Rewind-A-SmackDown 2/14/20: Heavy Hearted Machinery

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/02/15/rewind-a-smackdown-2-14-20-heavy-hearted-machinery/

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – click here to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting are back to review WWE SmackDown on Valentine’s Day featuring Otis‘ date with Mandy Rose.

Friday’s edition of SmackDown took place from Vancouver, B.C with Roman Reigns and a mystery partner taking on John Morrison & The Miz in the main event. Bayley defends the SmackDown women’s title against Carmella, a satellite interview with Hulk Hogan, and a Protest Concert starring Sami Zayn and Cesaro.

NEWS OF THE DAY

• Updates for WrestleMania 36
  • The Bella Twins and Jushin Thunder Liger expected for WWE’s Hall of Fame class
  • Matt Hardy returning this Monday on Raw for a No Holds Barred match with Randy Orton
  • Double or Nothing tickets on sale
  • Cathy Kelley leaving WWE after TakeOver: Portland
  • Rev Pro’s High Stakes card from York Hall feat. Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Will Ospreay

And your Café feedback, comments & questions from the POST Wrestling Forum.

Photos Courtesy: WWE

RASD Theme by THE IDENTiTY CRiSiS: theidentitycrisis.com / youtube.com/theidc

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

T-Shirts & Hats: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED on cable companies giving you the run around. I have DirecTv now but back when I had Comcast/Xfinity I had them cancel a 2-5pm and on the same day call me at 4:45 to say someone is outside for your service

I felt like the flicker was for NXT Takeover didn’t a graphic at the bottom of the screen pop up both times

1 Like

Best WWE crowd this year ? I think so. They were hot.

You could be right. On the SportsNet feed in Canada we often hear the “swoosh” sounds of the Fox crawls, but they don’t appear.

Canadian crowds are always the best. I wish AEW understood that instead of all the crappy US towns they run

You mean those crappy US towns, where all the crowds are super hot, for every show they run? Canadian crowds are not the best. They were among the first to try and act like the “cool crowd”.

1 Like

Watch WM 18. Or first Nitro in ACC. Or watch Smackdown last night.

Toronto snd Vancouver are way better than Austin Texas or something town in Ohio or Iowa

I attended both shows. I’ve been to countless shows at Maple Leaf Gardens, Sky dome and ACC. I’ve seen how obnoxious the crowds used to be. I’ve seen how crowds at the ACC lately, are not as hot.

There is absolutely nothing to complain about with the places they have been to. Most, if not all of the Dynamite crowds have been red hot.

1 Like

Vancouver hasn’t had TV since 2003, so fans may have been a little excited. The fans were great last night but I think a lot of it had to do with lack of any big events in years.

AEW crowds have never been an issue because they have a better understanding of how to cater to a live audience.

I had friends who went last night who said it was a terrible live experience - three matches, tons of commercials, plugs and promos.

It’s not that the crowds are not hot bc it just looks a bit bad on TV. In these small towns you have a lot of an ECW crowd (ie young white guys). It looks a bit niche.

If you run a Toronto or Vancouver or MSG you will get a more diverse crowd, maybe kids and different races, broadening appeal.

When I flipping channels a friend of mine said it looks like NASCAR crowd. They immediately don’t want to watch it

What the fuck does the skin color of the crowd, make any difference at all? If your “friend” doesn’t want to watch something, because of the skin color of the crowd, here’s a little newsflash, it’s your friend that is the issue, or any other moron that thinks this shit.

I don’t like basketball, but if I ever have on a Raptors game, I don’t sit here thinking “oh I see too many colored people, I’m not watching this.”

I feel like that’s a general industry-wide concern, and not simply something that’s germane to AEW. I think that (with the exception of children) the majority of fans you see at these shows are white & male.

Unless you’re in a city with a high concentration of minority fans, the crowds are going to look pretty monochromatic.

The good news is, the audience that consumes wrestling is becoming more diverse…So i think eventually the live crowds will start to reflect that. :100:

2 Likes

It doesn’t look inviting if the crowd is homogenous and you aren’t of that background

To be honest, I don’t pay attention to the crowd; unless they do something. It is really just background noise for me. I don’t look at the general skin colour, but that would probably be a case of my whiteness (I know I’ll be represented so I don’t have to look)

2 Likes