Russia invades Ukraine

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1LyxBowlNzoKN

If anybody here is on Twitter and ever listens to Spaces, I strongly recommend tuning into this one. A really good breakdown of what is going on now.

It seems that the attack on the plant isn’t causing a worry of a meltdown, but the safety of people working there.

1 Like

I agree that the situation may not be as dire as they seem.

However a fire at Europes largest nuclear plant is still a fucking scary situation. That’s why there are so many safeguards built into the design to keep it from melting down. But if the fire impacts the cooling system that is still a possibility.

How about Russia just not bomb nuclear plants and nuclear waste sites. Is that so much to ask.

4 Likes

Looks like Putin has now banned western media outlets like CNN and BBC in Russia itself.

One thing that has been incredible to watch over the last week has been the mobilization of Anonymous in their efforts to have an affect in all of this.

Especially to help communicate to Russian’s who are not aware of what is going on in Ukraine.

Their members have also done a ton of hacking against Russian related government websites, directories, and networks.

1 Like

Russians are also shooting press in Ukraine. So there’s really no question how Putin feels about free speech.

1 Like

I know this may seem like nothing, but Russia detaining an American athlete right now for something as stupid as possession screams political move.

The craziest part of this story to me is that she’s been detained in Russia for at least a week and we are just now hearing about it.

She’s definitely in trouble though as Russia will try to use her as a bargaining chip. And I can’t see the US backing off any sanctions for her safety. So she could be there awhile.

It should be a warning to any Americans in Eastern Europe or Russias ally’s like China. They should probably get out as quick as possible. Preferably by train to fly home from a friendly country.

3 Likes

The vape paraphernalia might be true or false. But if the story is true, why would she even think to travel with that stuff anywhere, especially in a foreign country?

The aligning of China and Russia as discussed in that twitter thread is certainly a power couple that puts the world at risk of more conflict in the future. Although as the author noted it would take time for both countries to really integrate. The best course of action I hope to see is that this causes the US and its allies to unite as well. The war in Ukraine has resulted in a lot of countries like Switzerland changing their stance on neutrality. Hopefully stronger bonds can be formed with them and other democracies like Mexico and India to help counter the growing China/Russia threat.

In other news:

• Russia has seemingly bombed a maternity and children’s hospital in Maripul leaving children and survivors buried in rubble in what is already being called an awful war crime.

• After a slow start many large US based and multi-national corporations are ceasing operations in Russia including McDonalds, Visa/Mastercard, Ford, PepsiCo and Coca-Cola.

• Ceasefires have been agreed to but seemingly not abided by to let civilians escape. So far over 2 million have fled Ukraine.

• President Zelensky continues to inspire Ukrainian resistance that have significantly hampered Russia’s invasion. But as seen in the strike on a Children’s hospital Russia’s siege tactics are getting worse and worse.

• Zelensy also continues to ask Europe and the US for help with defenses and a no-fly zone. So far the no-fly zone continues to be a nonstarter as it would mean NATO forces directly firing on Russian’s and risking all out war. But for the people of Ukraine I doubt they care about the geopolitical repercussions and are just desperate for survival.