REWIND-A-WAI #23: WWE Payback 2013

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/11/09/rewind-a-wai-23-wwe-payback-2013/

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – visit Patreon.com/POSTwrestling to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE Packback 2013 featuring CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho as Punk returns to Chicago following a two-month hiatus, and John Cena vs. Ryback in a Three Stages of Hell match for the WWE Championship.
The show also features Dolph Ziggler defending the World Heavyweight Championship against Alberto Del Rio in a rarely-seen double turn, AJ Lee’s first Divas Championship win, and more in front of an awesome Chicago crowd.

This edition of the Rewind-A-Wai is presented by Espresso Executive Producer, Daniel Stack.

Watch the full show on WWE Network here (account required).

WWE Payback
June 16, 2013
Allstate Arena
Rosemont, IL

*Three Stages of Hell for the WWE Championship: John Cena © vs. Ryback
*WWE Tag Team Championship: The Shield (Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins) © vs. Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton
*CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho
*World Heavyweight Championship: Dolph Ziggler © vs. Alberto Del Rio
*WWE United States Championship: Dean Ambrose © vs. Kane
*WWE Divas Championship: Kaitlyn © vs. AJ Lee
*WWE Intercontinental Championship: Wade Barrett © vs. Curtis Axel vs. The Miz

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss this show at the POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon - The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

I lived in Winnipeg for 3 years and I can tell you it’s just an ok place. The most unique things I can say about it are, 1. Cold ass winters, 2. Flooding, 3. Mosquitos and 4. Everyone hates Toronto. Needless to say I was happy to move back to Ontario and the GTA.

1 Like

I would like to see a side by side comparison of all the different looks both Jericho & Punk have had during their careers. When I think about it, both have had a ton of different looks.

Late to the party, but I just want to throw this out there regarding the Miz vs. Barrett vs. Axel finish…

If Miz has Wade Barrett in the figure four, and Barrett’s shoulders are down, isn’t the MIz technically “pinning” him too? (disclaimer: I wasn’t watching weekly at the time, so it’s entirely possible that this argument came up at some point)

1 Like

As a currently non-pateron member I can’t listen to this review. But would anyone care to enlighten me as to why Daniel picked this PPV? If he lives in Chicago I would have thought there were much more interesting shows he might have attended.

Nope. Pay your $6 to find out like the rest of us.

Yes Red Raider, I don’t mind sharing. First off, there is a ton of great shows on patreon, so I recommend checking that side of the site out even at the 6 dollar level. I lived in Chicago most of my life, but actually just moved to Denver after a stint in Southern California. Anyhow, I wanted to pick a show that John and Wai had not reviewed before. The obvious choices were Money in the Bank 2011 and Wrestle Mania 22. I know I could have picked anything due to the universal reset button being pushed with the move to Post Wrestling, but I wanted to go fresh and John & Wai reviewed both of those shows on the old LAW review podcast. Money in the Bank 2011 they had just reviewed with Damian last year, great review if you can find it. I have also been to some famous Raws and Smackdowns that were in Chicago. However, I wanted to choose a PPV, and feel this show is underrated and also shows how immensely popular CM Punk was in Chicago. Also, a friend of mine that I attended WWE Payback with back in 2013 ended up getting sick with cancer and passing away a couple years back. For that reason, this show and that time in my life holds a special value in my memories. I briefly mentioned this on the podcast for anyone that listened. I hope everyone enjoyed the show, looking forward to more Rewind a Wai’s in the future.

1 Like

Rocketking, from what I understand Miz and Axel would both be pinning Barrett in that situation, but it’s a 3 way so who could really make sense of such a match to begin with?

1 Like