Literature Heroes

Which are your favourite literature writers, as in what are your literature heroes?

I’ll start

• George Orwell: Nineteen Eighty Four hands down! Nobody does it better than he does when it comes to depressing literature.
  • William Shakespeare: Macbeth, Hamlet, Julius Caesar, and King Lear. He’s not a book writer, but he writes plays. Same thing. I’ve only been reading his stuff with tragedies, so please vouch for his comedies if you’ve any of those
  • Richard Adams( Watership Down. book led to animated remakes of his works and more!

I’ve yet to read John Grisham’s books, Mick Foley (Tietam Brown and his autobiographies), and Will Self.

Again, whose author do you like to read from (please specify examples as I have)?

1 Like

I love this thread. Thank you.

I agree with Orwell and the Bard.

I’m a huge fan of Stephen King.

I like Michael Chabon’s Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Yann Martel’s Life of Pi.

Jose Saramago. You’ve been warned.

My tops would be

Robert Heinlein - wrote Stranger in a Strange Land, Job: a comedy of Justice, Starship Troopers

And
Morgan Llewelyn wrote Druid, Bard. Lots of Irish Mythology

1 Like

How does “Brave New World” compare with “Nineteen Eighty Four?”

And yes, I forgot Mark Haddon for “The Curious incident of the Dog in the Night Time?” Donated that book to the library, now regretting it.

Brave New World is more about selective breeding, genetics and controlling people through prescription drugs.
1984 is more about politics and mind control through propaganda.
Both have depressing/realist endings.

2 Likes

I’m more an Orwell fan but I have a background in poly sci.

1984 is more political satire while Brave New World is more sociological. Its a pick your poison choice.

Big fan of no country for old men and the road by Cormac McCarthy.

1 Like

Just so everyone knows. Faultyrob is a legitimate literary genius in his day job. People bow to him, I’ve seen it.

2 Likes

I’m a big reader of comic books/graphic novels. I could make a huge list of terrific and influential writers and artists that helped evolve the medium. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Jim Shooter, Steve Ditko, John Ramita, George Perez, John Byrne, Neal Adams, Frank Miller, Neal Adams, Dave Gibbons and many more.

And while I’ve read many great stories by these creators, most of them were before my time. Whereas some of my favorite writers/artists that have kept me going back to the comic book store for 20+ years are:

Mark Waid
Alex Ross
Chris Samnee
Geoff Johns
Ivan Reis
Jason Fabok
Francis Manapul
Brian Michael Bendis
Oliver Coipel
Grant Morrison
Howard Porter
Jason Aaron
Esad Ribic
Scott Snyder
Greg Capullo
Brian K Vaughn
Dan Jurgens
Jorge Jimenez
Mark Millar
Brian Hitch

I’ve had the opportunity to meet a few of these creators at comic cons as well and they were all wonderful people.

1 Like