Roku and other Streaming Option Question From an Old Man

I currently watch Netflix and Amazon Prime and formally WWE Network on my PS3. I have thought about getting rid of Netflix and getting Disney+. I was doing a little research and found out that Disney is not supported on the PS 3. My TV is not a “SMART TV”. I told you all this to ask is the Roku the best option for the price range? Is this an item I put on my wireless network then download the apps or programs for the service I want? I am sure there are other questions I should be asking but thats all I can think of at this time.

Any help or opinions are gratefully appreciated.

1 Like

I have a Roku and love it. To answer your question: Roku has a channel/App Store you select the apps you want and either activate them or enter password depending on the app. Also yes you connect it to your WiFi

1 Like

Love my Roku. Tons of great services (and tons of really shitty ones too) available.

Lots of good wrestling streaming services too.

1 Like

I like my FireTV a lot cause it gives you a pretty user friendly interface + if you’re ever interested in NJPW there is a dedicated app.

I would say I prefer my Chromecast the most though - allows me to easily put the Cafe Hangout on tv while I work and most apps are compatible with Chromecast - it lacks the remote and UI though which I would say is the biggest drawback.

1 Like

Is the Chromcast run from your computer? I want something easy to use in case wife ever wants to use it. And to be honest if the cable box does something strange she calls me to fix it. Even if all she really needs to do is reset the box.

I stream from my laptop using my tv as an external monitor.

1 Like

Roku is by far and wide the best option available.

2 Likes

I have a fire stick am able to do my Amazon movies, Netflix, Disney+, and WWE Network on it

1 Like

You use your phone to cast tv,film,photos or music.I have both chromecasts and Firesticks.My wife prefers to use the Firestick as it has traditional remote.

Roku is the easiest for this. Plug it in to your tv, and that’s it. Remote in hand. Simple to use.

1 Like

Yea I Am not even sure what use phone to “Cast” is.

1 Like

I’m not THAT old, but I never really watched much TV.

I bought an amazon smart tv last year and find it works perfectly, and I believe buying the “fire stick” on its own gives you the same options. We have NJWorld, Fite TV, and Netflix and they’re all flawless.

The Chromecast is ran through anything compatible but mostly my phone or the computer. If you have the Chromecast plugged into your TV and connected to your wireless network then every device connected to that network has the capacity to stream to the tv via a Cast icon that will appear on compatible applications.

It sounds more complex than it is but I would say - while I love it and it fits my needs … if you’re worried about ease of use I would probably get something that has a remote option like the FireTV or Roku.

Never too old fella, happy to walk you through either chromecast or firestick

1 Like

I’ve been using a Roku for years (recently upgraded to a newer model that has been running much smoother) and I just got a Fire Stick earlier this year since it has a dedicated app for New Japan World. Both Roku and Amazon Fire offer products in similar price ranges but will do exactly what you’d need them to do. Connect it to a TV using HDMI, plug it into a power source, and connect it through WiFi to find what you need. They also use minimal power.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the information and advice. I think I will go with the Roku as it seems to be the easiest to use and will do what I want.

1 Like

Nvidia shield is best. Cheapest is fire stick