Kenny Omega on Kurt Angle: “he’s the most complete wrestler of all time”

Originally published at Kenny Omega on Kurt Angle: “he’s the most complete wrestler of all time”

Kenny Omega has heaped praise on Kurt Angle, calling him “my go-to guy to study.”

Omega was speaking during a Twitch stream on Friday night. Before getting into some gaming chat, he talked about Angle’s match with Rey Mysterio from SummerSlam 2002.

He called Mysterio “the greatest luchador of all time” but reserved his greatest praise for Angle.

Omega said:

You compare another 3.75 [star] match from Dave [Meltzer] to that, and the athleticism is on a complete other level. The psychology is on a complete other level. The amount of understanding of the characters and their motivations is on a complete other level.

And this is why, for me, I do think that Kurt Angle is the greatest — I can’t even say just in the ring. For me, he’s the most complete wrestler of all time.

He’s my favorite. He’s my go-to guy to study for me. Being an athletic guy that wants to be able to mesh well and complement every wrestling style.

I’m also, of course — anyone who’s familiar with me here in the chat — I’m not afraid to embarrass myself or do silly things, and that’s what I loved a lot about what Kurt did on TV.

On Saturday, Angle responded with a social media post:

Much respect Kenny. Hope to meet you one day!! #itstrue https://t.co/BQHlc7P6do

— Kurt Angle (@RealKurtAngle) March 23, 2024

1 Like

…yet 0 5 star matches. Less than Luchasourous!

Wasn’t HBK vs Angle at WM 21 five stars?

No, it was 4 1/2

1 Like

Welp thats what happens when wrestlemania is in Hollywood and not the tokyo dome

Even Meltzer himself knows that his star ratings are a joke. He openly mocks people who “take them too seriously” on Twitter. But they are a good gimmick to keep him relevant.

2 Likes

F’n Dave. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Lol! Looked five-star to me, but like, who cares? Lol!

Well when Angle was at his peak, 2000-2010 let’s say (around number) Meltzer only gave out 8 five star matches for the whole decade! He’s done that much this year lol

1 Like

Dave every week on SNME says that people take it too seriously. Sometimes we need better things in life to prioritize.

1 Like

We can all have our own star ratings, HBK vs Angle is a 5 star match to me.

3 Likes

Agreed, to me Angle had a number of 5 star matches in TNA as well, everyone should have their own picks anyways

1 Like

I like Dave a lot - I’ve talked to him and he’s a super nice person who means well.

However he brings this on himself a little. He engages in a bit of a vile manner on Twitter and the CVV interview basically owned him.

He has a bit of a double standard.

He says that matches are about the crowd getting over - yet he rates Rock vs Hogan poorly when no match has ever been that over.

He says he prefers Japan style bc they “twist” you whatever that means when every Okada match is the same Rainmaker and wrist contro ending.

He won’t attend Wrestlemania or RAW in person bc it would be too much work to rewatch everything again but he has no issues flying to see a long Wrestlekingdom or AEW show.

He says Kurt Angle has many 4 star matches and that’s what matters - but then hands out 5 stars to clearly inferior matches to Angle vs Michaels.

He talks about texting TK ideas and issues when a show goes off air or something - sort of hard to be objective when the WWE won’t give you the time of day

Anyway - agreed. Angle vs Michaels is my fav match of all time

Well I think this is all objective, some of your points I agree with and some I don’t. But there’s been times when I thought a match was 5 stars and he thought it was 3.5, but clearly he loves certain promotions and not others (I get the idea no matter what TNA puts on, he’s not giving it 5 stars unless it’s someone parachuting in he loves) so I don’t bother to look at his, I just put my own star ratings on a match, for fun lol.

SEE! That’s the “twist” he was talking about. It’s all in the wrist! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes