Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/01/07/post-wrestlings-best-of-2021-show/
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
POST Wrestling’s John Pollock & Wai Ting and upNXT’s Braden Herrington & Davie Portman discuss the many highlights of the past year in our Best of 2021 Show.
Watch video of this podcast on POST’s YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/WwGm8px3Wfw
This year’s categories:
BIGGEST STORY OF 2021
MATCH OF THE YEAR
BEST WRESTLER (Male)
BEST WRESTLER (Female)
BEST TAG TEAM
BEST ON THE MIC
MOST IMPROVED PERFORMER
BEST SERIES (In-Ring)
BEST NON-WRESTLING MEDIA
Photos Courtesy: Stardom / AEW
upNXT Patreon: http://patreon.com/upNXT
POST Wrestling Patreon: http://postwrestlingcafe.com
Here are my picks as follows:
1. BIGGEST STORY OF 2021 - CM Punk debut on AEW Rampage (Biased since I was there LIVE)
2. MATCH OF THE YEAR - Bryan Danielson vs Kenny Omega – AEW Grand Slam – 9/22/21
3. BEST WRESTLER (Male) - Bryan Danielson
4. BEST WRESTLER (Female) - Thunder Rosa
5. BEST TAG TEAM - FTR
6. BEST PROMOTION - AEW (with an honorable mention to GCW)
7. BEST FEUD - The Inner Circle vs The Pinnacle
8. BEST EVENT - AEW All Out
9. BEST ON THE MIC- MJF
10. BEST GIMMICK - Danhausen
11. BEST BROADCASTER - Chris Charlton
12. MOST IMPROVED PERFORMER - Cora Jade
13. BEST SERIES (In-Ring) - AEW Dynamite (Honorable Mention to NXT UK)
14. BEST NON-WRESTLING MEDIA - WWE Biography on A&E
I kept track of my favorite matches last year, and despite Bryan Danielson’s late surge and 4+ hours of match time in AEW since September, Shingo Takagi popped up on my list more, so I will side with John on this one and vote Shingo as Best Male Wrestler.
Thunder Rosa is my pick for Best Female Wrestler as well.
My pick for Match of Year may have to be Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii from the first night of the G1 Climax.
I can’t say how much Japanese wrestling will influence me in '22, as I dropped my NJPW World subscription in December. Too many late nights and early mornings, too much to watch after the fact, too many shitty undercards.
Finally, I’ll throw in a pick for Best Non-Wrestling Media: the articles on the Player’s Tribune. Danielson thanking WWE as he starts in AEW, Eddie Kingston taking us on his journey, and especially Amanda Huber and her relationship with Brodie Lee, the end of which made me cry.