Report: Mercedes Martinez Signs With WWE

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/01/08/report-mercedes-martinez-signs-with-wwe/

After two appearances in WWE’s Mae Young Classic tournaments and several appearances on WWE programming, Mercedes Martinez has signed with WWE, per a report from SoCal Uncensored. Sources confirmed to the site that Martinez signed a contract with the sports-entertainment company and is expected to report to the Performance Center in Orlando, Florida this month.

For the last number of months in 2019, Mercedes Martinez had been working with All Elite Wrestling as she appeared at ‘All Out’ and had several matches on AEW Dark which airs on the All Elite Wrestling YouTube channel. On a few episodes of AEW Dark, Martinez teamed with Big Swole who is now signed to AEW.

During an interview with Mirror Sport in 2019, Mercedes Martinez expressed her desire to work with WWE and said that she and the company have been in contact but a contract was never offered. She said her goal was to be a part of WWE in some form or fashion, whether it’d be wrestling or coaching at the Performance Center.

“I think anyone’s goal – my goal – is to be part of WWE in some way. Whether it’s performing, and maybe at this point in my life and in my career, maybe to do something with coaching, helping the new batch of girls get on TV and with their training. Whether that happens or not, I’m not sure. I mean, me and WWE are always in contact, but there is no contract, and I want to let everyone know that. In terms of where my career can go, I’m still doing the independents, I’m still going overseas but in the back of my head, there’s always the chance of being in WWE in one shape or form. Whether it’s helping the girls out now and helping them get to that next level, who knows?”

SoCal Uncensored noted that Martinez is the current AWS Champion and the AWS promoter said that with Martinez’s signing, he’s considering a tournament to crown a new champion. Last month, Martinez dropped the SHINE Championship to Ivelisse after capturing the title just one day prior.