Moment of the Week

This week’s IMPACT Plus Flashback Moment of the week is from Final Resolution 2010 featuring Motor City Machine Guns vs Generation Me in a Full Metal Mayhem match. The Motor City Machine Guns win after Chris Sabin hits Max Buck off the top of the ladder with a steel chair, which sends him crashing through a table.

Ethan Page Challenges Karl Anderson

Ethan Page is with Josh Alexander and says that everyone saw him lose to Swoggle last week Page says that everybody loves messing with him too. Page says that he has a plan to fix it all. He says that Karl Anderson already thinks that it’s him who looks out for Ethan Page but questions why he thinks it’s him. Page admits to taking out Gallows and says that it felt great. Page says that the only way Anderson can get revenge is by facing him at Final Resolution. The one stipulation is if Page beats Anderson, The North gets a shot at the Tag Team Titles.

Davie’s thoughts: This was another entertaining promo from Ethan Page. The idea of a singles match between Karl Anderson and Ethan Page at Final Resolution actually really interests me and I think it could be pretty good. This can also test the waters to see how Page would fare as a singles competitor in IMPACT Wrestling.

Alisha Attacks Callihan

Tenille Dashwood and Kaleb With A K approach Alisha Edwards as they go to present her with matching eyeglasses. Alisha runs off as she attacks Sami Callihan for taking out her husband last week. Security pulls Alisha and Callihan apart and as Sami leaves, he blows a kiss to her.

Johnny Swinger vs Cody Deaner

Johnny Swinger gets Cody Deaner into the corner and starts to pose but Deaner comes back with a Clothesline and begins stomping down on him in the corner. Eric Young and Joe Doering enter and take out Cousin Jake before attacking Cody Deaner causing the DQ.

Johnny Swinger and Cody Deaner fight to a No Contest in 49 secs

After the match, Swinger tries to give Young and Doering a high five but Doering hits him with a Double Handed Chokeslam. Eric Young then hits Deaner with the Piledriver before grabbing the microphone. Young says that this will continue until we open our eyes. He says that he and Doering are the cure and the sickness is everywhere. Once again Young says that the world belongs to them.

Davie’s thoughts: These Eric Young beatdowns and promos are getting incredibly repetitive and boring. Eric Young returned to IMPACT Wrestling over four months ago and it feels like every week he is attacking someone and cutting this same directionless promo. It’s got to the point where I really don’t care who his next feud is with and I want him to just go away.

Deonna Purrazzo Needs James Mitchell’s Help

Deonna Purrazzo and Kimber Lee approach Father James Mitchell and ask him if he has turned Su Yung back to Suzie. Mitchell says that they have no idea how it works and he will need to have Su Yung if he is going to change her back. Purrazzo says that she knows how to get Su. They tell Mitchell that they are going to the ring and he should be ready.

Cody Deaner Is Not A Nobody

The Deaners are backstage and frustrated by continuously being attacked by Eric Young. Cousin Jake says that they are going to fix this. Cody Deaner doesn’t think it’s about “we” but it’s about “me” and thinks this is personal. Deaner says that Eric Young was there on his first day of wrestling school and that they were riding partners. He used to consider Eric Young family but now he is a nobody to him and he won’t let Young treat him like a nobody. Cody Deaner wants to prove to Young next week that he is not a nobody.

The Bridesmaids Take Su Yung

Deonna Purrazzo and Kimber Lee come to the ring to call out Su Yung. Purrazzo says that Su Yung is contractually obligated to a rematch for the Knockouts Championship and if she wants that rematch she has to come to the ring now.

Su Yung’s music hits and she makes her way to the ring in her undead bride attire. Immediately after Su Yung’s entrance, James Mitchell comes out. Mitchell says that Su Yung has been a thorn in his side for too long and tonight she will pay for her sins. Sinister music starts to play as Zombie Bridesmaids make their way to the ring.

Purrazzo then attacks Su Yung from behind but Yung knocks her down with a headbutt. Su Yung goes to use the Poison Mist on Kimber Lee but Purrazzo comes back and starts to strangle her before delivering the Gotch Piledriver. The Zombie Bridesmaids then remove Su Yung from the ring and leave with Father James Mitchell.

Davie’s thoughts: These segments are already very strange, however with the lack of crowd noise they don’t really work at all. The visual of Su Yung’s and the Zombie Bridesmaid’s entrance looks great however, as soon as the regular lighting comes on and the action starts in the ring it feels very jarring when there is silence. These whacky stories are something we have come to accept in IMPACT but I feel they would work a lot better being done backstage during these times where there are no crowds.

Moose Warns Chris Bey

Chris Bey is approached backstage by Moose who says that if Bey beats Willie Mack tonight that will put him in line as Number 1 Contender for the IMPACT World Heavyweight Championship. Chris Bey says that he knows what Moose is doing and that he wants to be the first challenger when Bey becomes IMPACT Champion. Moose calls Bey a kid and says that he doesn’t get it. Moose tells Bey that real power isn’t given but it is taken, so if he does beat Rich Swann for the Championship, he will take it from him whenever he chooses.

Karl Anderson Responds To Ethan Page

Karl Anderson responds to Ethan Page’s challenge and says that he has lost his mind. Anderson says that it wouldn’t be smart of him to accept the challenge but after Page took out his partner, he has to. Anderson says that Page will see why IMPACT Wrestling brought him here and that he will beat the living hell out of him. He says that Page may have some friends and alter ego’s but he has some friends too and he will see him at Final Resolution.

IMPACT X Division Championship
Crazzy Steve vs Rohit Raju

Rohit Raju tells Steve to put the monkey away before the match starts. As Crazzy Steve’s back is turned, Rohit attempts to attack him but Steve catches him with a School Boy for a two count. Rohit then bails to the outside and says that he will wrestle on his own time. Steve applies an illegal submission in the ropes and then bites the arm of Rohit, which makes the referee give him a warning. Rohit comes back with an awesome looking Jumping Flatliner followed by a Penalty Kick for a two count. Rohit hits a Spinning Neckbreaker followed by a Fisherman’s Suplex for another two-count and starts to look frustrated. Rohit attempts to apply a Kimura but Crazzy Steve fights out. Crazzy Steve hits a DDT across the top rope and follows off with a Top Rope Crossbody for a two count. Rohit comes back with a Jumping Knee to the face but Steve is able to apply a Crucifix submission and almost taps out the champion. Crazzy Steve attempts a Crucifix Pin but Rohit sits down on his shoulders and uses the ropes as leverage to get the win.

Rohit Raju defeats Crazzy Steve in 8 mins 59 secs (Plus commercials)

Davie’s thoughts: Once again, I thought this was a very entertaining match. Rohit Raju has really raised his stock since becoming X Division Champion and is fully capable of putting on some really good matches. He has now added some aggression to his move set and everything he hits has more of a snap to it. The Jumping Flatliner and Fisherman’s Suplex looked especially nice. This is the best work I have seen from Crazzy Steve who built up really well to his hope spots. I don’t feel he is quite at the level of being an X Division Champion yet but this was a great step in the right direction.

Fallah Bahh Wants The Money Back

Kiera Hogan and Tasha Steelz are celebrating winning their first-round tournament match and stealing the arm wrestling money from Fallah Bahh. They start talking about all the stuff they could buy with the money when Fallah Bahh approaches them and says that he saw on Twitter that they stole it from him. Kiera admits to stealing the money but says that they don’t have it with them right now. As Fallah Bahh is looking to see if they have it on them, Kiera and Tasha keep passing the money back and forth behind their back. They promise that they will have the money for him next week. Johnny Swinger approaches and tries to hit on them asking if they want the “two for one special”. Kiera and Tasha insult Swinger and walk off.

TJP Challenges Brian Myers

Crazzy Steve is with TJP and is upset following his loss to Rohit Raju via cheating. Brian Myers comes in and starts to insult both of them. TJP stands up for Crazzy Steve and challenges Myers to a match.

Next Week

Cody Deaner vs Eric Young
Brian Myers vs TJP
Josh Alexander vs Chris Sabin
Deonna Purrazzo & Kimber Lee vs Rosemary & Taya Valkyrie

Chris Bey vs Willie Mack

Willie Mack starts the match by inviting Chris Bey to a Test Of Strength. Bey teases that he is going to lock up but Slaps Mack instead. Mack responds by Slapping Bey back and knocking him to the mat. Bey starts running the ropes but Mack catches him with a big Lou Thesz Press. Bey manages to make a comeback after Dropkicking Mack to the knee, which Bey continues to target. Every time Mack tries to make some sort of comeback, Bey attacks the knee again. Bey applies a Single Leg Boston Crab but Mack is able to break free. Mack hits a big Clothesline to Bey but before he can capitalize, gets Dropkicked to the knee again. Mack is able to hit a Scoop Slam and follows up with a Jumping Knee to the head (which didn’t seem like a good idea). Mack goes for the Stunner but Bey counters to a Jackknife Cover followed by Code Red for a near fall. Mack catches a Boot from Bey, flips him over, and hits the Stunner to pick up the win.

Willie Mack defeats Chris Bey via Pinfall in 9 mins 39 secs

After the match, Moose hits a Spear to Willie Mack but before he continues the beatdown, Rich Swann runs out for the save. As Swann’s back is turned Chris Bey hits him with The Art of Finesse. The show ends with Chris Bey standing above Rich Swann whilst holding up the IMPACT Championship.

Davie’s thoughts: These two have fought a few times over the past few months and unfortunately, I thought this was their weakest match. Chris Bey dominated the entire match only to be beaten by one Stunner at the end. I like that finishers are protected, especially something as iconic as the Stunner, however, the match felt far too one-sided for too long. With Mack eventually going over I think he should have got some more in during the body of the match. Also, the Knee drop after he’s been selling his knee for six minutes just seemed silly. The post-match angle seemed even more puzzling as I don’t understand why you would have Chris Bey lose the match if you want to position him as the next title contender.

Overall, this was a show more about in-ring action than furthering storylines and I preferred it for it. None of the matches this week were bad and I felt the likes of XXXL and Crazzy Steve really upped their game. I wouldn’t say there was any match that you must go out of your way to see but it was still an enjoyable two hours of in-ring action with my match of the night being Motor City Machine Guns vs XXXL. Karl Anderson vs Ethan Page intrigues me as I’m looking forward to seeing Anderson in singles action once again and really want to see how Page works as a singles competitor on a bigger stage. The Eric Young segment was the lowest point of the show due to being repetitive and directionless. In conclusion, I felt this episode was the perfect balance of in-ring action and backstage segments and I hope they keep this formula moving forwards.

6.5 Zombie Bridesmaids Out Of 10