Jey Uso believes WrestleMania 40 match 'let people down'

Originally published at Jey Uso believes WrestleMania 40 match 'let people down'

Jey Uso doesn’t believe that his Wrestlemania 40 match with brother Jimmy Uso lived up to the expectations.

In a recent interview with Gorilla Position, Uso mentioned that his brother versus brother match in Philadelphia earlier this month didn’t work out the way he had hoped.

Acknowledging that the bout didn’t tap into emotion as much as they wanted and also claiming that the performance had to be shortened due to other matches going long, Uso said that he felt they “let people down.”

“I wanted to go out there and have a straight up banger, too,” Uso said in the interview. “I wanted to do the wrestling part, but let alone make sure the emotion part is there [as well]. It was just a time issue, uce. You know what I’m saying? You just got to play your position on the team. That’s what happened.”

Uso clarified that he was told another match went over their scheduled time, forcing their bout to last shorter than expected. Despite the match not delivering, Uso still believes there were big positives to take away from such a moment with his brother.

“I’m still happy though, uce,” he said. “I got a singles match on Wrestlemania with my brother, that’s the big picture. So I’m going to always have me and him in the faceoff at Wrestlemania. I’m going to frame a picture. It’s marked off our box. I just wish we could have went ham the way I know we can.”

Uso went a total of 11 minutes against Jimmy, earning the win in the end. With the high-profile match in the rearview mirror, he now has his attention set on an upcoming WWE World Heavyweight Championship match against Damian Priest. After winning a #1 contender match earlier this month, Uso will meet Priest at WWE Backlash in France.

Counterpoint: Unless the entire thing would have been drastically different, there is no scenario in which that match needed to be longer.

Yeah and that performance somehow earned him a shot for the b-title on a c-show. :clap:

Assuming Priest beats him, it’s a good use of Jey Uso. If they plan to run with Priest at all, there’s really no one else on Raw (their fault, we can litigate that later). You don’t want him beating McIntyre or Gunther, and that kind of leaves Jey as the only guy Priest can beat who you MAYBE believe they’d put the belt on.

But if you’re just saying that the match will be boring, I agree. Even though I like Priest a lot, all of Jey’s good singles matches that I can recall are with guys who could carry him.

Just not a fan of the Usos as singles at all. It hasn’t worked.

This show is a mess to me because the draft is also happening so I’m just not sure Backlash matters at all. Won’t be watching and don’t care but this is a big lull for WWE after a good start to the year.

Missed RAW this week but there was zero star power from what I read.

I mean… at least Jey has self-awareness. Dont you agree?

Not really. He wanted more time. More time would have been even worse

I’d say the match pretty well met my expectations. I guess I just wasn’t expecting much of a match from the Usos after all these years of them doing the same shit every week.

1 Like

USOs are a unique case. If you go by feedback on boards like this, you would think their singles runs have been failures. Go to an arena and watch a show in person, Jey in particular is over like fricken crazy and comes off like a star. He’s the perfect person to face Priest right now, but my concern with Priest is I’ve never seen a great Damien Priest match, so I have no faith in him and Jey to put on anything other then an ok-good match.

I didn’t hate the match at mania like some, but I didn’t love it either.