NJPW cancels all events from March 1-15 due to Coronavirus outbreak

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/02/26/njpw-cancels-all-events-from-march-1-15-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak/

New Japan Pro-Wrestling made the announcement on their official website that their scheduled events from March 1st through March 15th have been cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. It is noted in the article that on February 26th, after a recommendation from the Japanese Ministry Of Health, New Japan came to the aforementioned decision. Ticket holders will be refunded and information and updates will be posted on the company’s social media channels.

Here are the list of events that are affected via this announcement:

Anniversary Tour

Sunday March 1: Mito Municipal Gymnasium, Ibaraki

Monday March 2: Big Palette Fukushima

Anniversary Event

Tuesday March 3: Ota City Gymnasium, Tokyo

New Japan Cup

Wednesday March 4: Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

Saturday March 7: Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

Sunday March 8: Baycom Gymnasium, Hyogo

Monday March 9: Kochi Prefectural Gymnasium

Tuesday March 10: ZIP Arena Okayama

Thursday March 12: Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

Friday March 13: Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

Saturday March 14: Makuhari Messe, Chiba

The Anniversary tour leads to the Anniversary show on March 3rd which was set to be headlined by IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi taking on IWGP Intercontinental and Heavyweight Champion Tetsuya Naito in a non-title match. The first eight nights of the New Japan Cup tournament have also been cancelled as a result of the Coronavirus outbreak.

The brackets and competitors slated for the New Japan Cup can be found at this link and the winner of the tournament regularly moves on to the Sakura Genesis event (March 31) to challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

Really sorry to hear this, but completely understandable. For the benefit of the wrestlers flying into Japan, I’m glad they announced this well ahead of the tour starting.

Also, when the virus first started making the rounds, the English announce team (mainly Kevin Kelly and Gino Gambino) were making jokes about “Steve Corinovirus.” I didn’t like those jokes then, and I hate them even more now.

Karma is real. For Kevin, it’s his DESTIIIIIIINOOOOO.

I need to stock up on canned products

This might be something to pay attention to for WWE leaving