NXT Call Ups

I don’t think that’s on NXT though. It would be like if the Leafs called up a goalie from the Marlies, then played him at centre and he sucked. Is that the fault of the Marlies? Or the leafs?

NXT is serving up guys who are ready to go, they can’t control how Vince uses them.

I mean that argument doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. About 1 in 10 players in AAA baseball make it to the Majors. A far greater percentage move up from NXT, then if we are looking at how many become starters or all stars the number would be even lower.

The problem seems to be that WWE is largely committed to ensuring they have no huge stars.

But isn’t it on the farm system to give the team what they need/want? If you work in a Vince-centric company, you should produce a Vince-centric show. Why does NXT put that much effort into the rag team division, for example? They all just got turned into comedy acts or split up.

1 Like

Technically I can’t say you are wrong, though selfishly the last thing I want is a third main roster show and I am so thankful that NXT is different. With that said, lets not forget, NXT is its own brand as it does air on USA. Its not just a feeder system like it once was.

To answer your question, my guess is that Triple H is setting NXT up for what he wants it to be long term.

My big thing and worry with NXT is that it’s being used to hoard talent and that hurts the wrestling business as a whole.

The actual NXT product is good but far too often I think people get signed not to make them into stars but to prevent them from being stars elsewhere.

At the end of the day it’s obviously each wrestlers prerogative but I hope the way WWE treated it’s talent during the pandemic makes some guys realize how disposable they are to WWE. And how in the long run it’s probably better to go somewhere where your potential can be realized instead of collecting a big cheque

2 Likes

I look at so many people in NXT that I feel would most certainly be booked into the ground. Anyone else get that feeling?

Depends who. Just to name a few:

Gargano and Ciampa 100% I think that is true, however a guy like Keith Lee I can see becoming “the guy” when he gets called up and getting a mega push. I worry about Adam Cole due to his size, IMO he’s the best in the business right now and I do worry that VInce wouldn’t know what to do with him. A guy like Riddle I can’t see being pushed as anything more than RVD light. Rhea Ripley on the otherhand I can see doing very well. Its really all over the place.

Yeah their success rate with women seems from NXT seems a lot better than with men. I think there are a number of factors contributing to that such as a smaller roster and less emphasis on size. I do worry about anyone close to the 205 live size when they move up. The undercard titles are so devalued that those guys don’t really have a place when guys like Brock or Braun are you champions. If you had built up the cruiserweight division, or the IC/US titles you could tell stories about the dominant smaller guy who gets a shot at the top guy. Like NJPW does with the JR division vs the heavyweights. But in WWE we’ve been conditioned not to care about those belts because anyone who is any good doesn’t care about those belts. There are too many titles and most of them don’t matter.

Keith Lee needs a little work on his promos in my opinion.