NXT narrows the gap with AEW, edges out Dynamite in 18-34 demo

I just said challenge for the title. I agree that those guys arent built up enough to win the title, outside of Moxley & Hangman. Thats also why I said they could challenge on Dynamite, because I dont think you could ever do a Omega vs Matt or Nick Jackson at a PPV, but I think it would be very interesting as a main event on an episode of Dynamite.

The more I’m thinking about it, I think a lack of PPVs could be a potential issue here too. Ideally, fewer PPVs isnt bad, because you get a long term story and that is good. At the same time, I think it can also hold back some performers from moving up the card. I like the fact that we dont get a lot of rematches and tag matches involving the same guys and the usual WWE type stories, but they can really afford to do it a little more often.

1 Like

You certainly could do Nick or Matt vs Kenny on Dynamite but I also feel like that is a better match without the title than it is with the title.because the title telegraphs the outcome. I also think Hangman isn’t built up enough right now to challenge Kenny. It wouldn’t take a lot to get him there but if he was challenging next week it would feel off and I wouldn’t buy him winning.

I agree, it does telegraph the outcome, but I think it could be an interesting story getting there. If Kenny were to get into one of their heads, that they’d be better as a singles performer.

I’ve said it before, I am pretty certain they’re going to save a Hangman title challenge until they’re back in front of arenas. That’s the big title change that needs a crowd reaction.

I’m assuming we will get a better picture of Omega’s next challenger, once they get through the Swann match.

I’m also guessing we will have a TV special / faux PPV on the 14th or 21st. And that may be the direction for the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

Yeah I have no issue with holding off on Hangman. I just wish it felt like there were other credible baby faces they could build feuds with in between.

1 Like

Definitely true.

If Darby wasn’t TNT Champion, I’d think him vs Kenny would be great.

I’m guessing we will get Christian challenging at some point, even if just to get through that match. Feels like a TV main event.

I’m going to assume Kingston, and PAC also get shots at some point in the nearish future.

There could also be an attempt to get through Mania season before really pushing something hard for the future.

Yeah, they could also build up Brian Cage if he splits from team Taz, but that seems like it would take a bit of time as well. Same with Face Inner circle.

1 Like

I do think the obviousness of the main event picture is a problem for this company week to week. It’s almost like the second they signed Moxley, you knew the exact progression this title would take for the next 3-4 years:

Jericho → Moxley → Omega → Hangman → MJF → Cody.

Can you really make the case that anyone enters this picture? I think my list is one, and I don’t really feel amazing about it: PAC (especially after they aborted any sort of storyline with Wardlow leaving MJF’s side). It’s fine and all to have this planned out that far in advance, but if everyone can see it too, then you’re basically hoping a bunch of contenders in the middle get hot for the quarter they’re being elevated (like Kingston did), but having no rope to actually go with them in full (or even for a short reign). And that creates a massive amount of shows in between shake ups at the top where fans can tune out their interest.

I think an easy solve for this is actually letting Swann get a fluke win (whether some type of roll up or whoever Impact’s next big pushed star is helps). Losing to another champion isn’t going to do anything to Omega and in return you get a pretty significant rematch on AEW that should pop a number that you can also attach a storyline to (if Omega loses he has to go to Impact for a year…or whatever) and it also helps you put a bow on the first chapter of the inter-promotion story that hasn’t had a ton of narrative focus. That’ll do wonders for fans thinking there might be detours in the overall story they’re telling with their champions and not be forecasting their plans as much as it seems.

1 Like

I agree that there is a lot of obviousness to the main event picture. With the exception of Jericho though(and he hasnt worn out his matches either) there is still a ton of fresh matches between that list, 2 years in. I think that has to be commended with how much repeat booking we’ve gotten over the last 25 years.

There is absolutely no way Rich Swann should have a sniff of the AEW title. Maybe if he is lucky, he can have a fluke win in a 6 man tag, but the only reason Rich Swann is the world champion in a company, is because it is Impact. He does not belong as the top champion in AEW or WWE. I like Rich Swann too. I think he’s been great since leaving WWE and I’m glad he’s gotten to show himself, but there is only 2 guys who should have a shot at beating Omega, Moose or Ace Austin. Ace Austin isnt there yet though, but he could be a big star in my opinion. Right now Moose is the guy that should eventually beat Omega.

1 Like

I think Wardlow gets slotted in there somewhere. He’s going to be the Luger/Horsemen role of the Pinnacle or Batista in Evolution and be built into a monster face.

I can also see Jungle Boy getting in the title picture eventually, feels like they have big plans for him.

3 Likes

I’m fine with this not being my best idea ever, but it does bring up another issue with AEW’s priorities, in that, if you want us to care about the ooooo forbidden door and crossovers with other companies, but are unwilling to take their champion seriously and also do nothing to harm your company (in storyline), then why exactly should I, Casual E. Fan, get invested in any of this? Why should I care if their women’s champion comes over for a story later on? You’ve already told me I should just forever see NXT run offs as far below your own people.

On a smaller end: Imagine if they hadn’t taken any of the NWA women seriously in a similar way? The name NWA means something, but this current version and roster is just as filled with also-rans and unknown indy wrestlers as Impact. But they made Rosa and Deeb seem important and the women’s division finally got the spark they had been missing for the entire start of the company. The worst thing that happens with giving Swann that rub is Tony Khan has to spend a bit more money on getting him down the line (and oh yeah, this was the guy who beat Kenny Omega, which, down the line, sets him apart from an enormous AEW midcard of similar wrestlers). The worst thing about doing nothing is your top guy having the appearance of slumming it in a minor, unserious company for a long period of time, fighting over a meaningless belt, later to be threatened by a guy who was beaten in a unification match by the guy you got the meaningless belt from.

I think @Breng77 said it best before - belt collecting is a cool idea, but if it isn’t making your show better or appealing only to niche fans, is it the best use of your limited time?

1 Like

I think you messed up protagonists and antagonists something fierce

Well, thing is, AEW are running on a budget and you should consider this when talking about spending money against the competition. Until they start spending over this budget, you can’t give such an example.

1 Like

You’re missing the context, I never said anything about how much AEW spends or doesn’t spend. My point is that I dont see the Khans as “the little guy”. Just like the McMahons they are a part of the worlds 1%, they are both billionaires, and the Khans have a lot more money than the McMahons. Vince has a net worth of 2.1 Billion, Shahid Khan as a net worth of 8 Billion (according to Google).

Weather the Khans choose to spend more money is up to them, but they are not the “underdog” or “the little engine that could” as they are funded by one of the richest men in the world. And to be clear, I’m not saying this as a criticism, I just look at this as two billionaires facing off opposed to a billionaire vs a start up.

1 Like

They are still the underdog in my opinion because money == to success. They are working to overcome years of inertia where WWE is wrestling in the US to most people. Now they are less of an underdog because they play on a similar field money wise.

3 Likes

I agree with this, they are underdogs because they are lesser known, 100% agree.

My original comment however was specifically in response to wwe being called a billion dollar company…in terms of finances, this isn’t a billionaire company vs someone scrapping by, it’s billionaire vs billionaire.

It’s basically comparing the 2021 Yankees and the Padres. Is the difference a wide disparity of wealth or expenses? No. It’s the length of time and experience each have at this top level that makes the latter an underdog.

2 Likes

Agreed…honestly, this wasn’t even a major point.

@MarkP made a statement and I agreed with 99% of it, but there was one small thing that I didn’t completely agree on and now I feel that little insignificant small thing is turning into the focal point lol.

2 Likes

Or it’s comparing Aston Villa and say, Fulham. Both of them have the foundation and backing to be successful big league clubs, but the latter has found some major road bumps after celebrating initial lower level success that could ultimately set them back a while.

Just getting us back on track. :grinning:

1 Like

It doesn’t matter what the context was, the reality is THEY ARE ON A BUDGET. Perhaps, maybe, if something extreme happens, this can change, but until this thing happens - they are on a budget, no matter who owns them (see ROH). That’s it. For a fact: they now have a bigger budget than when they first started their TV show, because of the new contract with TNT they’ve signed. Thing is, this is connected with how the company grows and not how a billionaire is pouring money into it (see TNA).

Never said they weren’t on a budget, I’m not sure what we’re arguing here.