Rewind-A-Dynamite 8/12/20: “Orange Cassidy and the Sunkist Jacket”

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/08/13/rewind-a-dynamite-8-12-20-orange-cassidy-and-the-sunkist-jacket-tag-team-appreciation/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock and Wai Ting review Tag Team Appreciation Night on AEW Dynamite featuring Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy II. Plus, an update from the NXT tapings, Raw ratings, and Paige VanZant signs with BKFC.

NEWS OF THE DAY

• Scary moment at the NXT tapings
  • WWE Raw ratings from Monday night, how last week’s AEW ratings compared
  • Participants in the G1 Climax blocks to be kept on separate shows
  • NWA partners with United Wrestling Network for weekly pay-per-views starting next month
  • Ion Cutelaba off UFC 252 card due to COVID-19
  • Paige VanZant signs with Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship

Dynamite was built around the rematch between Chris Jericho and Orange Cassidy and the AEW debut of Mike Chioda. Plus, Tag Team Appreciation Night feat. The Rock ‘N Roll Express with Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard, Kenny Omega & Hangman Page defend the AEW tag titles against Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy, Cody vs. Scorpio Sky for the TNT title, The Young Bucks vs. Evil Uno & Stu Grayson, and Jon Moxley attacks MJF.

Plus your feedback, comments, questions from the POST Wrestling Forum, and our weekly Patreon T-Shirt Giveaway.

We’ve just begun our latest POST MOVIE REVIEW series with our ROCKY 1 review. Go the distance with us by becoming a patron today! https://postwrestlingcafe.com

Photo Courtesy: AEW

Rewind-A-Dynamite Theme by Jacob Chesnut

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

T-Shirts & Hats: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

I’ve got to be honest, I didn’t watch any AEW tonight. But I heard they had people in attendance and I saw posts of those caution signs around the arena…and I’m just done for now.

The Jericho thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend. It was irresponsible when you have a commitment to AEW for a heavily promoted match on Wednesday and you’re out partying with bikers. By the time today rolled around, it wasn’t an adequate amount of time to get a reliable test result. It doesn’t matter who Chris was or wasn’t exposed to last weekend - it was tone deaf of him to not think of his coworkers, and it was irresponsible of Tony Khan to allow him in Jacksonville. If I shared a locker room with Chris, I’d be livid.

The fans in AEW tonight were a bit of a straw that broke the camel’s back for my frustration. And if it wasn’t tonight, it’d be at Summerslam where I’m sure there’ll be a crowd of some kind. I really thought AEW was better than this. I don’t care if it was 10 people spaced apart across the stadium - it’s wrong, it’s irresponsible, and most importantly it’s a terrible message to put out onto national TV.

It screams “things are starting to look up!” “things are better now!” “We’re getting through this!” Newsflash. We aren’t. We are not even halfway through this pandemic. The United States has been a dumpster fire - especially in Florida. Frankly, this year has all but shattered any hope I had. It’s been an unmitigated nightmare. And we cannot be normalizing attendance of ANY kind for the foreseeable future. And again, it didn’t matter if these people were friends and family or general admission, AEW is now setting a dangerous precedent.

Initially, I thought they handled it so well with so much testing early on and how firm they seemed to be about it in interviews. Now, after having the audacity to call your competitor a “sloppy shop,” you’ve decided to bring in fans first? And what are those stupid warning signs posted throughout? Like that makes any difference. This just infuriated me. Beyond just wrestling, it shows the state of the US. Denial, stubbornness, greedy, total lack of regard for human. It just really saddened me to hear about it from this company.

Anyway, I’ve come to notice increasing my conversation about pro wrestling makes me angry and upset. In prior posts I’ve discussed why I wanted to give it a chance again and my relationship with it these days, and I just need a break once again. This isn’t for me, and the business practice of these companies is just so abhorrent. I’m sure the show itself was fun and of quality. And for people who have and do enjoy it, I’m super happy for you. But, I’m out for now. Don’t want to continue to blow up the feed with this kind of negative energy. Be well! Wear a mask!

MJF has some great material for next week when he can berate his female assistant for not knowing Jon Moxley was in the building last week. He could even play her the comment from JR saying he was here just before MJF came out. Turn your storyline mistakes into the angle.

I think that both AEW and WWE are considering selling tickets to shows soon and this could have been AEW’s way of practicing of their procedures regarding having fans in the building.

Can’t keep having no fan shows forever unfortunately

I just noticed the title for the show, excellent work John.

1 Like

You guys didn’t like the Lance Archer thing? I thought that was the coolest thing he’s done since his debut. Jake is no longer his manager/mentor. Jake is now subservient and seemingly in some sort of abusive relationship with Lance. I’m sure there’s some around here who feel that is immoral or offensive or something, but personally I think it’s a lot more interesting than just keeping Lance as Jake’s hired gun.

That Mouse Trap move looks like a botched russian leg sweep.

Yeah, maybe i’m wrong, but i think a lot of people have missed this. It’s been subtle, but Jake/Lance have gradually been doing a servant becomes the master/untamed beast angle. A while ago when Lance went nuts and attacked members of the crowd Jake was in the background looking scared and shocked at what he was was doing.

This promo was Lance purposely humiliating Jake by using his body to send a message. Literal objectification. I read it this way which is why, while maybe a bit silly, i thought it made complete sense.

By the way, the fact this type of thing isn’t clear and obvious is one of the excellent things about AEW.

1 Like