REWIND-A-WAI #39: WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede”

Originally published at REWIND-A-WAI #39: WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede” - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – visit Patreon.com/POSTwrestling to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWF In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede (1997) from Calgary, Alberta featuring The Hart Foundation vs. Team Austin in one of the most acclaimed PPVs in WWF/E history.

Also on this show, The Undertaker defends his WWF title against Vader amidst murder allegations from Paul Bearer, The Great Sasuke and TAKA Michinoku make their WWF debuts, and emerging fan favourite Mankind takes on Hunter Hearst Helsmley.

This edition of the Rewind-A-Wai is presented by Espresso Executive Producer, Brent Nicol.

Watch this show on the WWE Network (account required) by clicking here.

WWF In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede
July 6, 1997
Saddledome
Calgary, Alberta

*Bret Hart, Brian Pillman, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart & The British Bulldog (w/ Diana Smith) vs. Steve Austin, Goldust, Ken Shamrock & The Legion Of Doom
*WWF World Heavyweight Title: The Undertaker (c) vs. Vader (w/ Paul Bearer)
*TAKA Michinoku vs. The Great Sasuke
*Hunter Hearst Helmsley (w/ Chyna) vs. Mankind

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Merchandise: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

@BrentyTenty has to be my favorite guest. Loved the H4 story man. Such a good old Canadian farm boy.

2 Likes

Thanks Brad! When I start my agriculture rambles I just assume everyone knows what I’m talking about and forget to explain! Haha

1 Like

I copy and paste the Observer so I can read it when I can while working. Its normally 40,000 words per issue just in case you still cared lol

1 Like

I was obsessed with this show and era of WWF as a kid. Even though they were still getting killed in the ratings by WCW, you could really see WWF starting to turn the corner in 1997 creatively.

If WWF were a football team, 1997 would be the equivalent to being a high scoring, developing team that was 7-9 but very fun to watch and in 1998 they were Super Bowl champions.

2 Likes

Is anyone ever going to choose a WCW review again? I couldnt believe when I heard the next person actually chose a 2017 show. But, its not my money, just would like to hear about a different product and cant afford $50/month at the moment.

Fall 1996, through 1997 into Mania 14 in 1998, is probably the most watchable and entertaining 18 months in WWE history.

I think any fan who lived through that era will agree. When people hope for serious competition again, this era is what they want to see. Logical and well told stories, but also ones that saw risks and the company going outside of its comfort zone.

The first couple of weeks of Raw is War was mind-blowing for a fan. The cosmetic changes were crazy. And coming off of the ECW Raw in February before it, and all sorts of new faces popping up on TV from week to week since switching to the bi-weekly live format… Everything was so exciting and new to the company, and totally out of the style.

Canadian Stampede as a show really captures the essence of this 18 months. The company trying new and exciting things, and really building for the future.

1 Like