REPORT: WWE informs talent to stop using "outside third parties"

This actually makes some sense from WWE’s perspective. Not saying “right” or “wrong”, but strictly talking business, it does hurt WWE’s ability to negotiate with Cameo or Twitch or whatever if a bunch of their talent is already on it.

And again, it all comes back to the battle between “what an independent contractor should be” vs. “if talent signs a contract that sucks for them, tough shit.”

More proof that Vince is completely out of touch. He does know there is true competition now if talent want to leave.

1 Like

Big Gun Dave today hinted/suggested that WWE might be developing something by themselves thus this action was taken. Still in 2020 to try to forbid your “independent contractors”/talent/workers to use platforms like YouTube to sorta promote themselves AND YOUR BRAND is beyond stupid. I’ve heard how comfortable Vince is in his bubble, but dude, it’s not the 80’s anymore, you can’t have the control over your talent like it was then. It’s absolutely different world out there and you just can’t hide from it or even grow in said bubble.

Everybody will only allowed their exclusive channels on Tout 2.0.

1 Like

You get what you can negotiate. If you have leverage then you use it. This isn’t anything new or even anything that I’d say is wrong.

Agreeing to terms and then wondering “why can’t I do things I agreed not to do” would make these wrestlers look dumb. So far I don’t think any of them have said that though.

The business argument for this is interesting. I’ll leave it at that. on BOTH sides.

It would seem ultimately detrimental as WWE lacks a cool factor some of these other delivery platforms do. It seems to be cutting off the nose to spite the face.

1 Like

Empathy Level Zero. Those people in sweatshops also get what they negotiate. Their fault right?

1 Like

For the record, I dont like this either and I understand the point you are trying to make, but not even close to the same thing.

Some of these wrestlers are making millions per year, or at least 6 figures. To compare them to people in sweatshops who have no other options is disrespectful to those who work in sweatshops.

Exactly. WWE struggles to build a younger audience and now they are planning to cut a major entry point to that market.

Just incredibly stupid but not surprising, Vince McMahon’s brain is rotting.

1 Like

How does Vince thinks that he owns the real names of the wrestlers HOW?

1 Like

I guess its always been that way

A business doesn’t get to just pick and choose to classify someone as an independent contractor. There are labor laws that determine a worker’s status. In the US, the way workers are classified basically comes down to:

Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories:

1. Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?
  2. Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.)
  3. Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business?"
3 Likes

Just because someone signs a contract doesn’t mean every clause and term is legal in it. The presence of a signature doesn’t negate a person’s rights.

2 Likes

Moronic comparison. These people aren’t working in a sweatshop. They’re being asked not to have a twitch/YouTube/whatever account. Hardly the same thing.

You can say that it’s WWE micromanaging but pretending like their human rights are being violated is you showing a complete lack of perspective. Grow up.

Agreed. Did you get the impression from my post that I had a different perspective?
I was listing what I believed to be the WWE’s motivations, not defending it.

Your statement “I’m guessing in the States there are similar benefits to classifying them as Independent contractors.” reads to me to imply a business has a choice in classifying a worker regardless of the role and duties of the worker.

WWE does have a choice, as do all wrestling promotions in the US. If they actually treated the wrestlers like independent contractors there would be no problem here. Law isnt as simple as posting a couple paragraphs. In the US unfortunately when you have good lawyers, you can get away with a lot.

Hiring someone as an independent contractor is not an immoral thing, I have personally been hired as an employee and I have been hired as an independent contractor. Both have their pros and cons. The issue with WWE is they hire these performers as independent contractor to reap all the benefits, but they strip the performers of the benefits they should be receiving. For whatever reason government let’s them get away with it.

Granted I live in Canada so I’m sure there are differences, but every instance I have had being an independent contractor, there have been very specific benefits that I received. I didn’t get any literal benefits or vacation pay, however that was made up in a higher general pay (granted here we have universal health care so that wasnt an issue like it is in the US). I had control over my schedule, meaning I had the ability to come and go as I pleased, as long as I got the job done in the time we agreed upon, and I had full control over how I did the job, as long as the end result was what we agreed upon.

Problem with WWE is that they control their independent contractors more then most companies control their employees. From this new issue, to forcing them to dress a certain way when flying, to stopping them in doing outside projects that have nothing to do with wrestling etc. I’m shocked they get away with it, but they do, and they have for decades.

Didnt a few older wrestlers fight this a couple years ago and loose? I seem to remember something involving Raven? I cant remember the specifics.

1 Like

The US government let’s them get away with it because it’s the US of A baby. The land of disingenuous freedom.

Wwe talent will do nothing

Democratic Yang will do nothing

Vince will get his way

Yeah that’s probably true. Like CM Punk said, they can’t fire everyone. If all talent refused to listen to this edict there is nothing WWE could do. It’s really up to them.

1 Like