NXT to air live on Wednesday nights in Canada, beginning this week

Originally published at NXT to air live on Wednesday nights in Canada, beginning this week

WWE and Rogers Sportsnet in Canada has announced an expanded agreement that will see NXT air live on Wednesday nights.

Beginning this week, NXT will air live from 8-10 pm ET on Sportsnet 360, the same network that carries WWE Raw, Friday Night SmackDown, and WWE Main Event.

Prior to this news, NXT aired in a one-hour timeslot on Friday nights on Sportsnet 360 as a lead-in for Friday Night SmackDown.

WWE and Rogers Sportsnet entered into a ten-year agreement in 2014 that saw Sportsnet become the exclusive distributor of WWE programming in Canada, including the WWE Network, which airs as its own linear channel in the country.

NXT will go head-to-head with AEW Dynamite in Canada, which airs at the same time on TSN 2 each Wednesday night.

1 Like

Great news. I have literally fallen off of nxt since the network stream has been a week behind. I don’t like the truncated hour show on Fridays.

Good news for us Canucks who NXT on our TV sets!

Yeah this is long overdue. Nice for Canadians to finally have this available more readily

1 Like

My DVR will be working overtime Wednesday nights but I won’t mind it at all. Very excited for this.

1 Like

Finally! What they were doing up to this point in Canada has been incredibly annoying. I’m actually quite curious to see how the Wednesday night Wars play out in Canada.

Don’t know the dynamics of the amount of homes each of these networks are in in Canada, but I can’t imagine with routines set that NXT is going to have much of a shot here. I do wonder if going through the trouble of getting on Wednesdays in Canada this late in the game means WWE knows NXT isn’t moving time slots in the US at this point since unless it were moving to Tuesdays, they wouldn’t under any situation air NXT on delay in the US. Also wouldn’t make sense to make this play if Canada was going to wind up behind yet again, I’d imagine.

I think moving NXT to Fridays and showing only a one hour version of the show for a year and a half killed a ton of interest, but Canada is really WWE territory.

I also wouldn’t read anything into any sort of time slot change, this move means very little. Apparently it was Rogers idea to do the Friday thing and WWE wanted to run the show like it had been in the US. Rogers also distributes the Network out here so they have a lot of say. So this whole decision appears to be their call

Once I heard this news I jumped up and down a few times not gonna lie lol. Been waiting for this day since NXT started on USA Network. Just so damn awesome.

1 Like