REWIND-A-WAI FEEDBACK: WWF "Smack 'Em, Whack 'Em"

This Friday on Rewind-A-Wai, we will be reviewing the WWF Coliseum Home Video: “Smack 'Em, Whack 'Em” on the WWE Network

This was chosen by our Espresso Executive Producer: Jay from OSW

Leave us any feedback or questions for this week’s show.

WWF SMACK 'EM, WHACK 'EM
*Crush vs. The Berzerker
*Repo Man vs. Earthquake
*Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels in a Ladder Match for the Intercontinental title
*Bret Hart vs. Kamala for the WWF title
*Ric Flair vs. Bret Hart for the WWF title
*The Undertaker vs. Razor Ramon

1 Like

Ryan from Calgary,
This collection is from right in my early fandom, but it’s also mostly matches I have not seen before. Between the review from your previous show, and also with the Lapsed Fan reviews, I had heard a lot about Bret Hart’s title win over Flair, and the ladder match with Sean Michaels. Bret’s work is always nice to go back and watch. He has an authenticity and fluidity in the ring that was really impressive. More impressive than his work with Monsoon.

Question:
Do you think there is room for a show every week, or every other week, that is aimed at adults, with language and content that is not appropriate for children? It could be another type of development brand, or it could be a place for people on the roster looking for a change. My biggest issue with the product is between four (Raw, SD, NXT, 205Live) brands, there isn’t that big of a difference in the presentation.

1 Like

Amazing that so much history is involved on this. The first ladder match and Bret’s first WWF title win. This felt like the Bret special but considering this was his crowning moment as the “top guy” it makes sense. From what I remember the ladder match was pretty solid and I enjoyed Bret’s title win as well. I know Bret looks at this moment as one of the first big shifts of WWF going with smaller guys but really I feel that happened when Flair won the title more than when Bret did.

Sam From Long Island
This was fun to watch!

Great matches and fun segments!
Amazing that this ladder match is never mentioned! imagine being told we’re gonna put your first title win on a tape called smack em wack em

Jamie from England

This is a first review for me but it only felt right seeing as it was OSW that got me into the LAW through your introduction to OSW Review 28. I was a lapsed wrestling fan at that point and wanting to get back into it, I figured i’d give your podcasts a go. Now here we are nearly 5 years later and it’s come full circle with Jay from OSW on a Rewind-a-Wai podcast.

That being said, I was considering deleting both podcasts feeds from my iTunes after the first few minutes of Lord Alfred and the Bushwackers, followed by Crush and the Berzeker. My partner questions my wrestling viewing habits at the best of times but i had absolutely no explanation for what i was watching when she saw this.

To me, all four characters in the first two matches, plus the Bush Wackoffs and Lord Alfred, summed up an awful era of wrestling and made me appreciate the excellent state of wrestling today and what I grew up through in the Attitude Era. The Michaels/Hart ladder match was an enjoyable ‘old school’ match, especially against the standard of modern day ladder matches which generally need big spots and rest spots.

The clear main event of the collection is Ric Flair and Bret Hart. I loved watching two greats in Flair and Hart wrestle and the way the crowd bit on every near fall or submission was brilliant. Even watching this now, the smoothness of the two together is a sight to see and felt like a true passing of the torch into the newer era that the WWF was pushing for.